Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1123015 times)

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yay let's perpetuate the cycle!
All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Frack! what reference? i heard it before and i forgot where
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Aside from their behavior in-game, this is all I have to go on for faction lore, from the Planetside 2 website's Game Overview and FAQ respectively:

Terran Republic – With a militaristic government, the Terran Republic uses its Imperial authoritarian might to impel humanity to peaceful coexistence through any means necessary (Overview). An authoritarian government that leverages military might to maintain strict control over the colonial citizens. The Terran Republic is obsessed with the preservation of law and order and are thus seen by some to be an oppressive and dictatorial force, but many view the TR as the only hope for lasting security on Auraxis (FAQ). Basically, they ARE a pretty power hungry dictatorship, but they really do keep order. We also know that these guys like to use moar dakka.

New Conglomerate – A loosely connected group of rebel factions and idealistic freedom fighters, the New Conglomerate fights against the hegemony of the Terran (Overview). Rebels, freedom fighters or terrorists? The New Conglomerate operates as a loosely organized band of dissidents, vehemently opposed to the stranglehold that the Terran Republic has on Auraxis. Led by an unusual quorum of outcasts, industry titans, pirates and former military leaders, the New Conglomerate is unwavering and prepared to achieve their goals by any means necessary (FAQ). I wonder if the NC's alleged rag-tagginess affects the game in any way? Sure, I can buy that they have major industries and a sufficient amount of military leaders working for them, but then they aren't really loosely connected freedom fighters are they? Maybe they are really just tea-partiers. This faction's weapons seems to be focused bigger explosions and high caliber, slow rate of fire guns (a disadvantage for  people with poor connection?)

Vanu Sovereignty – A technocratic faction that believes humanity can only evolve by rediscovering and tapping the lost technology of the Vanu (Overview). Vanu has taught that only through technology can humanity evolve it's next state of existence. The Vanu Sovereignty is extremely advanced, employing powerful alien technology on the battlefield. Their singular purpose is to uncover the secrets hidden away in ancient artifacts scattered over the surface of Auraxis and they will annihilate anyone who interferes (FAQ). These guys seems pretty cool, they're the only ones who know they're in a science fiction universe. I guess maybe it proves that the TR are evil if they want to stop the VN from being peaceful R&D archaelogists, but then why do the NC hate them? Also the "Vanu has taught..." bit makes me wonder if maybe they are crazy about following some cult leader. Either way, if they're just intellectuals, how did they get the industry and labor to field a military? Maybe the nature of the VN is another discussion. Anyway, they get lasers and hovertanks, and their faction color is the most distinct. However, their armor looks like something and eight year old would say is super cool, guys.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 01:14:38 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Big explosions can never be a disatvantage.

[/discussion]

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Matrix?

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile

I just searching NC on Google, and this was on the first page:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Welp, I guess I HAVE to join the NC now :P
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

You do know Google modifies it's search results based on past searches by the user, right?...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

You do know Google modifies it's search results based on past searches by the user, right?...

herpaderp

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile

So it is NC once again, even though I rather prefer the aspect of moar dakka...
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, NC just sneaks in with the majority! Woo!

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not Matrix, Battlestar Galactica actually. However this sentence (in loose translation from german) was originally written by Nietzsche. Well, Matrix use another translation :P

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Terran Republic – With a militaristic government, the Terran Republic uses its Imperial authoritarian might to impel humanity to peaceful coexistence through any means necessary (Overview). An authoritarian government that leverages military might to maintain strict control over the colonial citizens. The Terran Republic is obsessed with the preservation of law and order and are thus seen by some to be an oppressive and dictatorial force, but many view the TR as the only hope for lasting security on Auraxis (FAQ). Basically, they ARE a pretty power hungry dictatorship, but they really do keep order. We also know that these guys like to use moar dakka.
Pretty much.  There's also the fact that they see themselves as an extension of the strict-but-benevolent democratic TR government acting in a situation of emergency while the others see them as a power-mad splinter group.

New Conglomerate – A loosely connected group of rebel factions and idealistic freedom fighters, the New Conglomerate fights against the hegemony of the Terran (Overview). Rebels, freedom fighters or terrorists? The New Conglomerate operates as a loosely organized band of dissidents, vehemently opposed to the stranglehold that the Terran Republic has on Auraxis. Led by an unusual quorum of outcasts, industry titans, pirates and former military leaders, the New Conglomerate is unwavering and prepared to achieve their goals by any means necessary (FAQ). I wonder if the NC's alleged rag-tagginess affects the game in any way? Sure, I can buy that they have major industries and a sufficient amount of military leaders working for them, but then they aren't really loosely connected freedom fighters are they? Maybe they are really just tea-partiers. This faction's weapons seems to be focused bigger explosions and high caliber, slow rate of fire guns (a disadvantage for  people with poor connection?)
In PS2 the NC was formed by a group of wealthy businessmen upset with the TR for not giving them a share in ruling Earth (and leaving them out of the wormhole mission).  They sneaked a bunch of mercs on the fleet with them.  They only became a "freedom fighter" faction when the TR military started increasing restrictions on civilians.  Their equipment is supposed to be experimental designs and re-purposed mining equipment.  They probably stand on an equal footing with the TR because the TR has been at peace for 200 years of technological innovation, so the military likely lags behind, especially for large scale conflicts.

Vanu Sovereignty – A technocratic faction that believes humanity can only evolve by rediscovering and tapping the lost technology of the Vanu (Overview). Vanu has taught that only through technology can humanity evolve it's next state of existence. The Vanu Sovereignty is extremely advanced, employing powerful alien technology on the battlefield. Their singular purpose is to uncover the secrets hidden away in ancient artifacts scattered over the surface of Auraxis and they will annihilate anyone who interferes (FAQ). These guys seems pretty cool, they're the only ones who know they're in a science fiction universe. I guess maybe it proves that the TR are evil if they want to stop the VS from being peaceful R&D archaelogists, but then why do the NC hate them? Also the "Vanu has taught..." bit makes me wonder if maybe they are crazy about following some cult leader.
They're in contact with an alien entity who gives the top-level orders.

There's also the fact that their ethos could be summed up as
or the dwarf fortress versions

Either way, if they're just intellectuals, how did they get the industry and labor to field a military?
NANOMACHINES (Metal Gear?!)
Each of the factions has it's share of soldiers, workers, and scientists, even if the distribution is uneven.

However, their armor looks like something and eight year old would say is super cool, guys.
Eight year olds tend to be a good metric of what is "super cool".  There's no need for gritty realism.  VS has the most fabulous outfits and their crab MAXes are much cooler than the NC's trashcan transformers and the TR's ladybug costumes.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Well, the VS certainly are some kind of fabulous anyway.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile

There's also the fact that their ethos could be summed up as
or the dwarf fortress versions
Basically the metroid series in a minute?

Seems legit.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Come to think of it... Vanu's ideals fit with our "FOR ‼SCIENCE‼" ethic of Space Pirate-style blind application and abuse of any new-found element in our lives.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 826