Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding sling ammunition  (Read 2463 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Modding sling ammunition
« on: May 22, 2012, 02:04:12 pm »

So I decided to add in slings.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And I decided to make stone bullets for them.

However, my problems are twofold. One: I set it as [RANGED:SLING:BULLET], will it add to the non-existant 'sling' skill? If it tries will it just not function or spontaneously make a new skill set?
Second. How do I add the reaction to make both slings and bullets? I reckoned maybe bullets could be crafted in a craftdwarfsworkorshop in batches of 30, out of a boulder. Slings would be made out of cloth, but I'm not quite sure how to do so.

Help a newbie modder out, please?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Modding sling ammunition
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 02:12:14 pm »

You need to stick to existing skills.

Those require custom reactions. I'm not at home right now; until then, look at the wiki for some tips.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 12:28:00 pm »

I also added in slings for the barbarian race I've been working on.

Like GreatWyrm said, you must stick to existing skills.  For slings I chose the skill BOW

Also the attack token needs to be specified as BLUNT or EDGE.

Here is what I used for slings, IIRC.

Then make an ammo reaction, either set it to be in the craftsdwarfshop, or you could create a custom building for all of your new slings, sling bullets, and any other items you decide to add in.  Don't forget to create an ITEM_AMMO entry for your sling bullets.  I gave bullets larger item size and similar velocity as arrows (makes them hit with greater kinetic energy), but upped the contact area and reduced the penetration depth (makes them less likely to punch through armor or reach deep organs).

The reaction to make the ammo would be much like you described.

A reaction to make the sling would be similar, except use CHAIN:NONE (replaces BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE) as your reagent item if you want to make slings from ropes (and metal chains!).  This would preclude leather slings unless you also add in a reaction to make ropes from leather.  Otherwise you can use the THREAD:NONE or CLOTH:NONE item tokens in the reagent line to make silk or cloth slings, and a separate reaction using SKIN_TANNED:NONE to make leather slings.

examples:

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 04:23:45 pm »

What about lasher skill for slings?
Lasher - allows characters to use whips and scourges more effectively.

Actually using a whip is similar to throwing a baseball except you don't release it.

Or just use thrower?
Thrower - allows characters to throw miscellaneous objects more effectively. Throwing is still as hilariously overpowered as in previous versions, and you can totally kill a charging elephant with thrown water

Or maybe use both, Lasher for weapon skill Thrower for the Ranged Skill?
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 04:54:34 pm »

Thrower - allows characters to throw miscellaneous objects more effectively. Throwing is still as hilariously overpowered as in previous versions, and you can totally kill a charging elephant with thrown water

Or maybe use both, Lasher for weapon skill Thrower for the Ranged Skill?

[WHIP] is lasher skill, IIRC.

I do like the idea of [THROW] for the ranged attack skill type, instead of bow.  It means I could have barbarian bowmen and barbarian "throwers" with their stone chucking slings.  Makes them that much more annoying with double the possible ranged units.

great idea!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 06:02:30 pm »

Just a crazy Idea, give them a ranged weapon called "Bag Pipes" and they shoot darts and use the "BLOWGUN" skill. Now you know why you fear the barbaric bag pipes and their mornful song.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 09:50:36 pm »

That is the drawback, if you put starting skills in whip looking to get a whip, you might get a sling and vice versa.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 10:15:00 pm »

That is the drawback, if you put starting skills in whip looking to get a whip, you might get a sling and vice versa.

True, should probably just make both skills [THROW] then?

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 10:24:25 pm »

True, should probably just make both skills [THROW] then?

That would be a good idea.  Sling users would get more skilled by slapping someone with their sling, slinging bullets at them, and when they throw their sling in someones face.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 03:52:54 am »

Just a crazy Idea, give them a ranged weapon called "Bag Pipes" and they shoot darts and use the "BLOWGUN" skill. Now you know why you fear the barbaric bag pipes and their mornful song.
Oh god, I'm LOVING this idea!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 03:55:23 am »

I seem to remember creating bagpipes back in 40d that shot "fear" and caused your enemies to go flying backwards with massive blunt trauma. Awesome idea indeed.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.