Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Okay, so I dug too deep  (Read 5439 times)

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Okay, so I dug too deep
« on: May 23, 2012, 01:10:39 am »

Finally worked up the courage to mine candy, got about 25 pieces before I breached. Clowns came pouring out and I lost 2 out of 3 miners, but everyone else was safe behind a wall I got up just in time. Combat is out of the question since I have a fort of 40 dwarves, and there's at least 110 clowns. What's a good way to deal with the circus in this situation? Also, I can see magma as an item lying around near some of them, with value/weight and description/forbid/dump menus. Can't find any reference to it being in item form anywhere, so what's the deal? Can I use it for anything?
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, so I dug too deep
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 01:15:15 am »

might have one made from magma?

a hallway with an artifact statue or other construction, surrounded by candy or steel upright spikes linked to a lever will seriously cut down on their numbers. Prepare some cave-in chambers like that too and it should be completely do-able
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 01:19:10 am »

Huh. There ARE some fire fiends nearby, but the only clown to engage in combat was a banshee who my miner actually took some limbs off before dying. Curious if I can build a magma statue for the entrance of my fort =P
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 01:20:47 am »

I used to see that magma stuff after I dumped stones into magma. Maybe it's molten stones you dumped in?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 01:22:33 am »

Can't be, it's 1/3 up the 150 z level stairway, on one of the tiny tunnels I made my miner do to try and save him (he then wandered down to say hi to the clowns mid tunnel). So much for walling him in and saving him later haha. Least one of them managed to do it.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 01:53:12 am »

Name your fortress Moria and then go adventuring in it with a whole fellowship of men.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 02:55:42 am »

Well, generally you want to prepare before digging too deep too greedily but walling the demons off and preparing some defenses shouldn't be too hard if they didn't reach your main stairways.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 04:14:48 am »

That magma are body parts of a demon.
Store it until you have a moody dwarf and use a burrow to have a magma artifact.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 09:30:50 am »

Magma artifact? BRILLIANT! And yeah, I had a tunnel at one point where I managed to wall them off. now they've diffused into the magma and are slowly working up. I just hope there's no entrance from the magma into a cavern somewhere, or I'm in real trouble

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 11:06:38 am »

I recently got lucky enough to get one of those lovely upright adamanatine weapons in an embark, so I saved a backup of the fort and am trying different things with it. Of course first I had to release them just to see what happened... and wow, they weren't kidding when they said it was FUN. Mass slaughter, even with a military that included at least a dozen legendary dwarves, and nearly fifty total, none of which are raw recruits. (Goblins in cage traps, plus arena and live-target archery range... Trained them all up with maybe twenty total military casualties over the life of the fort. Very nice.)

The way I'm experimenting with now is multiple bridges, enclosed--break up the stream of clowns into small, manageable groups--use fortifications to shoot bolts at them, soften them up. Won't necessarily fall to the bolts, or to spike traps; so you have to find ways to clean up the ones that don't fall to piercing damage. I'm thinking steel-battleaxe dwarves...

The syndromes are giving me the most trouble with my design. I'm considering routing some water through there to clean off the bridge area periodically, and isolating the area itself with a dwarf-washer to prevent syndrome sludge from getting tracked into the fort proper.

Going to have to figure out a way to deal with the inevitable unhappiness from dwarven deaths too. Those aren't preventable because of deadly-dust attacks and other ranged attacks that can go straight through fortifications. So... I'm thinking a kitten drop in the dining room? But I've never really had any success with getting them not to care about anything by just dropping kittens. And if I drop children, it's risking a tantrum spiral.

You could just do a dwarven checkerboard, but that's a bit cheaty. And anyway, your dwarves don't actually get to kill the clowns themselves that way.

It's essentially a matter of fighting endless Forgotten Beasts, all of which can fly and all of which will go straight to your dwarves and start slaughtering. Rather interesting strategic challenge.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:10:18 am by Callista »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 11:15:25 am »

Name your fortress Moria and then go adventuring in it with a whole fellowship of men.
Khàzad Dûm, Moria is the Elven name.

Finally worked up the courage to mine candy, got about 25 pieces before I breached. Clowns came pouring out and I lost 2 out of 3 miners, but everyone else was safe behind a wall I got up just in time. Combat is out of the question since I have a fort of 40 dwarves, and there's at least 110 clowns. What's a good way to deal with the circus in this situation? Also, I can see magma as an item lying around near some of them, with value/weight and description/forbid/dump menus. Can't find any reference to it being in item form anywhere, so what's the deal? Can I use it for anything?
You reached candy at 40 Dwarves? Impressive. Still, you could always have a 40 strong military.

Of course first I had to release them just to see what happened...
Where's the fun in that? :(

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 11:18:29 am »

Widespread slaughter, blood-spattered walls, berserk children... what's not to love? That's why I made a backup to play with.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 11:24:50 am »

Widespread slaughter, blood-spattered walls, berserk children... what's not to love? That's why I made a backup to play with.
And yet, your fortress still lives, without the widespread slaughter, blood-spattered walls, berserk children and fortress smashing HFS.
It's a sad day for the mountainhome when the fortress has not been destroyed.

Rakushun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 11:27:27 am »

Just carve fortifications into the candy until the tube is revealed. Free candy, trapped clowns.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 11:46:55 am »

candy at 40 Dwarves? Impressive. Still, you could always have a 40 strong military.
I would of gotten there at like 20, but the grand total was over a hundred z levels below surface, and the caverns presented a danger with no military. Lava was a barrier too, I was in the middle of the lava sea, and had to designate dig areas to see where warm rock was. strangely enough, I had a breach without getting a warm rock reading, which set me back a bit. Entire layer got flooded+stairs going down, had to work around that =(

Edit: Might make a tunnel to the surface and set them loose up there, will be a much more reliable way to deal with sieges than traps, and it has a nice feeling to it. Might be tricky avoiding all my dwarves dying, sacrifices might be made.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 12:06:27 pm by Morpha »

Pages: [1] 2