Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1122812 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Upcoming MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. Beta is beta folks.
« Reply #2250 on: September 03, 2012, 09:15:57 pm »

I don't know about you, but my reaver sure doesn't act like it has unlimited afterburner. The mosquito seems to perform much better with its afterburner, with both fighters having 0 afterburner fuel certs (because they are really bloody expensive, and anywhere I need to go I get there so fast anyways that afterburners almost seem like a waste). (Side note: reavers are supposed to have more armor than anyone else's fighters - the other two fighters are supposed to have different advantages :V. They still blow up easily when shot by sufficient (more than one) AA turret if they don't flee)

I tried using the reaver's A2A missiles on a galaxy yesterday. Fired every A2A missile I carried while it was in the air, all of them hit. Then I switched to guns and kept firing. It landed, smoking, I kept firing, and then landed on top of it because it had started shooting back, and then I continued shooting it while landed on top of it.

Someone hopped out and blew me up at that point, and it was still just smoking - and then naturally they just repaired it back to full health.

Now THOSE are flying tanks... It only takes 2 A2A missiles to take down a reaver and they're impossible to evade with fancy maneuvers other than flying around obstacles to cause it to lose lock, or jumping past 250 m/s (I believe) and maintaining until you get out of the missile's range, which is only possible with afterburners and only if you can fly far enough with them on (even tapping the afterburners key I couldn't maintain 250 m/s and quickly ran out of fuel, but this is with no afterburner fuel certs). Someone posted a thread on the forum claiming that the reaver could fly forever above 300 m/s with afterburners (by tapping them) but he had fully certed them, so I have no way to confirm it since that is bloody expensive and it doesn't work at all with 0 afterburner certs.

The Galaxy, on the other hand, just laughed at the 4 or 5 A2A missiles I hit it with (not sure if I started with 4 or 5, there was a 4 shown but it might've been the ammo left after the 1 that was loaded initially).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:28:18 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: September 03, 2012, 10:34:29 pm »

If you ever try flying a galaxy, it's really not all that easy to keep alive either. Now, on the ground, it does gain some extra shields if you can find a flat place to deploy them... short of tank main cannons or sustained rocket fire or a turret, they're tough to deal with on the ground...(I watched an AA turret pound on one for a long time the other day as it was landed. Didn't even cause it to smoke. I eventually got into a mosquito and hovered nearby laying into it along with the turret and we finally got through the shields enough that by the time I was taken out, the turret finished it off, but it took both of us together to destroy it.) but in the air they're not much more sturdy than a liberator. The downside is that they're pretty slow, and unless you have manned turrets, and preferably the top/tail upgraded to AA, then you're defenseless... the normal turrets really aren't all that accurate although each hit does hurt a bit. 2-3 hits will kill a full health soldier. 15 seconds of sustained fire will kill a vanguard. But I've had 90% of my shots miss soldiers that are walking right next to the galaxy. More than 1 or 2 hits on a reaver is rare before it moves. Now the upgraded AA turrets... those are somewhat mean... very rapid fire, and while the damage isn't that great, it's so much easier to aim since you have a tracer stream to aim with rather than just trying to shoot in an area ahead of the target and look for the hit marker.

Oh I know what you mean! It's Seabed Listening Post and West Highlands Checkpoint, innit?
That canyon base demands high causalities to take. Snipers paradise and all the tanks gets funneled into a small area easily bombed.
Anyone unlocked the skyguard or the prowler AA(walker?) and care to share their thoughts? Currently considering which one to get.
I'm ivefan on EU1 playing TR.

Speaking of the walker aa gun, I have it on the top turret of my gal, like I said, it's amazing... Go for it if you can get it as long as it doesn't replace the main gun on the tank. I don't think it should though.

Tonights play was fun. I snuck around as a infiltrator for a while. Didn't do much except get a couple of nice hits on a ATV rider and eventually a kill assist for it. At one point an enemy soldier ambushed me and a medic inside a building. Killed the medic, but I pulled out the pistol and killed him with one life bar left. Ended up doing the foot travel thing for a while, cloaking and dodging between cover to avoid detection by the constant enemy air overhead. Made it to a biolab outskirt point, and found an AFK guy, before I could decide if I wanted to risk killing him, another guy dropped in, luckily I was cloaked. I think he saw me, but I lost him somewhat quickly. Made a second attempt to throw a grenade at the two guys... but screwed that up as well, ended in a short chase where I evaded yet again... Decided to leave that area and head to the biolab proper. Snuck through the framework and crates at the base, saw a couple of enemies but no good opportunities for a kill so I just made it up to a hill top where I harassed a bit, didn't get anything good. Waited till the team capped the biolab and walked up to a galaxy, caught a ride, capped a couple of lightly/not at all defended outposts before ending up at the crown. By this point I'd switched to HA. The gal did a pass over the crown, but apparently I was the only one who dropped out... or the only one to survive anyway... VS had it held pretty tightly. I snuck around, as a HA, tried capping a point but got chased out, losing a bit of life in the process. Hid for a bit longer. Made my way over to the spawn control, snuck in, destroyed it, got out quick. Waited till I saw it was being repaired and moved back in for the easy kill, destroyed the control again and went back outside to wait again. At some point a medic came by and healed me and the team made a concentrated assault on the crown, taking it. I'd like to think I'd made a difference by keeping their spawners down. After that I quit for the time being... 'twas a good session. Biolab got stuttery for a bit near cap time, but there wasn't much action then, so it didn't matter too much. Rest was pretty smooth except one or two hitches at the crown.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: September 04, 2012, 03:18:26 am »

VS showed me how to take the Crown: have two teams of 5 take points B and C simultaneously, so everyone will leave the tower trying to recap those, then land two friggin galaxies on the tower (coming from the north, from below, where the aa turrets can't get them), and unload a shitload of MAXes and infantry. Bonus points for having two magriders coming in by road. We were wiped out in 5 minutes.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: September 04, 2012, 05:38:09 am »

Like in DF, when in doubt more magma err spinning *sock* hitting the head, fratcuring the skull, cruising the brain. Surgical strike FTW!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: September 04, 2012, 06:16:06 am »

Like in DF, when in doubt more magma err spinning *sock* hitting the head, fratcuring the skull, cruising the brain. Surgical strike FTW!

Ya, what he... wait...... what?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: September 04, 2012, 11:29:52 am »

By the way, for those of you not in Beta. Any questions? Any SCIENCE you want me to test/perform? I'm usually on for an hour or two a night, so I'd have no problem doing some tests.

For example. I've tested Galaxy Surfing. It doesn't work very well. It's easy to stand on a motionless vehicle (which is great, not a feature all games have, no invisible walls keeping you off of them, it's just like walking on normal terrain). However, as soon as a vehicle starts moving, you don't. Plus you start taking collision damage from the vehicle.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: September 04, 2012, 11:41:31 am »

Not to mention that collision damage is pretty much instant death even at low speeds. A real problem when trying to move forwards with tanks, especially when that collision damage counts towards grief lock for the driver.

You can do high altitude Galaxy drops though. A little complex and risky, but we had a great tower assault a few days back.

You (somehow - not convinced this is WAI) get the Galaxy to deploy at or near max altitude. Because it's deployed people can respawn at it. Because the only nearby surface is the Galaxy itself, they respawn on it. The soldiers can then drop onto the target beneath the Galaxy.

Smart soldiers will enter the Galaxy first.

Dropping from inside a Galaxy you don't take any falling damage. You do still maintain your momentum though, so hitting an uneven surface can result in a second fall that you do take damage from. Try aiming for a large open area.

We had a couple of dozen people randomly dropping from the sky onto an utterly confused TR force. It was entertaining. For the few minutes it took to recapture the base, although I died from the fall as many times as I safely landed.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: September 04, 2012, 12:21:39 pm »

Not to mention that collision damage is pretty much instant death even at low speeds. A real problem when trying to move forwards with tanks, especially when that collision damage counts towards grief lock for the driver.

You can do high altitude Galaxy drops though. A little complex and risky, but we had a great tower assault a few days back.

You (somehow - not convinced this is WAI) get the Galaxy to deploy at or near max altitude. Because it's deployed people can respawn at it. Because the only nearby surface is the Galaxy itself, they respawn on it. The soldiers can then drop onto the target beneath the Galaxy.

Smart soldiers will enter the Galaxy first.

Dropping from inside a Galaxy you don't take any falling damage. You do still maintain your momentum though, so hitting an uneven surface can result in a second fall that you do take damage from. Try aiming for a large open area.

We had a couple of dozen people randomly dropping from the sky onto an utterly confused TR force. It was entertaining. For the few minutes it took to recapture the base, although I died from the fall as many times as I safely landed.

Ya, you may want to send that as a bug, pretty sure galaxies aren't supposed to deploy mid-air.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: September 04, 2012, 05:49:05 pm »

Damnint, non-prime members have to wait until the 7th. Curse you IGN!
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: September 04, 2012, 07:51:38 pm »

SO, do we have a Bay12 thread on the planetside forums or what?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: September 04, 2012, 08:12:53 pm »

You can fly the entire map with 280+ speed on the reaver by pulsing the ab.  Unupgraded.  Just tested it myself and it did not dissapoint.  Well, it did, because I want the aircraft to be balanced.

Using this method, a reaver can out-run aa missiles fired from a fully upgraded mossie. 

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: September 04, 2012, 09:00:02 pm »

Bro tip: For even more speed, hold space and tilt forward.

Oh, so I started played a TR LA (normally NC HA). I'm finding I like the TR LA far more than the NC LA, but NC seems better in the HA department. I had a number of kill streaks and some epic caps, including winning a protracted game of cat and mouse against an NC MAX alone. I also had the fortune to be in a communicative squad for a while which was cool.

I might have to keep playing TR or try Vanu, because the server I made my TR character on is always full. Would be cool if there was a waitlist.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: September 04, 2012, 09:03:24 pm »

LA is fine, it just doesn't have the punch HA do and there's no real reason to play anything but medic, ha, engineer, or max right now.  Infiltrators are barely glorified snipers and a medic can't follow you over walls and whatnot when you jumpjet over them.

Surprised you won that as a LA.  NC AI max is insanely mean at close range.  I've been shot down in my mozzy by them a couple times.
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 826