Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampire revenge  (Read 1209 times)

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampire revenge
« on: May 23, 2012, 12:55:47 am »

I had this vampire. He has killed a few useless peasant and I didn't care because my population was too high, it was like 275 or so at the time. Well, he made a mistake and ate a legendary soldier for dinner. I got mad and convicted him of all crimes and put him in jail for 350 days. So I go on and forgot about him for a while.
Fast forward to when he gets released. I put the follow camera on him as the jailer comes to unshackle him. He proceeds strait to the bedroom level and seeks out another sleeping legendary soldier. Oh shit, red alert. I order all of my squads to station by his door, but the vampire sucks him dry and escapes before the military arrives. I am mad, but I decide to keep following him to see what vampires do.
They drink blood.

He must have been real thirsty, after 350 days of no blood, he had an insatiable desire for the stuff. He went door to door and sucked dry half a dozen dwarves in a row. I stopped being mad and started laughing. A child witnessed him in the act and they ended up accusing each other. I had so many dwarves go insane or berserk. I used my strong military to keep them in line.

I was on the verge of a spiral, but it never came. I lost maybe 20 dwarves over a few years time afterwards, but things balanced out eventually. At this point, I had put the vampire into the military and gotten him into legendary status too. I stopped letting him have his way when he murdered his own squadmate and sparring partner. That got me mad again. I convicted him of every murder and sent him back to jail. This time, for 1,500 days. There is still 1,300 days left on his sentence. I am eagerly waiting the day he is released and devours the entire fortress all at once. All 240 of them.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:02:11 am by GoldenShadow »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire revenge
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 01:00:07 am »

be sure to write us about how that ends up. btw, if he's in military and you use station order, the vampire usually moves before draining the victim, then goes for a new one. that way you can have him drink blood without draining the victim(s) completely
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 06:49:59 am »

I've got a dwarven vampire in my current world with over 12,000 kills. There's about 200 dwarf kills and something like 9,000 human and 3,000 goblin kills. He's a friggin machine. I haven't even had an adventurer get near those sorts of numbers in the last few versions. Especially if elves don't count.

I sort of hope that this guy makes his way to my fortress one day. I'll shake his hand and make him king. He can vampyrize the entire fort if he wants to. He deserves some immortal servants and some decently alchoholic blood for a change.

There's also a were-gila-monster that was cursed by the same god, but she sucks. Only about 500 kills. Still, she might be a cool novelty dwarf if she shows up.

Has anyone else get some fairly high numbers on their vamps/weres/husks from world-gen in this version?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 07:16:14 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 07:12:54 am »

Just so that it DID happen, here:

Go imageshack and blurring jpegs pointlessly. Yay. Anyway, it kind of makes you happy with the dwarf gods when they do something right for once.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 07:18:10 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 08:42:49 am »

Actually, looking at the history of Bulwarkblown (the place that Tostig lived out his murderous life), those numbers are just normal. Quite normal. A little low for a vamp actually. I've just counted up six different vampires that have lived in Bulwarkblown at some time that have over 80,000 kills between them (mostly human and goblin). The highest is over 17,000 kills. This is without the random lizard/gila/whatever monsters roaming about and sporadic goblin raids/snatching. It must really suck to live there.

After 400 years of evidence and 80,000 deaths, you'd think that something would alert them to the fact that there's a problem. It's a town, how many people can there be living there at any time? More than 200 a year in any case. 0.34.08 vamps really kick some arse in world gen.
It's a game. Have fun.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 11:17:29 am »

Anybody else notice that his wife was 13 years old when she gave birth to their first child?

Ah well, guess there had to be at least a couple more vampires like Edward Cullen...

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 11:28:38 am »

Anybody else notice that his wife was 13 years old when she gave birth to their first child?

Ah well, guess there had to be at least a couple more vampires like Edward Cullen...

You forget, olden days era game. That's how they used to do it. 12 year old pharaohs, 13 year old mother of Jesus. Benefit of less schooling, you were an adult sooner :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 11:29:26 am »

After 400 years of evidence and 80,000 deaths, you'd think that something would alert them to the fact that there's a problem. It's a town, how many people can there be living there at any time? More than 200 a year in any case. 0.34.08 vamps really kick some arse in world gen.
Adventure mode tells us they do know.
They bloody well know.
It's just, no one wants to anger the ageless spawn of the night that has just eaten 80,000 people. It would be most uncool. It's a good thing adventurers are hot  8)

13 = You're old enough to be conscripted enroll in the military