Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Engineering Waterfalls  (Read 6097 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: Engineering Waterfalls
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 08:05:57 pm »

My current fortress and the one before it have waterfalls going down through the 3-tile hallways that access the bedrooms.  That way everyone had to walk through them.  They are fed by a one tile opening at the top and drain through five tiles on each floor, arranged like this.

Code: [Select]
#f#
f#f
#f#

At the bottom of the waterfall in my current fortress, there is a 7x7 cistern that drains through a 5-tile corridor leading off the map though fortifications.  In my previous fortress I had the !!bright!! idea of drainng the waterfall into the caverns.  Nooooooooo.....  don't do that.  The lag, oh the lag ...

My biomes do not freeze, so I can take a feed straight from the brook.  In my current fortress I am actually using the well cistern as the source, because it is filtered though floor grates to remove carp and aquatic building destroyers.  Because the well cistern is one level too low, I have a single pump run by Dwarf-power to lift the water to the level of the top of the waterfall.  I have all of my haulers set also as pump operators so the waterfall never stops for very long, if at all.  When the system is filling, there is some minor flooding for some reason on the level just above the cistern.  After the cistern is full, the flooding stops.  I don't know why this happens.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 08:14:19 pm »

Aren't you concerned about gunk rinsed off the dwarves getting into your water supply?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 08:29:49 pm »

Aren't you concerned about gunk rinsed off the dwarves getting into your water supply?
No, because the water from the waterfall drains off the map.  It is an open system fed by the brook via the well cistern, rather than a closed loop recycled from the waterfall cistern.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 09:36:50 pm »

If your fort is above ground, and it freezes in the winter

Oh dear, I just realised how bad my idea would be in a biome that freezes...
You shittin' me? A freezing water fall is majestic as fuck.

I'm regretting not settling in a temperate biome, now.
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 12:55:22 am »

If your fort is above ground, and it freezes in the winter

Oh dear, I just realised how bad my idea would be in a biome that freezes...
You shittin' me? A freezing water fall is majestic as fuck.

I'm regretting not settling in a temperate biome, now.
The sad thing is I just remembered having done that once, and why I stopped doing it. It was a single stairway to access the entire fortress, and made my waterfall down the stairs. Was going wonderful until I found out underground water will freeze if it's fed by surface water, was a column of ice going down all the way. Unfortunately it was a busy fortress so there was a fair few dwarves on the staircase. The first sign was all the job cancellations. After I realised what I did, I sat there laughing at myself for a while then made a new fort.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 03:04:29 am »

I regularly use waterfalls on the main stairwell, it's a nice way of keeping everyone happy ( and doesn't hit the FPS too much if you don't need to pump and just let it drain off the map.My current 3 tile one that falls for 12 zlevels only dropped my fps from 100 to 99. Oh and like slink said, it's a great way to have wells for your hospital.

Just make sure you can turn it off, and apply zealous use of floors to prevent mushrooms growing in your channels and grates to prevent wildlife and siegers growing in your, well, main stairway.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 08:58:44 am »

The talk of the whole freezing thing makes me realize something. One of my earliest forts had a waterfall in front of the dining hall that was outside and every once in a while the grates would start disappearing and dwarves would fall in and drown. I guess it was being broken by icing as it was temperate... Which really doesn't make too much sense when you think about it. Sewer grates get frozen all the time where I live but never mind that I guess.
Pages: 1 [2]