Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gears & Axles Question  (Read 747 times)

Gears & Axles Question
« on: May 23, 2012, 01:48:53 am »

I am trying to connect up a roller system for my mine cart good distribution network but I am having some difficulty placing the system architecturally with my fort.

I thought I could hook up a Gear Mechanism to another Gear Mechanism 1 z-level above/below as using a Vertical Axle wouldn't allow for only a 1 z-level change. However, this does not appear to work (not sure if it should though). I also can not place a vertical axle beside a gear mechanism to go up/down a single z-level, as the vertical axle doesn't seem to connect up to the gear mechanism next to it.

So this begs the question: How does one move a power line only 1 z-level in the most minimal amount of space?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Gears & Axles Question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 01:50:26 am »

basically said, I think: it should work, weird
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 01:54:41 am »

Is there a hole in the floor between the gear mechanisms?
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 02:24:12 am »

Of course.

After the first response gave the impression it should work, I just restarted the game and it worked right. So I guess it was just the algorithm dorf's time to go on break/eat/sleep/drink. XD

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 03:15:23 am »

Put a gear mechanism on the z-level above the powered device. I *think* it should work. I haven't done all that much with axles and mechanisms, but I managed to power a few mills with a vertical axle going straight down from the windmill, and built a couple more right next to it and the power transferred. This was also a few releases ago.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 09:37:07 am »

Of course.

After the first response gave the impression it should work, I just restarted the game and it worked right. So I guess it was just the algorithm dorf's time to go on break/eat/sleep/drink. XD

Interesting you mentioned you had to restart the game. I was trying to build some waterwheel stuff recently and it just was not working, only when the gear was right next to it, axles did nothing. Maybe i should try it again and then restart, maybe a bug has crept in.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.