Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Would this work?  (Read 604 times)

GalacticCow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Would this work?
« on: May 22, 2012, 04:44:51 pm »

So I have an idea for an addition to my fortress.  I like the map I'm in, so I don't want to cause premature Fun, therefore I want to know from the community if they think this would work, rather than test it prematurely and possibly have it go horrifyingly wrong.

Anyways, here's the idea: I want to create a dwarf-washing machine that doubles as a mist generator.  The plan is to have a river-sourced waterway that runs through my fortress and inevitably fall down through the ceiling of my main hallway, through grates in the floor, and then is pumped back up into the river.  This would create a curtain of water, in a sense, that my dwarves would walk through.  By doing so, the dwarves would become clean of all the bloodstains and mud they've racked up, and by creating a waterfall, I would create mist, effectively making the dwarves happy.

So, can dwarves, or will dwarves, willingly walk through water?  Can dwarves walk on floor grates in this way?  Will the dwarves recieve any negative effects from getting wet?  Will this not generate mist in the first place?  Will my dwarves possibly drown?  Will this work on my animals too, or will they drown?  Can I pump water back up to the river fast enough, or will my fortress flood?  Will my fortress flood anyways?

Thanks!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Would this work?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 05:31:44 pm »

Dwarves will willingly walk through water that is less than 4/7 deep.  It is not difficult to create a waterfall that they walk through, and they will get cleaned off and get happy thoughts from the mist in the process.

The main problem with this is that the contamination that washes off the dwarves will be left behind on the grate.  Contrary to what you might expect, pools of blood and mud and forgotten beast extract do not pass through grates.  In my experience you'll end up with a pool of stuff on the grate that re-contaminates any dwarf that walks past.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

GalacticCow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 06:02:08 pm »

hmm...well, that is a bit of a let-down with the re-contamination.  I can still make a mist generator, but it seems that it would be easier just to avoid that nonsense altogether.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 01:35:31 am »

My dwarf washer dropped onto a solid floor and flowed sideways through a fortification.  Some job cancel spam occasionally.  But fun stuff.

These days I just make a foot washing pond at my entrance.  But it was fun to build once.

Abysium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 01:57:56 am »

wait, contams dont pass grates? how should one make a shower that gets rid of the contams then?

JTTCOTE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 02:04:23 am »

run the water through fortifications?