Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1123833 times)

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Upcoming MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. Beta is beta folks.
« Reply #3075 on: October 06, 2012, 06:38:50 pm »

As of now I'd assume the US one :P. But I don't think the outfit's been made yet.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3076 on: October 06, 2012, 06:48:00 pm »

200+ pages and nothing's happening still?

I joined the EU one. Also, it doesn't look like my PC can run this above 20fps at minimum settings :P

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: October 06, 2012, 06:52:47 pm »

Would like one of the beta keys if posible, been wanting to try this for a time.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: October 06, 2012, 07:03:07 pm »

So according to my email, I'm in the beta now.
But I have a question for ye that have played it for awhile already: Does it work at all if your graphics capability is on the low side but your cpu/ram is decent?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: October 06, 2012, 07:25:46 pm »

But I have a question for ye that have played it for awhile already: Does it work at all if your graphics capability is on the low side but your cpu/ram is decent?

Hard to tell, could you post your specs?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3080 on: October 06, 2012, 07:27:33 pm »

Should do, the game seems to be principally bottlenecked by the cpu for most people who have problems.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: October 06, 2012, 07:32:59 pm »

4GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit.
Intel Core i3 M350 @2.27GHz (4 CPUs)
Intel HD Graphics

Dxdiag says I have directx 11 but I know quite well from trying to run SOTS II that anything above DX9 works spottily at best on here.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: October 06, 2012, 07:37:19 pm »

Is it me, or are certs hard to get? Or is just because I've been healing and reviving people?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: October 06, 2012, 08:24:36 pm »

Don't really see the problem.  You can just idle until you can buy HE rounds for a tank, zephyr cannon for the lib, or rocket pods and then farm infantry for xp and certs.

"You have been disconnected for inactivity."
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3084 on: October 06, 2012, 09:06:53 pm »

Damn, got weapons locked apparently. It never actually gave me the message, and the actual lock occured after another TANK hit my TANK and neither of us seemed to get any damage (I was just suddenly unable to fire, no message about being locked).

All probably goes back to me spawning in my tank in a crowded tower base and having the tank mow down like 6 or 7 people as it rolled out and before I had control of it. Other than that I only hit around 3 or 4 idiots who ran into my tank while maneuvering around to get ammo from a nearby base before returning to the front, so it shouldn't have been enough for a lock. Never did get any "This is your final warning!" message either, just the standard you have been firing on allied forces be careful etc etc.

I had a good run, 50 kills and only 10 deaths. If not for the weapons lock I could have kept on going, kept that Vanguard alive for several hours.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: October 06, 2012, 10:52:08 pm »

Yeah, I've been warned a lot despite never having done it on purpose, which is fine as otherwise it might not be effective. However, and I'll explain why this might be an issue, I've even received the final warning once when people kept running in front of me when I was shooting a rocket launcher at certain things a certain class can build. I haven't been locked yet though, thank goodness. My suggestion would be to make the reset timer on that go a bit faster because I'm warned all the time (which is not an issue) despite not doing it on purpose and it seems to take a while to reset and thus the warnings escalate fairly quickly. For example: I saw some dead NC infantry outside a thing that was being taken over. It turns out it was an NC guy taking it over but I didn't know that; he was at low health so when I popped around the corner and shot the first guy I saw I team-killed him, and received the warning despite apologizing to the poor fellow who was actually on my team. That was the start of the warnings; over an hour (it seemed to me, definitely not a scientific measurement) and I think one auto-logout due to a desperate and sudden need to go poo later I then inadvertently shot a few people with a rocket who were popping out of cover in front of me to shoot with their rifles as I mentioned above. After maybe two of those and being warned with increasingly threatening messages I received a message that said it was the final warning so with a bit of irritation I began to play much more conservatively out of fear of weapons lock. I had never received the original message again so I think it must have built up over time and never declined so to speak.

Also occasionally I get warned even though I only hit the guy with a few bullets and don't kill them; and these things happen fairly often when a lot of people are around and you are in a firefight in this game.

Makes me think I sure hope the government never hands me a rifle and tells me to go fight; I'd feel terrible if I did that to a real person on my team who can't respawn. Or any person really. So don't start any wars you silly government or you'll make me feel bad for killing a fellow sentient irreversibly.

Also, yes the uncontrollable vehicle rollout is terrible. I would recommend to the devs to do the following: make two, or better three vehicle spawn points and alternate them as people spawn vehicles. Let's say 1 2 and 3 spawn points. Spawn 1 first at the far left, then 3 at the far right, then the middle one. Heck if that doesnt work go to 4 points. Also consider removing the uncontrolled bit though if necessary keep the forward momentum. I've had vehicles become caught within each other where one has to go forward and one backwards; I've had the tiny vehicle almost blow up from flipping from uncontrollably ramming into the rear of a big vehicle, I've had all kinds of traffic accidents from being catapulted forward, and of course I've run over lots of infantry from the same. To hear that someone was gun locked because of it horrifies me.

EDIT2: Also the tiny vehicle probably shouldn't blow up when it flips upside down. It's pretty silly and while it's hilarious now it's also kind of a pain in the ass. If you want maybe the driver could take some damage because he's exposed, maybe like all your shields or something then if it happens again it kills you since you are after all exposed on that one. The upside down explosion sort of makes sense on the big vehicles since otherwise they would be useless and eating system resources and possibly exploitable as a roadblock, but perhaps a delay like in the Grand Theft Auto games to give time to bail out would be in order instead of the instant kaboom. Granted it's really, really hard to flip a vehicle other than the little guy but when it does it's instant crew or in one case team death.

Finally I've been using the little vehicle with a gun on it, and I've been driving up stairs in bases with it. It's cool and I hope you still allow it. That said with the ease of flipping on stairs with that vehicle and the current explodability issues of it, it means a respawn unless I'm very, very careful.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also I don't do it unless there are  no teammates around because running over your team is not a fruitful endeavor. That said, running over a few vanu while they capture something upstairs would be extremely satisfying. I had squadmates congratulating me on for almost running them over while driving the little vehicle to a captureable place and the appropriate spot where squaddies had just cleared Vanu enemies off seconds previous to my arrival with a "You crazy bastard." At that I hopped off ashamed but then they said "No, no, don't get off. That's a good weapon. Good idea."

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 11:57:14 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: October 06, 2012, 11:41:12 pm »

It's funny that it'll lock your guns, your tools, everything except... you're still allowed to drive. I'm amazed they haven't separated friendly fire and hit-and-run and locked driving for people who hit-and-run (and done something about the vehicle spawning other than rearranging the spawns at the WG (because it's only rarely actually intentional on the part of the driver as far as I know)).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3087 on: October 07, 2012, 08:32:09 am »

I saw a guy intentionally running people over in tanks (lightning, then vanguard when other NC killed his lightning, then another lightning when they killed the vanguard). He kept doing it and nothing ever happened past the weapon lock. Not sure if it extended or anything, but he must have mowed down 100 people or more and it never stopped him from driving. At one point he was parked behind a Sunderer where people were spawning, and driving forward to smush them repeatedly every time someone came to reequip from it. Not sure how long he kept it up since I went elsewhere.

It would be nice if they separated it. Make a irresponsible driver warning that locks you out of vehicles for running teammates over and is completely separate from weapon lock, that way you really have to be griefing (or an absolutely terrible player, lol) to get locked on both and unable to play at all. Weapon lock should only lock harmful things too, if someone does get weapon locked they should still be able to help out by healing, reviving, and repairing if they want to.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 08:36:04 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: October 07, 2012, 08:44:23 am »

Currently downloading right now...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: October 07, 2012, 09:01:32 am »

I have noticed that despite the AMS being stripped away from it, with the much higher pops because of server consolidation, the Galaxy is still being used very often as a shuttle to the frontlines and for hotdrops. Which is great because, as we all know, Hotdrops are awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 826