Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1122240 times)

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Soon to be released MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #4080 on: November 21, 2012, 08:43:08 pm »

I'm assuming you've never heard the horror stories about command from Planetside 1.
I know I havent. Elaborate, then.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Soon to be released MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #4081 on: November 21, 2012, 08:56:13 pm »

This game is great; I love the scale of the battles, the visuals, the sound, the gunplay, and the sci fi theme... it's hitting all the right notes with me.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: November 21, 2012, 09:01:11 pm »

I just had my first experience with the queue. This is the worst. It reminds me of amusement parks. It wouldn't be as bad if characters weren't server bound.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: November 21, 2012, 09:14:52 pm »

Eh, it's a MMO that just launched. Queues are par for the course (heck, I'd be concerned if there weren't any queues).

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: November 21, 2012, 09:33:11 pm »

What I find harsh is logging on and then being dropped straight into battle, as a new LA with no experience, getting killed within 5 seconds was a bit of a shock.  But it happens every time - one crash so far - arrive on Amerish the second time hot-dropped in front of a dozen Vanu, what chance does an engineer have?
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4085 on: November 21, 2012, 09:51:16 pm »

It did that to me the first time, but subsequent logins put me at the warp gate as expected.

Dropping in as an LA right on top of a whole platoon or more of TR was fun though. I maneuvered my pod onto a building and flew around building to building shooting people. By the time some of them got over the shock of me just appearing on a roof top among 50 or so of them I had killed enough to get a few certs and was able to immediately buy some of the cheap upgrades.

I can definitely see it going bad for a newbie though. I've had a few occasions where I saw a drop pod coming down and shot the light infantry standing there the second he landed, so I assume I kind of screwed up some people's first steps in the game lol.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: November 21, 2012, 10:22:17 pm »

Maybe it did it to me twice cause I crashed out of the game.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: November 21, 2012, 10:42:24 pm »

Well, I made a NC on Mattherson (ToasterTheAwesome), but I won't be playing until the end of the year when I get a new PC and can actually run the game.

Sony says I have 45 days of time for PS1- I might see if it's not lying to me and screw around there.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: November 21, 2012, 11:18:13 pm »

Is continent-switching not working for anyone else?  I'm stuck on Esamir which is basically bullshit right now.

Also, how important are the new guns?  Because right now I'm losing about 9/10 straight firefights and I know I'm not that bad at shooters.
Shoes...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: November 21, 2012, 11:19:26 pm »

FYI:  Planetside 1 is almost completely empty.  Like, two people empty.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #4090 on: November 21, 2012, 11:28:15 pm »

Tried it earlier today.  Instant action is fun at least.  Doesn't give you any time to sort your shit though.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: November 21, 2012, 11:42:12 pm »

FYI:  Planetside 1 is almost completely empty.  Like, two people empty.
They need to hurry up and make it F2P then.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: November 21, 2012, 11:47:02 pm »

Is continent-switching not working for anyone else?  I'm stuck on Esamir which is basically bullshit right now.

Also, how important are the new guns?  Because right now I'm losing about 9/10 straight firefights and I know I'm not that bad at shooters.

Don't know what you're doing wrong.

Earlier today, I ramboed a small outpost as a medic. First try.

Then again, I ramboed a small outpost. They probably never expected an attack.
I need to put something interesting here.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #4093 on: November 22, 2012, 12:02:02 am »

In order to switch continents, you have to either be alive and use an instant action area in the map screen or go to the warp gate and use a world terminal.

I've found that recoil is poorly done, but at the same time it's impossible to hit anything without going full auto. The beginning scopes are also pure rubish - Get one with a zoom you're comfortable with and it gets a little better. Flanking and hiding are also extremely important.

I'm still getting killed a lot, too, though. It's gotten to the point where I can't see how I lose so many fights where the odds are stacked in my favor.

Infiltrator helps a lot with that, since it's the only class that can perform with finesse at medium to long ranges. Everything else is just a spray and pray fest, which I find boring. I wish there were more guns that didn't feel so ineffective. The fact that it's impossible for a newbie to get any new guns doesn't help.

Still having a load of fun, though.

Edit: Also don't forget to play with the mouse sensitivity. The default is mindbogglingly high.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:05:02 am by Knight of Fools »
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: November 22, 2012, 12:07:57 am »

Edit: Also don't forget to play with the mouse sensitivity. The default is mindbogglingly high.
I find it to be a good amount. I also play with max sensitivity on consoles, so. But turning fast is good.

The tutorials state this*, but mouse acceleration should be turned off. It's better that way. And default.

*I'm probably the only one here who watched the tutorial videos.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 826