Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Initiates of the Pentagram (Week 2 Weekdays)  (Read 5573 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Initiates of the Pentagram (Week 1 Weekend)
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2012, 10:59:08 am »

Dwarmin held the flyer in his hands, thinking a moment. He had slowed time for a bit-it helped him to concentrate, watching the nearby hourglass dispel it's sand in extreme slow motion.

He knew Ivica Tanova-she had been a well respected senior Hourbender mage when he was merely a Junior Secondspinner, and had on occasion, had a few kinds words to spare for him-a good deal of young Temporal mages in his class, they had looked upon Ivica as their idol. Dwarmin himself had always had a crush on her...though, he doubted she even knew his name.

In time, he had taken direct inspiration from her, he had honed his charisma and charm, realizing that strength of words could be potent as magic.

Today, he decided he would prove himself her most apt pupil...

Action: Support Ivica in the debate-assert that proper and respectful magical demonstration helps dispel the aura of mistrust felt by non-spell casters to those of learned magics. Reinforce Ivica's original point-that it's the school's responsibility to educate the public, and that these demonstrations help even the smallest child understand how much of a gift magic can be to the people of the kingdom, and that it can be controlled and utilized safely. Ask Bernard Schimdt if he is willing to adapt to changing future we are facing-no doubt drawing some easy laughter from my temporally inclined colleagues.

Steer clear of personal attacks, or attempts to draw me into the same. If magically or physically attacked or harmed in anyway, do not defend myself-though I'll probably try to evade-merely weather the strike calmly and declare my point proven.

Spend time during the weekend gathering my own roster of friends-essentially, a cheering section that helps reinforce my points and get the crowd on my side.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 11:06:08 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2012, 01:14:19 pm »

Buy book of faces -38
Buy Mystical Cube, rename the Companion Cube -50
Buy 5 tomes -50
Buy 1 alchemist's potions: -20

Attend the debate, support Bernard

"Magic is a powerful force that should not be used frivolously for the entertainment of peasants"

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2012, 02:04:32 pm »

Buy a book of faces, and 3 tomes.

Action: Support Ivica in the debate. Explain my view that magic is something that shouldn't be kept exclusive. If people want to hold demonstrations, and at the same time learning how to better their magic. As with Dwarmin, keep this non-personal. No need to resort to petty arguments.

If someone tries to physically/magically attack me, then dodge, and berate whoever attacked me, saying that it was a really stupid thing to do.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2012, 04:46:43 pm »

Purchase three tomes.

Attend debate for amusement. Do not take any particular side, but just watch the festivities.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2012, 07:52:27 pm »

I'm not making an update until at least 12 hours later.

If people wanted to write up biographies for lesser characters like Ivica, feel free to do so. The lore section is crying for more entries.

Just note that this debate, or almost more than half of the conflicts in the current (magical) world, deal with non-Quintilian theories. And for every reason except truth or magic.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2012, 12:42:26 pm »

I'm up for that, EvilCherry. :P

Spoiler: Ivica Tanova (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bernard Schmidt (click to show/hide)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2012, 02:52:42 pm »

Hope you don't mind Dwarmin, but your post got me going. (Also evilcherry, you only specified background for characters so I hope this is ok). 

The First Mage War:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 02:55:56 pm by Wayward Device »
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2012, 04:06:37 am »

My bad for making the 12-hr break 30+ hrs because of a freaking game of Eclipse. Will resume editing soon.

Ah, so the book of faces become some kind of centerpiece of conflict. Or at least like the assassination of that Habsburg...

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2012, 02:31:36 pm »

Weekend, Week 1

The City Square.

It has been, traditionally or at least in the last Pentade, a venue for public speeches, discussions, demonstrations, fistfights, or in general any kind of dispute resolution which couldn't be done before a judge. It was known that the first casualty of the First Mage War was caused here - A seeking fireball hitting its intended target as he is trying to blend into the crowds.

Usually it was miners asking for a pay raise, apprentices calling for free trade. Today it took a bit of... Academic flavor, as a large number of mages has gathered . It looked like it would erupt into something worse at any minute.

"Welcome, Daytwister Tanova. Thought you would never show up."
"Thank you. Temporal Mages are usually known for their punctuality," replies Ivica. "But it looks like you are doing this better than us today." Behind her there are a large crowd of supporters: Most are underclassmen, but some are junior mages of full graduate ranks.
"Certainly. After all it is all hard work," referring to his supporters behind him. Their attire told it all: Exquisite robes, adorned with symbols and non-symbols in the elements, with tall non-rimmed hats, which are formal clothing of those high in the Conjuring Orders. And there are a few very finely adorned oars, symbolizing guidance for the death, as signs of necromancers thrown into the mix. "And yes, it is where I begin. We do our work and preparation honestly, and not you kind who keep stealing time."
"I don't understand. We don't steal time. We change them, just as you change all the elements. But I think this is not the point of discussion. As I said then, the main point is encouraging integration of magic in the society of commonfolk. And while the demonstrations are more akin to a performance, they have been and are, in fact, practical uses of magic. These uses have certainly helped the live of both commonfolk and magicans a lot, for example, magical treatments have improved the long-standing overcrowding of hospitals. Certainly Evoker Schmidt..."
"That is a title that Lucius gave to me. And I never need that title. I AM Bernard Schmidt, and should remain the same. And what had the improved hospitals bring to all of us? What do the Chronocoach service promoted by your kind, you proud time mages, have brought benefits to the people? You must remember the Schalass incident, which tragically 115 was still recorded as missing in official records, due an error which left them forever drifting in time.
"No," Schmidt cleared his throat and continued, "Commonfolk should be protected from from tragic incidents like this. And this is only part of the progress of you folks from the so-called 'progress club' had made. And in the name of progress, you actually made everyone worse. Accidents are just a part of it; loss of jobs another, and perhaps should be of higher importance, Daytwister."

(Dwarmin: 40<44<60.)
"Back to the point," An Fresh Graduate, known as Dwarmin, spoke from the ranks behind Ivica. "And that is why demonstrations like this are exactly needed. The Schalass incident was too much a scar for commonfolk to bear, that is a fact, but how are you going to reverse that? Banning them? Making that exclusive for the Magickind? It is not something that the commonfolk will come to understand, and unless we open up, we will end up with a revolt from the commonfolk. And either way, someone more enterprising would just gather people around his cause, and as the stone started rolling down a slope, there is nothing to stop it save a violent crash." As he spoke, signs of approval has come from his ranks, with the occasional jeer from the opposite side.
(Doombound: 10<50)
"And that's why we have to keep them under guard." Yelled Doombound Snarforth, who rose his plain oar, signifying his intention to speak and calling for attention. "We have to stop this from happening..."
(Quarrion: 100!)
"This will happen. This will exist."Replied Quarrion Ellis, a conjurer standing in the Temporal Camp. "I agree with this Temporal fellow, we are not going to stop this anyway. The only way to prevent tragedies like this is to make sure everyone know the advantages and disadvantages of applied magic. And as incomprehensible as it stands, we might have to abandon our rigid structure, and try to retool ourselves to face the present challenges. I actually suggest we establish a working group on applied magic and develop standards, measures, procedures and anything else for a more sustainable and co-habitable future."
He was greeted by "Hear him!" "Excellent!" from the ranks, partly for his eloquent speech, and partly for his courage to cross the bench.
(Bernard's Reply: 3! Your discussion did not help with this critical failure.)
"To Clarify our case," Bernard interrupted the underclassman, with an expression of half disdain and half indifference. "We are prepared to defend our point. Certainly, people are and should be defended from the horrible forces of... this."
Putting his hand before him, he continued. "Miss Tanova, to protect the people from further destruction, the Traditionalist Pentagram has to step in and stop this, by words or by force." As a axe of flames appeared in his palm, he concluded. "We have to prove you incapable of handling the art of magic."
(Julius: 60>40. Auto success, anyway as the Bernard took this too seriously.)
"So much for discussion," Replied Julius the Outlander, from the Tanova Camp. Pointing at the mass of mages, as they are preparing for a fight, he quipped, "As expected of you."

It looks like there would be a fight, anyway. What you know for certain is that there would be a battle-ready army within a minute - Conjurers holds on the war ministry for a reason, and they even have a standing Mage Company in their order. Ivica probably won't fight, since she has already proven her point, but this would probably lead to both sides claiming victories. A fight may break out anyway, and participation may make you more famous, even your victory or defeat probably mean very little. Alternatively you may try to contact the Magical Constabulary to quell the situation, but its front-line staff consists of a majority of conjurers. Or any suitable method.

This would probably be the last decision you will make this weekend.

Buy book of faces -38
Buy Mystical Cube, rename the Companion Cube -50
Buy 5 tomes -50
Buy 1 alchemist's potions: -20

Attend the debate, support Bernard

"Magic is a powerful force that should not be used frivolously for the entertainment of peasants"
Tomes: 75, 83, 18, 19, 20.
You received a set of recipes of the Ethereal Lobster, A Diviner's Journal, 3 Books of Accounting.

(Update for everyone else and other tome lottery results in next update.)

Note: The Schalass Incident is, simply put, a Traffic Incident concerned vehicles travelling within a time bubble created temporal mages. A human error left the boat Schalass left presumably "lost" in time.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 04:31:32 pm by evilcherry »

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Initiates of the Pentagram (Week 1 Weekend part 2)
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2012, 04:32:26 pm »

Update finally up. I will incorporate what you have written into the lore.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2012, 04:55:50 pm »

Whoo boy Nat 100 against a 3.

Truly I should get some sorta persuasion or speech skill. Also upstaging a well known mage, awww yeah.

Fight defensively, trying only to knock out, or otherwise disable the conjurers.

Edited Action: Shout out another speech, citing the first mage war, and how the horrors of it can be recalled again. "Do we really want this for our future, and our children's future!? You would hurt innocent people, to prove a petty point?! We should all end this silliness!"
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 06:11:03 pm by Ochita »
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2012, 05:47:45 pm »

Action: Follow Ivica's lead here-if she marches out on this abominable use of our magical gifts, follow her with head held high, leading others.

If she decides to fight, I stay back and protect her from suffering any 'accidents', that Bernard might have prepared for her.

Spoiler: Chronoranks (click to show/hide)

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2012, 05:52:59 pm »

Try to quell the situation with a speech. Point out that it was in these very grounds that the First Mage War began, under circumstances not so dissimilar to these. Appeal for calm, reminding all present that the last time magic was used in anger in this square the effects reverberated throughout the Known World. If that fails and a fight does break out support the Chronomages by Lesser Kinetic Binding conjurors to awkward objects as opportunities present themselves. If any conjurors have particular casting habits, try to inhibit them (i.e. if they use hand gestures, Bind their fingers together, if they must speak Words of Power Bind shut their lips etc).   

or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2012, 03:27:03 pm »

Stay to the sidelines, collect any corpses that may be created for materials for later...experiments.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2012, 04:07:34 pm »

Halgriev let out a loud laugh at Bernard. "So your argument is simply that you have the power to enforce your whims. Why didn't you just say so earlier?" she shouted with a bemused expression.

"Also, the services of an emergency healer are for sale," she added to the crowd. "I hope the wounded have gold or favors."

Mercenary healer mode- avoid conflict, heal those who are currently out of the conflict, by running or being downed by injury, and who pay for the privilege.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4