Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1122307 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm hoping for an Engineer turret. Less firepower than a Phalanx AA or AT turret, and much less durable, but isn't fixed in a single place where bombers can easily destroy it.  :)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools

It would be hilarious if it killed them faster than the giant stationary AA, too.

One time I saw a fighter floating in the air right over my base, so I hopped in one and unloaded into it. Every single round hit, and I overheated - He calmly turned around with more than half of his health remaining and blew me up in one barrage of missiles.

I'm still baffled.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ESF bombers often run the 'small arms' defense package, which at its maximum grants, I believe, +40 18% resist to flak weapons and +70 50% resist to small arms fire. EDIT: Wrong numbers, whoops.

Still, it's a bit ridiculous that an ESF can 1v1 a Phalanx AA turret, eat every flak shot, and win. A Liberator or Galaxy, maybe, but flak should be a reasonable deterrent to ESF attacks.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:13:00 pm by Thexor »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

Stationary flak turrets are a joke. Maybe literally. The AT cannons are more effective at AA.
Nothing important here, move along.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Question: Is the unlocks server specific? Or can I unlock it on one server, create a character on another and use my nift upgraded guns?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

server specific I believe, quite unfortunately
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

The stationary base turrets are pretty awful.  They are way more fragile than they should be.  In any major assault, they get destroyed in only a few seconds and it's impractical to try and repair them.  IMO, they should be one of the biggest obstacles to an attack.  It's also near impossible to hit anything with the flak cannons over any decent range.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The turrets can be very effective if:

a) they're repaired without the enemy noticing. A Phalanx turret can rip apart multiple heavy tanks if it can get a couple of shots off before anyone realizes the turret is active.

b) there's pressure on the enemy from other directions. Helps immensely with requirement a) above. Also means that if the tanks engage the turret, they aren't engaging your own tanks/heavies, giving the latter a perfect opportunity to attack.

c) they aren't flak turrets. Those things are useless. You'll do more damage with a G2A missile launcher than a flak turret.

I've watched entire battles at an Amp Station gate turn around because someone repaired a Phalanx turret and started shelling the opponent's tanks from behind. Just don't count on a turret repelling a massed attack without some form of support, and don't count on a flak turret repelling anything controlled by a competent pilot.  ;)

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile

On Briggs and with the NC Warpgated, five of us randoms held off a strong VS airforce simply by populating all the Phalanx turrets and keeping up a sustained barrage - this was both AA and AV.  The AA becomes very effective if all three in one tower are focused on one plane, but once the push fades and people bugger off, you don't want to be the last one still sitting in a turret.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Had a nice little defense of the Peris Amp Station against the VS as well. Had a couple of AA Turrets running and a few AA Burster Maxes standing behind the 'shield wall' on the towers around it.
I would call for "Gun Silent" as the scythes hover in and out of range. Not a sound wold come from the AMP Stations defenses. I would then notice on sitting still, I would say...

"Scythe, North East, (Playername) FIRE" AND the Scythe wouldnt exist any more after the Max and Turrets unloaded their fire onto it. This continued for at least and hour, only the best pilots escaped this onslaught as they flew over our camp, not even the Libs could get to a good firing position before they were suddenly at 15% life and had to bail else blow...

Then I noticed that the Pubs were losing everything....

T_T This is why I can never capture a Map. I lead a platoon that can PIN DOWN any of the warpgates, but only one at a time. This means that if I focus on VS, TR comes out, I focus TR, VS comes out. Its like the Pubs do nothing to stop these movements...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I am thouroughly enjoying myself on the Lithcorp EU server. Seen some decent squadplay there again today.
It's a shame the game is split into EU an non-EU servers though, it gets darn quiet in the small hours.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

T_T
I hate when a Pub accidently gets Platoon lead on your Outfits Platoons, they never give it back. There is so many damn MVEE platoons out there cause of this...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Even during prime hours, it seems like most of the faction boundaries are left alone.  Every faction just has one or two massive zerg forces running around butting heads with the other faction's zerg forces.  There's not much real effort towards map control strategy from what I've seen.  I can go alone as an infiltrator and capture 4-5 undefended territories in the same amount of time it takes one zerg clash to grind itself to resolution.

And I blame the game design balance.  You get more exp running into a meat grinder over and over and grabbing a couple kills before dying every 30 seconds than you do capturing a point every few minutes and winning the occasional stealthy duel.  I would much rather see territory be made more valuable and server populations spread out across faction boundaries, actually trying to defend their territory while testing the opposing side's weaknesses.

Lastnight I hopped on after work, and I just wanted to build up 25 certs as fast as possible.  That was all I needed to buy the 250 cert flash mounted gun (tired of having no anti-vehicle capability besides switching to heavy infantry, and don't want to wait a month for 1000 certs).  I thought I could do it in an hour.

Then I got stuck defending this remote point in a very drawn out skirmish.  There were only 3 other guys holed up in the base with me, against a handful of very persistent attackers.  They had a liberator, lightning, and a sunderer parked outside, and the base we were defending didn't have any vehicle spawns.  We could keep them at bay, but we couldn't land a finishing blow on any of their vehicles before they'd drive away to repair.  It was a solid defense.  We could have held it all night, until the enemy brought some heavier numbers.  I was working my ass off and putting up a really good fight, holding this territory for my faction... and it totally didn't matter.  After about 20 minutes, I got frustrated with the reality that even though I was doing something significant in terms of map control, I would never get my 25 certs that way.  I left the base in favor of joining the zerg to charge the meat grinder over and over for 45 minutes, capturing only two territories in that time but racking up lots of kills, while that territory I was helping to defend was captured by the enemy a couple minutes later.

And... it's just dumb, honestly.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:24:05 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

Yep. Sometimes I feel like a sheep dog, making sure the zerg is safe at the flanks. I'd see 10 of em sitting at a control point which can't be captured due to weird territory borders, and we weren't bordering that hex. So I go alone to an outpost just south, kill two TR, capture it so they can move on again. I've played games with better companion AI...  ::)

Don't get the flash grenade launcher though. It sucks.

I am thouroughly enjoying myself on the Lithcorp EU server.
What faction? I'm presently enjoying myself as VS, killing TR on Indar.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You get 2 xp per person that spawns on your sunderer...

It's nothing. Had 300-500 spawns on one of mine during a big assault (NC was thanking us
for all the certs as everyone bum rushes to die inside the building - 10 max suits with double shotguns just chilling) - which is a insane number, but comes out to basically no xp and a constant "+2xp" text on my screen.

Vehicle Balance is childishly poor, weapon balance is bad, but by far not as bad. Generally helis need to stop being flying super tanks.

Imagine if [any] class could take a rocketlaucher instead of there main anti-inf weapon (leaving you with laucher + pistol).
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 826