Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 759 760 [761] 762 763 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1121541 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11400 on: October 12, 2014, 09:47:58 am »

this pumpkin alert thing makes me want to punch pillows shaped like ESF drivers, they absolutely ruin the experience on everything except hossin. there is no way to beat the amount of ground (and pumpkins) they cover, and unless you're running an AA harasser, they will destroy everyone on the ground who's looking for pumpkins without any repercussion. Its less like a pumpkin hunt and more like a timed game of how many pumpkins you can find in the few minutes it takes that BR25 scythe to nosegun your poor harasser down (and then find 20 himself)

with that said air pilots ruin everything that isnt a 48+ fight so i guess its not too surprising

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11401 on: October 12, 2014, 11:07:01 am »

this pumpkin alert thing makes me want to punch pillows shaped like ESF drivers, they absolutely ruin the experience on everything except hossin. there is no way to beat the amount of ground (and pumpkins) they cover, and unless you're running an AA harasser, they will destroy everyone on the ground who's looking for pumpkins without any repercussion. Its less like a pumpkin hunt and more like a timed game of how many pumpkins you can find in the few minutes it takes that BR25 scythe to nosegun your poor harasser down (and then find 20 himself)

with that said air pilots ruin everything that isnt a 48+ fight so i guess its not too surprising
They don't, but only if you can convince a second random person to pick up a AA launcher and fire with you, instead of acting like a ninja with an infiltrator. IIRC, it only takes 2 shots to down an ESF, the problem is merely one of convincing people to stop using their light assaults and infils for a few moments to shoot down a skygod.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #11402 on: October 12, 2014, 11:46:49 am »

I highly, highly recommend using a flash with cloaking if you're going to be pumpkin hunting. The basilisk is powerful enough to scare them off, if not outright destroy them if you catch them repairing on the ground.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11403 on: October 12, 2014, 11:57:07 am »

Granted, the Fury kills grounded ESFs faster.  :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11404 on: October 12, 2014, 12:16:16 pm »

Grab a burster MAX and enemy air will soon be avoiding the area. Then you just switch to AI or AV.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11405 on: October 12, 2014, 01:51:38 pm »

I ended up running a skyguard for the last 30 minutes of the alert. Didn't touch anyone who didn't fire first, but many a mossy picked a fight and died soon after realizing that might not be an AV lightning. Didnt end up dying, because the only thing around were other Harassers (who'd rather farm pumpkins than gamble on a lightning) and Flashes.

I think I'll run flash next time, yeah. I cant stand how weird the Harasser handles anyway, the thing loses traction every time it loses forward momentum. Low speed turns are more like low speed drifts, lol.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 01:54:00 pm by Rex_Nex »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11406 on: October 12, 2014, 04:53:03 pm »

Last night I was playing on Indar, and there were SO MANY cloaked flashes just running through the sunderer spawn point it was almost impossible to spawn at some of them. Enemy flashes, mind, not allied. People are really liking the new flash I guess.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11407 on: October 12, 2014, 05:41:01 pm »

Yeah, they're kinda annoying. Which makes me a hipster I guess :-[

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11408 on: October 12, 2014, 08:52:20 pm »

They don't, but only if you can convince a second random person to pick up a AA launcher and fire with you, instead of acting like a ninja with an infiltrator. IIRC, it only takes 2 shots to down an ESF, the problem is merely one of convincing people to stop using their light assaults and infils for a few moments to shoot down a skygod.
And then they have flares. Sure, they'll be gone for a bit, but with stealth + flares they can stick around long enough to do some damage then run away. Then god forbid there be more than one thing in the air or you're screwed.

Speaking of lockons, has anyone else been having trouble with the ground lockons? One would imagine they would fire up slightly then to the target (or be top-attack/direct attack selectable like the FGM-148 Javelin. There's already a button to switch between burst and auto on rifles so lockons should have a direct/top-down switch.) so that they wouldn't constantly be suiciding into the ground or a slight incline. Now the thing that confuses me is that there have been a few occasions where the missile will actually fire upwards slightly then to the target, avoiding hills, but I don't know how to make it do that every time I fire. Air lockons are still annoying, if the ESF is flying perpendicular close by then the missile will shoot 45 degrees to the left/right instead of out and then tracking it. While this is useful sometimes in that it makes it more likely to hit the target, it also make it more likely to hit, say, a friendly who is standing nearby. Yeah, I've actually teamkilled people by doing that...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11409 on: October 13, 2014, 02:46:17 am »

And then they have flares. Sure, they'll be gone for a bit, but with stealth + flares they can stick around long enough to do some damage then run away. Then god forbid there be more than one thing in the air or you're screwed.
This is why I am heavily considering the Lancer as my next major cert purchase. Hit scan means no flare worries, and at least I'd be able to chase em away.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11410 on: October 13, 2014, 02:56:09 am »

It's not actually hitscan, you still have to lead the target, but if you're good at that it's pretty easy.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11411 on: October 13, 2014, 05:21:08 am »

Lock ons are just for scaring them away, bursters kill. Just last night I had a streak of like 3 libbies and a dozen mozzies with them. Somebody parked a sundie on the mountain above the Bastion, and me and like 3-4 other guys massacred air from it until the sundie despawned and I ran out of ammo.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11412 on: October 13, 2014, 07:08:08 am »

Its silly how much better a Burster MAX's firepower is than the Skyguard's. The much, much better CoF and better velocity without the wonky aiming that all vehicles have is just so much better. Plus you barely need to leave spawn on most bases and can just swap back to AV or AI afterwords.

I used to think MAXs were shit, but then I just stopped using AI MAX (because lets be honest a single AI MAX without as much as an engineer friend is pretty much a waste of nanites) and have been swapping between defensive AV and multipurpose AA MAX and having a lot of success. It felt nice to clear out four Scythes that were camping one of the spawns, then swap to falcons and work together with a heavy to clear out another three maggies. And then lose the base anyway. But hey.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11413 on: October 13, 2014, 07:10:07 am »

TBF, Skyguard is cheaper, and has a lot better mobility so you can quickly change ambush positions and catch the enemy air unaware.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11414 on: October 13, 2014, 07:32:20 am »

True that, but I don't think it's cheap enough that it's really fair that the weapon is so much worse, especially considering the skyguard is stuck with an AA weapon the moment you pull it. The skyguard isnt bad, and yeah the mobility allows it to do stuff that a burstermax can't, but usually when you pull AA you do it to defend a certain hex or to protect an offensive zerg and thus mobility isn't exactly important. Sitting a burster above spawn or on a hill above the sundy will likely be enough to scare anyway any air that attempts anything. Plus skyguards tend to die a lot quicker, which means that 350 resource investment is usually more of a gamble than the 450 of an AA MAX.

I like the skyguard, but its firepower is just a bit on the weak side for how vulnerable it is. I don't like that, say, a single pilot lib (one of the vehicles the lightning is crippling itself to fight) can clip it out in just a few seconds. Dedicated A2G is ridiculous amounts more powerful than dedicated G2A, so being able to hide from that in a MAX (and not be entirely dedicated to AA) is really valuable.

But, yeah, you're right. Those still are advantages of the skyguard.
Pages: 1 ... 759 760 [761] 762 763 ... 826