Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 768 769 [770] 771 772 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1121449 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11535 on: December 19, 2014, 12:39:35 am »

I played this a fair bit at one point, but I live in Australia sooo...

The game was alright but the lag and hit detection really ended up putting me off.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11536 on: December 19, 2014, 03:07:33 am »

New knife mechanics are really hard to work with. If someone doesn't want you knifing them, it's really really almost impossibly hard to land it. Missing in hectic situations is the norm, too. Before the patch, if someone was in your field of view and was close enough to you, you'd hit them. Now you actually need to aim your knife, if your opponent isn't in your reticule its unlikely you'll land the swipe.

Haven't seen any of the new spitfire turrets. I hear they are really weak though, both offensively and defensively. No problem with something like this being a little underpowered, but right now it might be too underpowered. You can probably get more damage and area denial out of a couple AI mines.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11537 on: December 19, 2014, 05:34:47 am »

They also fixed the decals on Galaxys. BEST PATCH EVER!
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11538 on: December 19, 2014, 07:48:47 am »

Considering how often I (don't) see people using the actual AI turrets (except sometimes as a piece of cover) I'd say that the Spitfire turret could be more useful for people who don't actually use the AI turret, or for a single person or small group of people to cover more entrances to a building they otherwise couldn't.

If you have to aim the knives that would be silly, the animation is clearly a wide swipe across the screen so even at the edges of your vision you would still hit the enemy (if not quite as hard). This is the problem with melee in pretty much every FPS ever, instead of causing damage along the length of a swing, instead it will only cause damage in the center of the crosshair. Most notable for averting this problem is Chivalry, a mod for Half-Life 2 (and later full game) which had a more believable melee mechanic even using a game that otherwise just has the 'point damage' melee.

Wielding knives to swing them quicker is handy, but I really would have liked a mag-sword or something with longer reach (Bayonets, anyone?). It seems at least half the time I've used knives I miss because the enemy is just out of reach, and it's pretty annoying because I've hit people who I thought were out of range before, and missed people who I thought were in range.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11539 on: December 19, 2014, 09:30:20 am »

Apparently the AI turrets will shoot at opponents regardless of whats in their path, resulting in a few confused heavies wondering what shot them in the back.

So, about as useful as your regular NC then  :P

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11540 on: December 19, 2014, 10:02:45 am »

I played a bit the other day and apparently people still run in front of well-placed engie turrets. I imagine they think, "oh, this engineer is just afk facing this doorway right next to enemy spawn".

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11541 on: February 02, 2015, 02:06:19 pm »

Sooo, SOE was sold by Sony to an Investment holding company thing, now called Daybreak Game Company? This is obviously going to affect this game, but I'm just not sure HOW.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11542 on: February 02, 2015, 02:16:16 pm »

Maybe Planetside will get more creative freedom? Hopefully?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11543 on: February 02, 2015, 02:20:20 pm »

It could be good, neutral, or bad, but I'm not betting on good.  I doubt Sony influenced game design much; most of those calls came from SOE leadership AFAIK.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11544 on: February 02, 2015, 02:29:35 pm »

I've been meaning to post in this topic for a while but the interest doesn't seem to be great enough. Honestly, I wish that they would go back and revamp pretty much the entire game, but since a lot of stuff available can be purchased with real money that would be a huge issue.

Right now, I'm not really sure what I want out of Planetside in the short-term. Stability maybe? Optimization? More meaningful objectives? Rebalancing weapons to make them feel a bit more faction specific? (I am kinda stunned how varied the NC arsenal is compared to the other factions, we got a carbine with a much higher ROF than the highest ROF TR carbine, at least for a while, dunno if they changed it)...

At the beginning of January the big boss (Smedley) came in on Reddit claiming that all progress on game features etc. as going to stop so that they could work on fixing the game a bit... but I don't know if I've heard anything about that since, especially considering they're doing vehicle weapon rebalancing right now along with PS4 Beta.

As a fan of this game I really hope for the best, the only other games I've poured more hours into are ARMA and Mount & Blade, and I have spent quite a lot of money to show my support.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11545 on: February 02, 2015, 02:33:49 pm »

Is PS2 the epitome of eternal beta games?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11546 on: February 02, 2015, 02:36:02 pm »

Is PS2 the epitome of eternal beta games?

I really want to say no, but with Hossin (the fourth continent from the original game's twelve) still in "beta" status (Or did they finally unbeta it?  I can't remember.  Still, 4/12) it's hard to disagree.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11547 on: February 02, 2015, 02:46:44 pm »

Hossin is no longer "under constructrion" according to the loading screen, but there are still prefab 'construction site' bases littered around the map (though some of them have been renamed). There have been some interesting looking facilities put down but the most interesting one (I think it's called fort drexler?) is so close to a warpgate that it's unlikely to see as much action as one of the prefab bases near the center of the continent.

Plus, the Valkyrie is still extremely underwelming, they need to put a pilot operated nosegun on it or something, make squad logistics a default option, and make it hover similarly to a galaxy (especially considering it's supposed to be easier to fly than an ESF, they need to add some training wheels for newer pilots). Actually, vehicles in general need to be looked into, and the resource system needs to be fixed. Basically tanks should be tougher but require more investment, so you don't throw one out and pull another as soon as it dies, rinse, repeat.

There are plenty of things in the game that aren't really finished or just have basic functionality (mission system, squad/platoon management) and some things that were thrown in as an effort to make some money (buying attachments with money even though they were one of the few things only available with in-game currency, and they don't even apply to all weapons of the same category which is the only reason you'd get them with SC. Then there's the whole implant system. People are putting up a huge stink because they nerfed the effects of lower tier Battle Hardened implant then increased the amount of screen shake. "Spend money to have normal screen shake" people are saying.).

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11548 on: February 02, 2015, 04:38:26 pm »

I played a little bit a couple of weeks ago. I lost interest pretty quickly once more.

All I want out of the game is a balanced infantry experience, but MAXes and heavy overshields still exist. The game would be better if both of them were removed, but that's never going to happen.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11549 on: February 03, 2015, 12:05:35 am »

Not sure about the Heavies, but isn't there a limitation on MAXes?
Pages: 1 ... 768 769 [770] 771 772 ... 826