Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1121112 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11925 on: January 17, 2016, 09:21:18 pm »

I just played this again (for the first time in years). I played LA and helped almost capture a base and then I played gunner for a vehicle (VS, three seats, like the small four-wheeled ones but bigger?). As it turned out, I did not remember several important key bindings and had to look them up in the game settings. For example, the key to cloak or use other abilities (except for LA flying; I remember that).

Also, it appears that even after a year or two, The Crown and surrounding regions are still the same as ever.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 09:34:25 pm by TheDarkStar »
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11926 on: January 17, 2016, 10:20:56 pm »

Every defeat sees me grow stronger, like some kind of golden haired man ape.

The fog on Hoth has been messing up my ability to snipe a little. There's the two bases to the north of the southwest gate by about 1500 km that the NC and TR were fighting over. I set myself up on the supports underneath the bridge to the south of them. I have been getting able to hit targets up to two mildots away, but I can't even see half that far with all this fog.

Anyway, get 15 kills, tons of assists, and a billion spotter assists, run out of ammo, go to resupply, and get run over by a friggin friendly quad. 10/10

So far sniping has been my most effective strategy. I play LS like I play the Assault class in Day of Defeat, which means I pretty much attempt to drown my enemies in a sea of my corpses. I've started to play less like DoD:S and more like Arma though, and it does seem to help a good bit.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11927 on: January 17, 2016, 10:23:13 pm »

How do you spot? I remember it being there but can't the key for it. I can't find the melee key, either.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11928 on: January 17, 2016, 10:24:04 pm »

Q for spotting, press scroll wheel for melee. Hold it to draw the knife.

I tend to just hit keys when I play a new game to figure stuff out and it's worked for PS2 pretty well.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11929 on: January 18, 2016, 05:48:07 am »

Is there any way to change keybinds? I tried flying a Mosquito, but I had difficulty with the controls. The mouse x-axis controls roll while A/D control yaw, and I wanted to switch those.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11930 on: January 18, 2016, 06:16:40 am »

So that's why I flew straight into the ground...

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #11931 on: January 18, 2016, 07:28:01 am »

I tried to play this game against last year shortly before going to uni, but I realized that my skill level is all gone now, and I really don't play like a BR60 anymore :p

So I left.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11932 on: January 18, 2016, 09:48:49 am »

Pft, I doubt I play like my BR. Play occasionally anyway. Also yes, theres a keybinds menu.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11933 on: January 18, 2016, 11:18:00 am »

Like in every FPS ever, map knowledge is everything in Planetside. So yeah, getting dropped constantly is pretty normal until you learn where to advance and on which side you want your cover to be.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11934 on: January 18, 2016, 11:25:06 am »

It's pretty weird. Sometimes I get dropped constantly, and sometimes I feel like I'm actually getting good kills.

Also, large facilities will basically always be meatgrinders. Somehow, that is sort of the appeal of PS2 to me and it makes me sad that massive open-area offenses are rarer now. It feels pretty awesome when you're walking down a slightly sunken road, with tons of friendly tanks to one side, firing at a big ole wall. And then everybody gets out of the trench and storms the wall.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #11935 on: January 18, 2016, 12:21:10 pm »

I do wish there were more open area meatgrinders. those were always the most fun I had.

In the last month before I quit, most of the fights I got into were closed area meatgrinders like the Biolabs. Not that fun, and closed area meatgrinders are available in every other FPS...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11936 on: January 18, 2016, 01:01:04 pm »

Some of the best fun was the open area battles I had. Why aren't those that common anymore?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11937 on: January 18, 2016, 01:51:08 pm »

open are battles are cool and stuff
Hopefully with the base construction coming eventually we'll se emore of these. Some people have even proposed that they remove all bases and only keep the large ones (amp, tech, bio) and have all other bases be player-constructed. I... really doubt that will happen but it's a neat thought. What's more likely to happen (hopefully) with the resource revamp are people fighting over resource nodes located out in 'the wild' as opposed to a dev-designed base.

Did I ever mentioned my very first battle in Planetside 2 back in 2012 was an open-field battle consisting over about 1/3rd of the population of the continent all in one spot? Never since have I seen Planetside be such a fantastic spectacle, it kinda reminded me of a war movie. Now that all the mechanics are well-known and there are so many veterans and so few players overall you're less likely to see that sort of stuff.

I've gone in-game occasionally over the past few weeks and it's still as fun as it used to be, you just never get the spectacle like you used to. That is, unless you get people "foot-zerging" between bases.

Is there any way to change keybinds?
Yes, it's in the same spot you'll see in every (halfway decently made) PC game.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 01:54:14 pm by OzyTheSage »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11938 on: January 18, 2016, 02:17:31 pm »

I think my first battle was one of the indar tower bases located in the southeast.Feldspar Canyon, I think? This was before lots of minor bases were capped, too.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11939 on: January 18, 2016, 02:44:43 pm »

I just spent a few hours playing this. I died a bunch of times, especially at first when I wasn't used to the low TTK and high accuracy of some weapons. I did a lot better later, though.

Also, are people incapable of fighting vehicles in any way except for zerging at them? It's obviously possible for one person to get rid of them (especially since I C4'd two or three Sunderers and a bunch of other vehicles) but I got kill after kill (as in 10+ per life) as a Sunderer gunner when infantry kept zerging into me and when Harassers tried to solo the Sunderer.

Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 826