Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Supreme Commander  (Read 3700 times)

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
Supreme Commander
« on: May 23, 2012, 10:16:47 am »

The old threads haven't been posted in for over a year, so I'd say it's time to revive a fun RTS.
I only recently bought it on Steam myself, but it's aged pretty well apart from the painful path-finding. While I'm whining about quirks, would anyone like to explain why the UEF put a lowly major in charge of defending the planet-destroying, war-ending super weapon?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Supreme Commander
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 04:32:44 pm »

Probably because by the end of the campaign you're the best commander they have, beating increasingly difficult odds and never losing(from the campaign's perspective).

Or, because of the rule of fun.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 04:41:29 pm »

Been eyeing this up for a while. I didn't find the demo that good, but my friends assure me it's the bees knees. Opinions?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 04:46:52 pm »

Been eyeing this up for a while. I didn't find the demo that good, but my friends assure me it's the bees knees. Opinions?

i have only played the multiplayer with a mate over LAN but i find that this one one of the best RTS games we have played we always come back to it and find games lasting about 2-5 hours ( if you like long lasting games ), there is a huge tech tree and a lot of units to pick from, the maps are nice and spacious and have lots of nooks to hide a small base in.

you can also have a lot of units on screen at one time but i think the really game play is in the end stage stuff when you build your first nuke or experimental unit then it starts to get more fun when there are loads of WMD's fighting around the map, its a good game and if you like large scale RTS games you will like this

i also suggest buying the Addon pack Forged alliance adds a 4th faction, game play balances and a heap of new units 
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 04:48:23 pm »

If you've got a computer that can run it, I hear good things. I've got the game, but have yet to own a computer capable of running it :-\

Maybe try Spring, see if you like that -- SC is supposedly a spiritual successor to total annihilation, so if you like the latter, you'll probably get some enjoyment out of the former.

Forget how it stacks up to the sequel, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 04:48:49 pm »

I fondly remember massive artillery battles between shielded bases in this game... it truly does capture the concept of large scale warfare.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 05:08:34 pm »

Forget how it stacks up to the sequel, though.

Sequel is terrible. Never touch it. Ever. It should not even be mentioned.

Though, if you enjoy casual co-op games that have the word strategy plastered on it, then I suppose SC2 may be right for you.

I have probably invested more hours into this game than any other game, based on the shear fact that battles can last hours and it has high replayability.

There are so many tactics and strategies, I am constantly discovering new ways to play. For instance, last game (I play with my friend through Lan occasionally) I used an air transport on a large map to transport 4 engineers near my opponents base at the start. I was able to build a small base before I was discovered. From there, I slowly built up and sieged his base. My opponent attempted to upgrade his tech in order to defeat me, but I hit a sweet spot with my large force and sweeped his base.

The game also really encompasses the feeling of grandness. You generally can (and will) be fighting on multiple fronts at the same time. The location of your armies matter. When and how you upgrade your technology level is crucial .
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 05:29:11 pm »

I've been playing this (well, forged alliance) online recently, and it's been loads of fun. You definitely need a reasonably beefy rig to run it, though, it's quite demanding. As with most RTSs, the AI is pretty terrible, so you need to play with other people if you want a good game. Forged alliance still has a reasonably large online community, though the majority of the community has moved on to forged alliance forever, especially since the GPG.net lobby died.

This youtube channel has a bunch of casts of online games, if you're curious about how those look like. This is a particularly awesome game, with tons of experimentals and nukes being built, and 100s of tech 3 planes flying around by the end.

If anyone wants to play some games, I'd be up for it. IIRC, I played a couple games with Orb ages ago.

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 05:33:25 pm »

the game is a technical successor to the old Total Annihilation games

basically, you have infinite resources on the map, but you are limited by how fast you gather/spend those resources.
armies can go from specialized teams to huge, mixed unit armies.

you get weapons ranging from torpedo launchers, artillery stations that can hit from half a map away (on the larger maps), up to nukes and experimental weapons, which are actually balanced.

in this game there are many, many units and buildings, with the majority of the diversity being in the tech 2 stage. unlike most other RTS's, which offer diversity but only really have one or two useful units, every single unit in Sup Com is useful. its not uncommon to see tier 1 units being used at the ending stages of the game.

overall, strategy and unit cohesion are the important factors, as well as the ability to manage your army while simultaneously building your economy to support your war effort because you can, quite easily, outstrip your resource gathering and be left with nothing to defend yourself.

overall, its definitely worth your money, especially since you can get Sup Com and its expansion relatively cheaply. if you feel that the AI is rather weak, there are mods around that improve it in order to give you a better game experience (like sorins AI mod)

just never, ever play the second one. like the-cnc-that-cannot-be-mentioned, it takes the gameplay ideals of its predecessor and ruins it

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 08:02:28 pm »

If anyone wants to play some games, I'd be up for it. IIRC, I played a couple games with Orb ages ago.

Ah, yes. That was a LONG time ago. A year or more likely. I'd definately be up for it, but I had to switch my internet service provider and its too laggy for multiplayer games.  :-\

Oh, and before I forget, the game was made with modding in mind. The Sorian AI is quite nice (its a somewhat challenge), and I remember Phantom being fun.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 08:09:27 pm by Orb »

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 11:29:27 pm »

I dunno, I think the hate for SC2 is unwarranted. Seems like its just cool to hate it and that keeps spreading around. Lots of sequels get this treatment it seems if they are not perfect reconstructions of the original.

Maybe its just me but SC2 is a good enough game to play, last I checked you wont catch any diseases from it.
I got nothing

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 12:51:29 am »

Ah, yes. That was a LONG time ago. A year or more likely.
Yep, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were over a year.
I'd definately be up for it, but I had to switch my internet service provider and its too laggy for multiplayer games.  :-\
Aww, that sucks.
Oh, and before I forget, the game was made with modding in mind. The Sorian AI is quite nice (its a somewhat challenge), and I remember Phantom being fun.
Yeah, the Sorian AI is a big improvement on the default AI, though it's still easy to defeat if you know how to play. I've never actually played a Phantom game, but I've watched a livereplay of one or two, and they look fun indeed.
I dunno, I think the hate for SC2 is unwarranted. Seems like its just cool to hate it and that keeps spreading around. Lots of sequels get this treatment it seems if they are not perfect reconstructions of the original.

Maybe its just me but SC2 is a good enough game to play, last I checked you wont catch any diseases from it.
I think the reason that SC2 gets so much flak is because it changes several things that characterized Supcom 1 and FA. If you look at this thread, you can see what people highlight when they talk about Supcom: the scale of the battles, which SC2 reduced; the awesome experimentals, which are much less impressive in SC2; and the huge number of unit and building types, which SC2 lessened. I'd also add on the removal of the flow based economy in SC2: this is one of the things that made Supcom stand apart from other RTSs, and what made such huge constructions as the experimentals possible. If you had to pay 275,000 mass upfront for a colossus, no one would ever build one. (I realize that this was changed somewhat in a later patch, but that was not the case when many fans got their first impressions of it.)
When a sequel comes along and robs a game of its defining characteristics, you can bet that the fans of the original game will form a large hatedom. And then, like you said, the hate will spread even further because it is the majority opinion.

To be clear: I don't mean to say that SC2 is bad game, just that it makes a lot of sense that fans of the original will dislike it.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 01:05:56 am »

Eactly. What I loved of supcom was the craziness of experimentals and the effort in not making the faction the usual harder/faster/balanced trio

Supcom 2 was a lot more polished, but also quite more conventional.

Also, smaller map in campaigns of supcom 2 forced the strategy on players, while supcom 1 left you pretty much free to innovate.

In supcom 1 you could decide tho ignore the evident fact that you were playing on a watery map and just transport loads of tanks on the front; or you could buy walking ships for the additional firepower even on land maps..

Supcom2 maps are so small that you don't have time to make up a strategy, it's about playing the way the dev intended you to play.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 06:08:15 am »

To add to Squirtle,, the technology tree was also changed. A horde of T1s can beat an army of T2s. Its what I love about the game, since I can stay in T1 and not be at too much of a disadvantage if I continually put pressure on my T2 opponent.

In SC2, you build expensive buildings that do 'free' research for you. This research makes your units better. What this means in the end, is that someone who has more research will get a clear advantage over you, reducing tactics and eventually they just overwhelm you with a smaller, more technology advanced force.

Nukes and Anti-nukes are also ridiculous in SC2, because the Anti-nuke's range is pathetically small. At least they were initially, patches may have changed it.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 06:20:25 am »

I think patches did change it, but after the new DLC, the cybrans got an experimental nuke catch-and-throw-back thing which was horribly painful versus the A.I. on the highest difficulty, seeing how ''friendly'' nukes weren't intercepted by anti-nukes. I can win vs 3 A.I.'s on the highest difficulty solo w00t! :P
Pages: [1] 2