Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do ....  (Read 2014 times)

phaulty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How do ....
« on: May 22, 2012, 05:22:41 pm »

I make it so i dont have migration waves of 25-30 dwarves.  I have everytime 200+ dwarves by 3rd 4th year and its too much too quick.  I need help.  I have exposed children dwarves feeling embarresed. 

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
Re: How do ....
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 05:48:45 pm »

go to your dwarf fortress folder, then data>init then open d_init in notepad and find the line [POPULATION_CAP:200] and change the 200 to whatever you want, bear in mind you will ALWAYS get 2 migrant waves, so it might go over this limit if you put it very low.

below it is also a cap on how many children you have, i put mine to 15:10 cause i don't like having loads of children

EDIT:

I forgot to say you can change the population cap to a higher number when you are ready for a few more dwarves. I set mine to 60 to start with and then increase it in the d_init file and restart DF to get some more dwarves arriving
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

phaulty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 05:54:48 pm »

will that first new migrant wave when you up the limit be a 25-30 migrant wave?  I would love just 5 or 6 migrants per wave.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 06:07:41 pm »

will that first new migrant wave when you up the limit be a 25-30 migrant wave?  I would love just 5 or 6 migrants per wave.

Nope, changing the pop cap should prevent those big waves. The first two migrant waves, the ones that are around 3-8 dwarves, are the automatic ones that you get regardless of pop cap, so you can't avoid hitting about 15-20 dwarves. After that the pop cap will kick in and limit future waves.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

phaulty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 06:20:41 pm »

thank you.  That will help.

MonsteR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 06:22:58 pm »

Nope, changing the pop cap should prevent those big waves. The first two migrant waves, the ones that are around 3-8 dwarves, are the automatic ones that you get regardless of pop cap, so you can't avoid hitting about 15-20 dwarves. After that the pop cap will kick in and limit future waves.

It will scale them down even if you are well under the cap, or only if a larger wave would exceed the cap?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 07:34:08 pm »

The population cap is currently a soft limit, so if you are at or below the currently in use population cap, you will get the next migration wave.  How well your fortress is doing plays a larger part in migration wave size than the pop-cap does, from my experience.  e.g., if you set the pop-cap to 20, and dig no stone, just soil/sand for the first six months or so, you will end up with maybe 20 dwarves total by the time the caravan gets there.  On the other hand, if you immediately dig into stone, dig out some decent metal deposits, and build your dinning hall into a olivine pocket, then smooth it before the first migration wave arrives, you will get a downright silly number of dwarves for those two waves.  I've personally done both, though in 0.31.18-ish.  Migration hasn't changed much since then other than getting historical figures more often.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 01:09:26 am »

to limit the size of migrant waves, you'd have to limit fortress wealth a lot. So no, there is no way to limit waves to a size of +/- 20 through coding.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.