Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1123073 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Upcoming MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. Beta is beta folks.
« Reply #2385 on: September 07, 2012, 04:05:16 am »

I think they're being really hamfisted with the balancing (at least in terms of weapon damage and such) because they don't really care yet. As Ivefan said, they have other things to worry about first. They just adjust thing to shut people up and keep them playing.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: September 07, 2012, 04:26:52 am »

I played this thing for like a year and they still haven't sent me a beta key :(

Smedley has been telling people who should have access to email here: happytohelp@soe.sony.com
If you were a previous subscriber to Planetside, you should have access now.

Does this work? Has anyone tried it?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: September 07, 2012, 04:31:04 am »

The NDA is down, you don't have to be intentionally vague about stuff.  We won't be offended if you think cyclomaxs are too stronk or something like that.
FUCK THEM. I tried every fucking combo of weapons on NC maxes and they get me in a one-on-one Every Single Fucking Time. The only thing that helps against them is LA or infil being sneaky, or just plain outnumbering them.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: September 07, 2012, 04:36:18 am »

lol.  Reload times suck ;).  Both your max weapons have tiny capacity and can't match the sustain of a cyclomax, which is as it should be.   

NC burst is so much better though.  Scattermax can kill a HA with 1 shot from both arms.  It'll take the cyclomax that can beat your max 1v1 about 10 seconds or so to beat that HA, if the HA doesn't outmaneuver him and kill him with his rockets.

If you had a planetside 1 account, you should be able to get in beta.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: September 07, 2012, 04:46:07 am »

Yeah, but the NC MAX is often way too slow to find cover for reloading... It's frustrating.
I threw out the scatterguns though, it only helps at point-blank range, and tried dual-mortar. They work surprisingly well point-blank, have awesome range, and, when aimed well, can hit infantry hiding just around a corner. Reloading is a bitch, though, you'll need to time that really well.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: September 07, 2012, 05:00:09 am »

I liked the mortars.  Their range is so much better than the TR MAX AT, though again capacity and, therefore, sustain was lacking.  Basically, NC MAX are better at engaging small groups of infantry and they can actually use their AT kit for AT.  Which is troublesome, since it doesn't leave the NC with a really good MAX killer.  That shouldn't be so much of a problem when MAX suits are on a CD, but for the time being it means you have to lure cyclomaxs and the vanu ATmaxs into ambushes to effectively counter them.

I think the vanu MAX is the strongest max unit, as it's AT weapon is usable at >100m, has no drop, and is supereffective against infantry.  Which is fair, since so much of the vanus stuff sucks right now.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: September 07, 2012, 05:11:22 am »

The NDA is down, you don't have to be intentionally vague about stuff.  We won't be offended if you think cyclomaxs are too stronk or something like that.
FUCK THEM. I tried every fucking combo of weapons on NC maxes and they get me in a one-on-one Every Single Fucking Time. The only thing that helps against them is LA or infil being sneaky, or just plain outnumbering them.

What? Really? If you're not playing NC, you can kill the NC MAX easily with a MAX of whatever faction you ARE playing. The NC dual pounder MAX spends 100% of its time reloading (it takes the same amount of time to fire the three shots in an arm as it does to reload the other arm, so you have to alternate to have continual fire, but this means you're reloading all the time and have much less firepower than a Vanu AV MAX who can just spam projectiles from both arms simultaneously for several seconds).

Of course the alternate strategy for the NC MAX is to get dual scatterguns, fire them both simultaneously at an enemy MAX, and then die while reloading. I'm not joking, either. Here's a video wherein some people tested the NC max against the TR max, with both the AI and AV weapons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBw_I_GCmho (Spoiler: The TR max won every time)

It's not very effective. I tried using dual pounders on an AA turret earlier. After adjusting for the drop (which took some time as I was firing from long range and the drop is huge compared to the last time I tried the Vanu AV MAX, and compared to the NC HA rocket launcher), I hit it with 30 or more rounds (which took several minutes to fire). It survived. It even looked like it was being repaired despite my continual barrage of shells striking it. I eventually ran out of ammo and charged forward, to get killed by one of those pesky cannon turrets.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 05:14:46 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: September 07, 2012, 05:16:30 am »

What? Really? If you're not playing NC, you can kill the NC MAX easily with a MAX of whatever faction you ARE playing.
Yeah, that's what I was saying :)

Having dual pounder-MAX and an engy at my back, managed to get quite a few kills spamming on lightnings from cover, and killing or damaging incoming infantry. It's not very useful for anything else. For real anti-tower or anti-tank damage you'll need a HA, the only thing the MAX is good for is absorbing damage.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: September 07, 2012, 05:49:37 am »

Ahh, I thought you were saying you were trying to kill an NC MAX as some other faction. Which is far too easy. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: September 07, 2012, 06:57:23 am »

Might still be keys for North Americans here: http://www.curse.com/betas/planetside-2-beta-key Edit: NO KEYZ 4 U, sry.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 07:24:24 am by Siquo »

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #2395 on: September 07, 2012, 07:08:49 am »

Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: September 07, 2012, 08:12:45 am »

1206 MB update? YES PELASE!

and no patch notes.

typical.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2397 on: September 07, 2012, 08:22:23 am »

Looks like they have finally started putting announcements in the news section of the launcher. Still nothing about any changes from this patch though.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: September 07, 2012, 08:30:39 am »

Why give patch notes or tell people there will be a 1.2GB patch?

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: September 07, 2012, 08:42:57 am »

Isn't IGN giving out beta keys today?
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 826