Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblins are pushovers  (Read 2459 times)

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblins are pushovers
« on: May 22, 2012, 05:46:28 pm »

Three squads, one of swords, one of crossbows, and one of trolls.

Trolls get through the gate before I can close it, no matter, they get ripped to shreds by my speardwarves. Checked the log, all that happened were critical organ strikes. Plus the one that got his head bitten off by a war grizzly bear.

The other two groups went into the pit trap and got quartered. At the end I got bored, given that there is no way to force dwarves to restock on ammo (is there?), so I atom smashed them, except they escaped instead because dwarves are dumb. Chased the fleeing, battered swordsmen for 50 tiles and killed four more before the last two managed to escape.

Weaks =|
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Goblins are pushovers
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 05:53:42 pm »

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 05:54:47 pm »

"Oh damn. The main entrance closed! But wait! There's a convenient entrance only 10 tiles away! It can't possibly be a murderous trap!"

MonsteR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:57:22 pm »

I love speardorfs. Anyone showing up at my fort with skill in spears pretty much gets drafted immediately.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 06:03:16 pm »

Yeah, spear combat consists of lobbing it straight through some important organ, twisting it around until they fall to their knees, and then fisting them until they finally, mercifully die.

One actually latched onto a conscious goblin's leg and proceeded to chew through it like it was a dog bone while a war dog was swiping at the poor gobbo's chest. Their jobs seemed oddly reversed.

MonsteR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 06:19:41 pm »

and then fisting them until they finally, mercifully die.

Now there's a mental image I could have lived without xD

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 06:21:06 pm »

One actually latched onto a conscious goblin's leg and proceeded to chew through it like it was a dog bone while a war dog was swiping at the poor gobbo's chest. Their jobs seemed oddly reversed.
Nah, they were both switching things up for increased challenge and job satisfaction. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 06:32:53 pm »

happy opposite day?
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 07:08:31 pm »

A post in bay12 that has to do with killing gobbisplannos that has no magma involved? Mind=blown.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 07:31:32 pm »

A post in bay12 that has to do with killing gobbisplannos elves that has no magma horrible methods of every kind, which USE magma involved? Mind=blown.

Fixed.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 08:14:14 pm »

You're right, next time I'll apply !!SCIENCE!!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 10:33:07 pm »

SCIENCE in this case meaning wikipedia-ing 'Torture' 'Deathtrap' and 'Murder' and liberally applying everything learned there.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

1v0ry_k1ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 09:40:41 am »

Consider the addition of some more evil races in your future worldgenning

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105373.0

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 10:59:52 am »

That sounds to me like an early-game siege. They should become a bit more difficult to take on as your fort becomes more wealthy and defeats more sieges--they'll probably come with mounts and such.

Oh--by the way, have you tried capturing them in cage traps and putting them in an arena? Very much fun there. Also, !!fun!! if you don't do it right. :)

Goblins aren't a huge challenge, but they can keep you on your toes.

Also, antagonize elves and humans into war for best results. You'll be under siege more often than not.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 03:52:18 pm »

They came mounted on giant olms, my dead list stretches until 150 so I think it was pretty large overall. Nonetheless I've had bigger - one came with five squads and a DEMON, before. That was fun, especially when their giant bat-mounted bowmen overflew my walls and pretty much shattered my military. And then the damn demon flew in =(