Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Sanctuary: Preserving Dwarven Knowledge  (Read 24148 times)

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
Re: Sanctuary: Preserving Dwarven Knowledge
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2012, 09:34:55 am »

Its a mega project with flavor text and  - plus its neither a community game nor a story just yet.

ALso Martin -

What about Vampires and Were Creatures?

Also, if Necromancers come and start raising critters from the butchers shop, wouldn't that mean all butchers die? As do hunters/anyone who creates refuse?

As far as I know, the bunkers are designed in such a way that it is impossible for non-flyers to get from one to another without riding a minecart, so that would protect the dwarves from necromancers, vampires and were-nonflyers :)

Sorry Martin for answering this question for you, but I hope it keeps you working on this whole thingie if you don't have to answer questions :)

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2012, 10:16:29 am »

Considering he did morul and several other forts :)... I doubt this will stop him. He's also currently posting in a bunch of minecraft related threads. Heck that's where I realized he was active again. I was pretty ecstatic  - and then I saw the project.

Methinks he's currently figuring out minecraft nitty gritty.

Vampires and were creatures though - those aren't sorted.

Would suck if your vamp was a farmer.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2012, 06:35:08 pm »

This is a truly ambitious project.  I've been avoiding figuring out the new minecart situation, but I've been dreaming of setting up some sort of automatic minecart based sorting system.  I can't wait to see how well this works out for you.
At last, she is done.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2012, 07:13:37 pm »

Are the military bunkers going to be of much use?
I mean, I can see the necromancer stupidly hiding in say he Biter bunker, but...

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2012, 04:20:53 am »

That talk about the biter bunker made me realize: How will you get the legendary biters sorted?
I mean, you would need rather good doctors to tend to them right after they have lost functionality in their legs and arms, also I think they wouldn't be able to get food or drink without hands (Correct me if I'm wrong on that).

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2012, 02:24:41 pm »

I think he's only doing bunkers for civilian skills. It's the starting seven that are the military dwarves.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2012, 06:02:55 pm »

Had to step away a bit. The project is farther along than the story, and I have a new Retina MBP on order as my current setup is older than Morul. Will resume shortly.

What about Vampires and Were Creatures?

Also, if Necromancers come and start raising critters from the butchers shop, wouldn't that mean all butchers die? As do hunters/anyone who creates refuse?

The intent is to filter out the evil creatures during immigrant sorting so they don't get inside - that's part of the isolation. The guards will kill any that fail the sort.

It should be physically impossible for necros to get near the bunkers - at least that's the goal. The only possible exposure would the non-airtight access from the collapsed farm bunker to the outside, but once the roof is built (glass and fortifications) that should be safe as well. It's possible a necro could slip through the defenses by following a guard doing maintenance and by staying in the right places at the right times, get inside. But I think that's effectively impossible. We'll find out!

As far as I know, the bunkers are designed in such a way that it is impossible for non-flyers to get from one to another without riding a minecart, so that would protect the dwarves from necromancers, vampires and were-nonflyers :)

A flyer building destroyer could potentially do it, but I think even that would be pretty hard. The minecart riding should be the only way around - only because there's no mechanism in game to detect/prevent it.

Considering he did morul and several other forts :) ... I doubt this will stop him. He's also currently posting in a bunch of minecraft related threads. Heck that's where I realized he was active again. I was pretty ecstatic  - and then I saw the project.

I don't think that's me. My son is the uber Minecrafter. I tell him game sucks because it lacks severed limbs. It's actually pretty fun, I just like pissing him off.

Are the military bunkers going to be of much use?
I mean, I can see the necromancer stupidly hiding in say he Biter bunker, but...

Not really. For science, perhaps. But the military bunkers are pretty much a family just bashing the shit out of each other, and nothing real to fight - but they'll preserve the craft should the rest of society fall! One of the threads that developed out of the Morul experiment was just how skilled he was relative to other famous dwarves. This would be an opportunity to find out what would happen if you took a brand new adult and trained them in sword nonstop for 50 years, or whatever. The only other thing they have to do in life is refill the booze stockpile and put on clean clothes.

Biter is one of the skills I don't have a bunker planned for - I may add it if I can figure out a sensible way to train it. These are easier bunkers to add because they don't need to be hooked into a production chain - just keep em alive.

I think he's only doing bunkers for civilian skills. It's the starting seven that are the military dwarves.

Yeah, the starting 7 (and offspring!) are the only ones that will face combatants. They also have certain hauling duties, and to fill in production duties until the fortress fills in.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2012, 06:22:00 pm »

So, as a general non-story update, things have gone a bit sideways. While progress was pretty quick there in the beginning, once the mechanics started it really, really bogged down. I think we're nearing 2000 mechanisms and it's maybe half ready. It hard to tell if things are working or not because some elements are behaving oddly. I have doors attached to pressure plates that are built correctly, but the doors keep sticking open. I don't know why - stuff like that. That's caused more mechanisms to be added to resync things, etc.

Anyway, though I may have to retcon the story a bit, things are progressing. This is all part of what I intended to learn in the process. The single biggest time killer in this are the distances given the small number of dwarves. The winding passages (remember, nobody is ever supposed to walk this place) make that even worse. Hooking mechanisms together often involves distances of 300-400 tiles. The mechanic needs to stop for booze at least once in that process.

The job system isn't helping. There are too many potential jobs that the queue doesn't add them in any way to come out efficient. And with so few dwarves, almost no jobs go onto the queue. I think it'll be fine later on, but you put all of these things into the mix and it's more like a walking around simulator than anything else. By the time I start the 2nd level things should be much better. More dwarves, the setup costs (the power plant, the sorting area, etc.) will already be done, etc. And we'll have the first level mostly occupied, making food and booze, and taking that load off of the guards. Oh! And I'll have my new laptop which should be at least 5x faster than this poor aging one. 2.3GHz i7, 16GB RAM, SSD. And we'll see what DF does with a 220 dpi monitor (shit all over it, I suspect).

I'll try and get a proper update up this weekend. My todo list is insidious at the moment, but Sunday should buy me some time to get things going again.

Flavio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2012, 10:54:32 am »

This is awesome. An excellent story so far, I'm eager to see this fortress when its build!

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2012, 05:04:55 am »

Yaay Responses!

Whoops sorry - I said minecraft thread, when what i wanted to say was mineCART related thread.

Maybe some enterprising mechanics coder may have already encountered/solved the delayed door opening problem. Someone did code out a calculator in DF, so it may be a solved problem.

Perhaps use Morul magic and increase the aging rate of the dwarves, and pretend ingame time occurs twice as fast?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2012, 05:10:48 am »

I don't think that's me. My son is the uber Minecrafter. I tell him game sucks because it lacks severed limbs. It's actually pretty fun, I just like pissing him off.
You are now my official role model with regards to parenting!

(Or !!PARENTING!!, but I guess that wouldn't be too healthy for your son)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

ghostwoods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2012, 02:57:02 pm »

Martin, you are undoubtedly the Viktor Frankenstein of Dwarf Fortress.

This experiment is even more epic than Morul's incredible training. Thank you.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2012, 01:25:41 am »

Live.... LIVE.... LIVEEEEE

Bumping thread so its easier to find. Morul, come back!

Also, can we get someone to mod in the the elf king - sadly his name is lost to me.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2012, 12:03:59 pm »

Cacame. I think there's a mod for it already.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2012, 02:19:42 am »

Really? A mod for cacame? Wher?

Also, does this thread live? Checking for signs of life.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8