Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fire  (Read 2262 times)

ToastySpace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fire
« on: May 22, 2012, 03:54:30 pm »

Well i had just tried to set up some magma forges and smelters and my dwarf caught fire. This rampaging, fiery dwarf ran outside and set my embark a blaze. What should i do to help prevent this?

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 03:56:10 pm »

Well i had just tried to set up some magma forges and smelters and my dwarf caught fire. This rampaging, fiery dwarf ran outside and set my embark a blaze. What should i do to help prevent this?

Why do you want to prevent that?

And I know no way to fix the guy, as I don't believe firefighting has been implemented yet. But then, I'm also a total n00b, so others (e.g. Girlinhat, Quietust, Psieye, LW...) would probably be able to give you much better answers.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 04:19:47 pm »

Don't let your dwarves go into the magma, and don't let the magma flow over your dwarves. This will prevent them from being set on fire from contacting magma.

It's usually not practical to stop a fire after it starts. It's possible to put out the flames on a burning creature, but it takes a vast amount of water - they have to have 7-depth water occupy their square to do it reliably, and they won't willingly move into that depth, so you either need to drop water on them or drop them in water. Having a dwarf bath will sometimes extinguish flames, but not always. Since such a structure (a trough in your entry hallway, to the surface or caverns, that is filled with 2- or 3-depth water) is useful anyway for disease containment, building one may be helpful, however.

You can stop a fire from passing through an area through a couple of means. The quickest is usually to have your miners dig a channel ahead of the flames. Fire doesn't spread across z-levels, so a channel stops fire in its tracks. Another means is to build an unpaved road as a fire break; unpaved roads build pretty fast if they're small and remove vegetation from under them, and without any grass to burn the fire won't spread through them. This is a temporary solution, but usually lasts long enough to stop a wildfire.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 04:21:55 pm »

Line your magma workshop in booze.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 04:29:24 pm »

How were you setting up your forges and smelters that you managed to catch a dwarf on fire without him just poofing into smoke?

It may not be that you need to figure out how to prevent dwarves from setting themselves on fire, but rather you might want to rework the way you are setting your metalworking industry up.  Something that is guaranteed to either a) not set them on fire, or b) ensure that they burn up entirely before setting the rest of your fort on fire.

Try channeling out from above the magma.  Or I will build a tunnel underneath where I want my forges, then send a single (disposable) engraver to go carve a fortification into the magma so it can fill the tunnel up.  Either he makes it out safely or not.  There's never been a close-call when he's come out alive but on fire.  (After all, dwarf labor is cheaper than building floodgates.)  If you really want to be sure, bottle him up with a floodgate before asking him to carve that fortification.  Suicide magma squad.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 04:41:01 pm »

Sounds to me like a fire imp or fire man attack. Did you check the combat logs?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 11:49:40 pm »

Most fire accidents can be avoided in two steps:

step 1. don't use the magma sea/volcano/pipe itself--instead make a side chamber and fill it with magma (making sure there is no way for it to flow into the fort proper--making really sure!)

step 2. channel out a few tiles 2 spaces away from each other on the floor above. Magma is below, forges are above and everyone is happy.

new update means don't drop shit into magma now either. It makes magma mist
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 11:52:06 pm »

I also found out that Magma flows a great deal faster than it used to now.

And by I, I mean the miner who just dissolved on impact from the fiery wrath of the volcano I breached.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 11:57:47 pm »

new update means don't drop shit into magma now either. It makes magma mist

There is potential for channeling the stone directly above magma to create a small puff of magma mist, since the channeled boulder will have to fall into the magma.

fakechuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 12:03:57 am »

Fire snakes.
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 03:42:40 am »

Put a little pool of water they HAVE to go through to get to and from the magma forges; this will douse any flames once they are set on fire so it doesn't spread.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 04:49:36 am »

Line your magma workshop in booze.

And lignite in magma safe bins.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.