Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1122389 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Soon to be released MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #3930 on: November 17, 2012, 03:22:40 pm »

Vanquishers.

And you know, Discipline of the outfit would benefit from having regulars, people who play together end up doing better.
I'm not sure of your aim really, the feeling im getting is like commanding the pub regiment in M&B: Napoleonic Wars.

EDIT: At the very least, if you are going to be handling Pubs only, you should have some dedicated support people: A mosquito/Reaver squadron or something
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 03:25:11 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Soon to be released MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #3931 on: November 17, 2012, 03:40:10 pm »

I still strongly suggest we have one unified B12 group, on a given faction and server. Even if I'm not around enough to lead it, someone should.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: November 17, 2012, 03:43:19 pm »

Vanquishers.

And you know, Discipline of the outfit would benefit from having regulars, people who play together end up doing better.
I'm not sure of your aim really, the feeling im getting is like commanding the pub regiment in M&B: Napoleonic Wars.

EDIT: At the very least, if you are going to be handling Pubs only, you should have some dedicated support people: A mosquito/Reaver squadron or something
Yeah I guess it would be like the M&B NW stuff. Trying to get the people that have no aim other then to shoot stuff to work together as a group to shoot at stuff that matters...

As for dedicated Support folk. Generally I want to work out who can and is good in both Armour and Air. BUT its never going to be a case where they will be remaining in those vechiles for their whole time or would they be disappearing into their own unique platoon. Dividing up any form of force in an Infantry Based game (Yes Planetside2 Is Infantry Based folks get to learn that) is generally a bad idea. Basicly Air and Armour is more of a Situational Need, if we are trying to bust through a blockade of Tanks, Air would be needed over Armour, if we are trying to attack a fortified base, Amour would be needed to punch the hole, but in the end it would be those on foot that move in and take everything, Armour and Air only are needed for about 20% of the tasks that are done in Planetside2...

My main plan though IS to have a good idea on who is to be called on when Air is needed or such, Basicly though you can't fully control any of the Pug members that want to fly but if we can work out the main Pilots and get them working together, set each of them up with a Wingman (and sub wingman if their main is missing) and when Air is called for they Redeploy straight to an air base with their wingman and work together there... Solo flyers are generally targeted first and foremost, but more on that laters...

Basicly though, the first thing I would love to do is get the TEAM WORK WINS idea into everyones heads...

My basic bootcamp would be this...

Until Platoon fills its free for all, you can do what you want and where you want.
Moment Platoon fills, recall to Warpgate then move to the closest base to avoid GreiverReavers and other annoying folk.
Get the squads to divide into their Squad groups physically and then have them work out what number they are.
Inform each member that the person that is the next number down from them (1-2, 3-4, 5-6, etc) is now their long lost twin.
The goal is that you work together as a Squad but you have your partner, two people shooting at the same target takes down that target 2x faster, 2 sets of eyes is also way better then 1.
The next task is to move by foot to the next base, but EVENS have to LOSE their Partner and arrive at the base before them (by at least 4 secs slowcount). ODDS have to stick to their partner like glue naturally.
Anyone that announces that they are AIR though are asked to get their reavers, and the same applys, But this time its in the air with EVENS trying to lose their partner.
No killing their partner is allowed of course. :P
After they all reach the next base, they then swap with ODDS trying to lose their partner and so forth.
Ideally you never lose your partner...

After all this, we return to battle and kicking arse...

Being able to get Alpha to move together towards an objective while Bravo, Charlie and Delta take care of something else is a HUGE plus when people realise that they are part of a squad that works together...

If all goes well mind you, it would take around 15mins to compleate this little training...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: November 17, 2012, 03:48:46 pm »

Man, the only game remotely like this where anything like that ever actually managed to occur was Face of Mankind, and that has its own problems. I think the closest we have in Planetside is Navy Seal Training.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: November 17, 2012, 04:03:28 pm »

No, ARMA 2 clans have achieved similar/better levels of discipline and amazingness. Specifically ShackTac, 7th Cav, and 15th/24th MEU are also like this. This is achievable, not necessarily with pubs, but its possible.

Anyways, I think you will need dedicated air support, it's infantry based, but the benfits of having air-on-demand are enormous, not to mention transportation/spawning if we're taking galaxies. The only situations where air is severely limited are ones involving the ever-stubborn biodomes. Armoured support is something else entirely, it's slow to get to the area, difficult to organize, and generally gets fucked. Armour/Air are NEEDED for nothing, but they're a massive force-multiplier, and you will almost always encounter enemy resistance of the same type.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: November 17, 2012, 04:27:04 pm »

I would suggest not trying to compare or say that Planetside 2 is anything like ARMA2, even with the way ARMA can be played it is a completly different style when it comes down to how the Objectives are presented and the way the map and gameplay can expand at all times...

When it comes down to it, have a group of people that can be called on mid battle is important but Dedicated is the wrong word due to the ebb and flow of both the game life and the players lives, in ARMA you would know that they would be on at a set time and that you can easily have those craft in the air at any time during game time, but in Planetside2, the game is different, this isn't a SET AND SHAPED outfit that would be created, players are not needed to be commited like it came to those Squadrons you mentioned for ARMA2, I know for a fact that those groups had such strict rules and game times that if you failed to meet them you would be removed from the group due to failure to comply or something like that...

ARMA 2 also had a different player base of Dedicated and Commited players, having the price of the game and such acting as a Bouncer to the game, meaning that those that paid knew that they were entering a more ''Elite'' game in terms of FPS...

Planetside2 is not like that, it can not really have anything such as a Dedicated Squadron of Planes in the air at all times (or nearly all the time), when it comes down to the gameplay of Planetside2, a Dedicated Squadron of anything is for those that are either ''Elite'' Outfits with set rules and such or for a group of friends that just want to play that way...

As I said before, the limit to have an on-demand is that of responsive play where people would need to mobilise themselves into that need. Granted it would be fantastic to say, AIR NEEDED NOW and within a second the air support is there, but it would never work...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: November 17, 2012, 06:21:06 pm »

My intention was not to really compare the strictness of the clans, and ARMA + Planetside are indeed comparable in terms of expansiveness, the format is different, ARMA being mainly mission based, and Planetside being more freeform, but the concept remains the same, having 2-3 people who play just air is pretty realistic.

A good amount of people play only air, and even more people play infantry and within 45 seconds can redeploy, get a vehicle, and get to a location.

I don't know whether you've played ARMA2 multiplayer, but they have Conquest (I think) in most of the servers, its actually kinda like planetside, easier ofc, but similar concept.

Look, I'm not trying to be rude, or a dick, I was just tryin' to say that unsupported infantry are going to flounder, and once the assault begins, it's going to be hard to get uncoordinated pubs to really clear out an airspace.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: November 17, 2012, 06:26:59 pm »

Well, from what I understand, the most difficult part about air support is getting the finance to keep it afloat.
I know from my experience in ArmA 2 that I'm more than happy to sit on a team channel listening to the action for 20 minutes / 2 hours while waiting on a landing pad just to be called in to offer a bit of air support... And I know from other more mainstream FPS titles, I'd rather do that than be in the heat of the action.

I realise that's an unrealistic view to expect from a PUG player, but if we can get a few more people from Bay12 with this mentality then constant on call air support shouldn't be a difficult thing.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: November 17, 2012, 06:34:43 pm »

I'd be cool with it myself, honestly.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: November 17, 2012, 06:41:50 pm »

I think the main thing is that you missunderstood what I originally meant. I was never going to have unsupportive infantry just that until air would be needed the pilots are working with the inf on foot too..

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: November 17, 2012, 06:49:05 pm »

I wasn't sure if that was the case or not. Honestly I could see that going either way, as having more people on foot is certainly helpful, if you don't have a system in place for this, it could put a lot of extra response time onto the journey.
I've seen situations in ArmA 2 where you have the pilots on the ground right up until they're needed, but that tends to be in missions like Insurgency where they can just teleport into an aircraft nearby. I just don't know Planetside enough to suggest what the best method would be.
At the end of the day, you just gotta roll with what's more beneficial to your cause.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: November 17, 2012, 06:56:13 pm »

The outfit I play with runs public ops sometimes and I've had great fun for the most part. On the topic of air we usually rely on regulars to go AA-MAX when needed so that might be worth thinking about.

Ended up leading a squad of mostly pubs on Friday with mixed results. Finding their way back to the sunderer and redeploying being the hardest things to communicate. Then again I suspect language can be more of an issue on EU servers.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: November 17, 2012, 07:51:06 pm »

Well, Nevs, in the end it's your idea and your oufit. So ya.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: November 17, 2012, 08:45:06 pm »

I'd happily join a B12 group, but would probably want it to be organized. Any idea on what race we'll be? I've been running Vanu.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: November 17, 2012, 09:49:04 pm »

So I'm interested in trying this out when it launches, but I was wondering if this game requires good specs to play. My computer is around 2 years old and I wouldn't mind playing minimum specs, although a bearable FPS would be nice.

Nevermind, found spec requirements.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 10:05:42 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 826