Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cloudberry Kingdom: Proper randomly generated platforming  (Read 3979 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cloudberry Kingdom: Proper randomly generated platforming
« on: May 23, 2012, 01:30:15 pm »

Watch this video.

Done? If so, you can probably see where this is going. You see, one of my dream video games is a good, fun, randomly generated platformer. It doesn't matter to me if it's classic platforming, gimmicky platforming or metroidvania platforming, I want to have it, play it and absorb it. And Cloudberry Kingdom is the answer to my deepest desires. Let me tell you a little bit about this game.

Well-made randomly generated levels.

They (the devs) spent ~3 years teaching an AI how to design and play fun platforming levels. Then they built a game off this AI. I've been playing the beta all day, and it is awesome. The levels make perfect sense but also have a natural feel to them. Each one is fun to play, unless it's too easy or too hard for you. Which brings me to...

Scalable difficulty.

The AI can design levels that are appropriate to any difficulty on the difficulty slider from Training to Masochistic. The hardest levels I can beat are Abusive difficulty, but Super Meat Boy veterans could probably take the Free Play slider up a notch and beat laser deathtrap Hardcore levels.

Multiple hero types.

The devs are adding and tweaking new gameplay styles ("heroes") to play with even as we speak. The current heroes include the ordinary platformer character who can jump once, a double-jumper, a character in a box, a character with a rocket pack, a character in a wheel, a character that changes size throughout the level, a spaceship, and so on. The AI designs levels around these characters so that you're not just playing the same game but with different physics/mechanics.

You can further tweak the precise physics of each character in the Hero Factory (although at this point in the level, only Escalation mode can be played by Hero Factory characters - they haven't figured out how to get a character who can barely jump to the top of an Up Level yet).

Multiple game modes.

Escalation is the basic game type where each level is incrementally more difficult. Last time I played, I made it to Level 47. Then there's Hero Rush, a mode that switches hero types every level, a time-limited mode, and so on with more coming in future updates).

Tweak the AI to your specifications!

In Free Play mode, you can tell the AI to design a level with exactly the things you want in it. Want a level with incredibly hard jumps and a million winged shells to bounce off on while dodging the lava below? You got it!

Multiplayer and character customization.

You can tweak the appearance of your character no matter what hero type in single player mode, but this is one of the aspects that shines in multiplayer. You can play locally with up to four people, and I presume they'll be adding online multiplayer in the future.

Want to know more and pre-order? Visit the kickstarter page!

Seriously, this game is great. You can pre-order play the beta RIGHT NOW for 15 US dollars (or get the promise of exclusive extra content in later months by paying 30 bucks for the special edition). The beta as it stands is completely playable, even though it's missing a campaign and a bunch of features and extra content.

They'll be adding more stuff during the beta with semi-regular updates (they've already got VVVVVV-style platforming in the pipeline for the next update), and the final version will be released sometime around September. If any of this sounds appealing then throw your money at them! You won't regret it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:03:20 pm by freeformschooler »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Cloudberry Kingdom: Proper randomly generated platforming
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 01:44:19 pm »

That video looks more fake than a spambot written by a lazy programmer.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 01:59:19 pm »

Why, precisely? If the video doesn't suit you, there are other videos. Perhaps you'd prefer a gameplay video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4rhNPuDO0Q

Also, look at someone's post count before assuming spambot if that's what you're implying.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:04:45 pm by freeformschooler »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 01:59:27 pm »

Oh hey, this reminds me of a competition I saw a while back to teach a bot how to play a Mario game in a randomly generated landscape.  I wouldn't be all that surprised if this was related to some of the same people...

...Huh.  Interesting.  So their kickstarter says "Okay, we made this game.  Now we have no money for an artist.  We want an artist."  Personally I'll probably end up buying the game anyway...and I really hate the current art.  It looks like Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac, neither of which I liked the art of, and for all I know it may be the same artist for all three.  People like me to the rescue!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:07:34 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 02:13:02 pm »

...Huh.  Interesting.  So their kickstarter says "Okay, we made this game.  Now we have no money for an artist.  We want an artist."  Personally I'll probably end up buying the game anyway...and I really hate the current art.  It looks like Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac, neither of which I liked the art of, and for all I know it may be the same artist for all three.  People like me to the rescue!

I'm indifferent to the art (loved the style in SMB, though). The current in-game characters can be rough and sometimes eyesores depending on how you customize them, especially compared to the nicer art in the kickstarter page.

My main complaint with the game right now, way more than the art, is the levels need to be less "hold right and jump at the right time". Sure, you need to press left to not die unless you're Chuck Norris in some of the levels, but I'd like a little more backtracking and maneuvering around interesting terrain. Apparently this is already possible but just not implemented yet.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 05:01:58 pm »

Oh God.  That hardcore difficulty.  It's like standing in a rainstorm without getting wet.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 06:57:22 pm »

The devs are actually offering $1000 to the first person who beats it on the highest difficulty.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 06:59:01 pm »

The devs are actually offering $1000 to the first person who beats it on the highest difficulty.

I'd need 1000 dollars just to keep up with the games people keep telling me I should buy on this forum.

Ohh well the next game I am getting is already chosen and I don't have a job to do side trips.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 07:24:42 pm »

Just TRY beating a level on the second highest difficulty. I have a feeling outside of a well-honed cheater, they'll be keeping their money for a long time.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 07:31:45 pm »

It would be nice if it could detect what you're worst at and best at, and adjust to those.  Like if you suck at sticking your jumps on narrow platforms.  That would be really hard to detect root cause though...  I hope they keep updating and improving the game.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 03:19:29 am »

Er, I didn't mean that you're a spambot. I meant that the hardcore difficulty on the video couldn't be played by a human. Not Touhou or Dodonpachi 'couldn't', but literally couldn't, because the mess is far too random and the movements are far too precise to be made by humans.

That $1000 gimmick is definitely just an incentive for people to buy this game, the devs never planning to actually give it away.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 04:04:05 am »

Uh, yeah. Most parts of it just look like a stupid trial and error platformer, particularly with those flames that just jump out in a random direction. I think I'll stick to Spelunky for randomly generated platforming.

jokerkv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 05:29:43 am »

cloudberry kingdom doesnt work on me. i entered the key via steam but it wont work

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 09:55:34 am »

Surprisingly, all levels are way too easy to beat (except for the Hardcore ones with too many lasers). The trick is that the AI plans a specific path through the level, and if you can go through it according to a certain "rhythm", you'll win. Try an Abusive level with a lot of bouncing blocks and you'll see what I mean. There's way too little trial and error involved.

I've played it extensively now and that's something I'd like to see fixed, adding a little more natural feel to the game.

@Dariush: The video was recorded of the AI playing through the hardcore levels. You can watch it do that in-game to show you how to beat them, not that it's necessarily possible with human dexterity.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:59:46 am by freeformschooler »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 12:40:20 pm »

Well, the ideal IMO is to avoid trial and error; you ought to be able to beat levels by the skin of your teeth, but be able to figure them out at first glance.
Pages: [1] 2