Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1123467 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I understood it as one cert per 10 minutes of active playing, -on average-. I.E. that's what they're trying to balance it for if you're doing typical active playing. Medic, combat, vehicle, or otherwise. But they weren't entirely clear about that. Honestly one per 10 minutes sounds like a lot if you're doing it 24/7. But they did say it could be a lot of cert points for some unlocks.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Yeah, we don't know the cost of things.  May be that the first sniper scope costs 10,000 or something.  I figure it'll balance somehow though.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

that was an example as without beta testing they cannot really figure out a good balance for online vs offline play.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Either way, point still remains.  You'll slowly gain certs just by owning an account, but you'll quickly gain certs by popping caps and ganking bases.  Certs are unlimited, so you can eventually buy everything, and recerting is currently not possible, though I personally suspect it'll be a cash-shop option.

So mark it now.  Everyone unlocks a MAX suit as well as their specialty class.  There shall be no dwarf who cannot MAX in the Bay12 Outfit.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

So, what I'm wondering is: What kind of scouting options? More precisely: Will tele operated rockets be a thing? How viable is a sort of echolocation, i.e. lob artillery at it and see what scurries out, strategy (explosolocation)? Stuff like that. Will there be methods to scout from a couple of hills over and maybe nab a pentakill in the process?

Because that's what I want to do. I want to scout so vehemently the bouncing MAXes look like a roborgy.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There was a sort of hard to obtain artillery vehicle in the first game. No idea if it'll be in this one. I honestly never dealt with it much though. If you want to scout though, best bets are probably, long range with a scope, short range with a cloak, or from high above with a flying vehicle. If you just want to make things go boom from far away, only option I know of for sure at the moment is the bomber. The Liberator, I believe it's called. Typical strategy used to be fly to max height, make slow passes over an enemy position and just drop a metric ass ton of explosives on them, hoping they don't have air support or anyone with decent aim on AA guns. No idea if that's still viable, or what new strategies might arise.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lame bombing is always a viable option.  But that's not very fun or productive.  Something more productive would be a MAX outfit with a mortar and an infiltrator calling range and target type.  Especially if you could do things like mortar the enemy AA turrets and then bring in a low-flying bomber blitz.

Though I agree with Sir Frump.  We'll need proper intel if we're going to sport a Galaxy packed with anti-infantry MAXs, or if we're all going to load tanks and bum-rush their bums.  Hopefully a few infiltrators with specialized cloaks/bombs would be able to look at things and notice what they're most armed to fight, so we can come in something that doesn't care about their turrets.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As for artillery they are still discussing the viability of that in  PS2 from what matt said. As for weapons, its not 10k cert points to unlocks, unlocking weapon an attachment doesnt seem to be that long, unlocking ALL attachement and weapon on the other hand....

From the video i saw ONE weapon had like 6 area it can be improved uppon, and each area had like 10 rank in each. So to fully unlock one weapon, lets do some easy math and hoping each rank is 1 cert point, it would take 60 cert to fully unlock ONE weapon, and since there is TONS of weapons compared to PS1... you better quit your job and stop caring of your GF if you want to unlock everything any time soon.

Also im not quite sure if i remember right, but i heard there would be experience booster. I dont know if im ok with that, as long its not a 300% bonus XP thing but more like a small amount. I dont want to feel im grinding my certs point if i dont buy that booster.
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dont want to feel im grinding my certs point if i dont buy that booster.
But that's how they want you to feel. That's how they make money.
("They" being the typical F2P creators. Still have hope for this game.)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah but lets just hope they stick with their primary plan and sell only stuff that doesnt involve game mecanics, such as skin at limit recert token.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Each rank won't be 1 cert.  That was pre-beta filler data.  High-end gear may take hundreds, that was in the video for sure.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Yeah but lets just hope they stick with their primary plan and sell only stuff that doesnt involve game mecanics, such as skin at limit recert token.
The lead game designer was in that video and he said flat out that they will be selling boosters...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

As long as it's all side-grade and no upgrade, I'm fine with selling boosters. If a few people get more stuff for paying, so that I can play for free, I'd even thank them for buying boosters.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Boosters are generally to skip the growth and go right for the pewpew.  I personally enjoy the leveling up.  In games with some type of non-limiting level system, I regularly go through them.  Like, Mabinogi has a proficiency system where using a weapon allows you to upgrade it, and I'd regularly get weapons maxed and then sell them to pick up another default-stat weapon and start over.  NavyField has crew that can level up and make your ship stronger, and I enjoy just getting them higher, though I've not yet maxed a crew and replaced them.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, if you're just levelling up to level up and you're not actually enjoying the process. Don't play the game. That's how I deal with world of tanks. It used to be that I'd be focused on getting to the high tiers, but honestly, I've slowed down. I don't grind. I only play for as long as it is fun, and then I stop for a while, and I learned to enjoy the tanks I already have rather than just wishing I had the bigger and better ones. Even though I've got a Tier 6 and 7 opened up, I still spend a lot of time on 4 and 5 tier tanks just getting the crews leveled up. And honestly, I tend to have more fun on those than the "bigger and better" tanks.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 826