Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1123570 times)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: In beta MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #3270 on: October 15, 2012, 10:20:51 pm »

Currently the south west warpgate has the terrain advantage on easmir because you have ALOT of mech materials(but less aerospace) a short ways away, although defending a tower from the TR zerg was pretty fun, throw grenade, die to enemy gunfire, get 5 kills, respawn, repeat. but it is interesting...you currently get 5 araxium and 1 resource of the area your fighting in for every 25 exp.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: October 15, 2012, 11:13:26 pm »

They're apparently phasing auraxium out to make weapons cost certs, though, which is slightly baffling since I've gotten a whopping 11 certs in the $weeks that I didn't play since the reset, and got only 3 more while playing today. It doesn't help that to get full cert gain rates when there's no defense, I had to stand around waiting for capture, instead of doing the strategically wise thing and continuing blitzing while the capture progressed on its own (I assume it continues progressing still when nobody is babysitting it if all points remain ours, as I have in the past seen it flip when I was out of range to get the +500, but it was pre-reset when cert gain was faster and I actually had sights and shit).

I haven't bought *any* certs - I can't even buy a reflex sight or anything for the tanks or scythe.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:16:13 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: October 16, 2012, 01:26:19 am »

srsly? Every time I come on its a nice almost 33% each. We pushed some Vanu back, was fun.
Maybe I've just been unlucky in the times I can get on.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: October 16, 2012, 02:13:05 am »

They're apparently phasing auraxium out to make weapons cost certs, though, which is slightly baffling since I've gotten a whopping 11 certs in the $weeks that I didn't play since the reset, and got only 3 more while playing today

Yes, this is very disappointing unless they increase cert gains a small to moderate bit. It's already difficult to unlock the highest magnification, or reflex scope even, because it's a cert 'tree' rather than pick and choose. If they don't up cert gain a bit and you have to unlock weapons as well, you'll see a whole bunch of default classes and vehicles running around for a long, long time.

EDIT: Also it should be noted that without an increase in certs or decrease in price, the rate of character diversification will more than be halved in a new cert only system since certs currently gain more slowly compared to today's auraxium system, so if they make the auraxium system into a cert based one and don't change either cost or cert increase rate it means fewer different guns AND attachments on both vehicles and infantry weapons.

I suppose it depends on how long the devs think unlocking things should take. Other than the cheapest certs like flashlight, level 1 flak armor (1 cert), first C4 (4 certs), and class necessary things like medic healing (1 cert) I think I've unlocked the first level of zoom for the Flash 20mil, and the first scope for the infil's sniper rifle. I'll have to check when PS2 servers return how many certs I had overall (unless they do a char wipe), but I think it was around 50 or 60ish.

Also today some Vanu were exploiting the Phalanx turret's graphic bug; they'd turn the turret around and wait for an infiltrator to come try to hack it to pull them out. The bug was it looked like it was facing outwards. I yelled out to warn the NC in the area and a vanu actually had the testicles to send me a /tell whining that I was crying about dieing (to their exploits) when I was warning other NC away from doing the same. They left shortly after a bit of mocking in /yell and being warned another bug report was sent in with their name in it. Sometimes bragging about getting 17 kills through exploiting can make you change your ways apparently.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 02:32:40 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: October 16, 2012, 02:38:50 am »

Surely cert gain should be painfully slow, so that people cough up $$$ to speed things along a bit?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: October 16, 2012, 02:45:45 am »

Yeah, that makes sense and all, except for the fact you'll want to encourage free players to stay in the game. This they won't do if they constantly are steamrolled as fodder by people who had the cash to spend on the game. Believe me, they will form squads and just wreck the unorganized, poorly equipped masses.

Basically it's a laffer curve in free games considering free players. You want a whole bunch of free players, because they will very rarely spend money. If you don't have enough of them, you rely on well moneyed players who buy everything (or who can afford what they want if things are extremely pricey) and in the current economy there aren't enough around for that.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 02:49:36 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: October 16, 2012, 06:02:44 am »

Except that the default weapons are (should be, by SoE's own statements) not a direct upgrade over the default weapons. Yes, they will sometimes be strictly better for certain situations (eg, shotguns if you're fighting strictly in close-quarters) but even then you're extremely likely to come into a situation that isn't that exact situation (even biolabs, the big indoor fighting arenas, have a decently sized area in the centre and on the landing pads after a foothold has been established that shotguns wouldn't be so effective in (note that I haven't played with a shotgun, or indeed at all since the massive cert thing). Even if some guns do end up being strictly better than other guns a person with the worse gun will still be able to kill the people with the better gun depending on their positioning and support.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: October 16, 2012, 08:47:47 am »

Infiltrators with shotguns seem to be the popular OP thing at the moment... and I'll admit... it's pretty hard to defend against them

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #3278 on: October 16, 2012, 09:28:28 am »

They said they will be increasing cert gain soon. Don't worry.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: October 16, 2012, 10:27:19 am »

Does anyone have a beta key they can throw my way?

It'd be muchly appreciated, thanks.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: October 16, 2012, 10:45:47 am »

Sent.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: October 16, 2012, 11:39:05 am »

Does anyone else have a spare beta key that I can have?  I've tried posting on their official forums but no luck there.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: October 16, 2012, 11:48:20 am »

Also sent, but that's my last one.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: October 16, 2012, 11:52:56 am »

I believe I have an extra key in my email if someone wants to shoot me a pm so I remember to send it to you, I should be able to fire it off this evening.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: October 16, 2012, 12:13:43 pm »

So is everyone playing on US EAST then? From the looks of the recent posts (I didn't go through all of them), it looks like no one is really on US WEST.
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 826