Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Obsidian swords  (Read 4657 times)

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
  • Please Urist wear your masterwork steel armour
    • View Profile
Obsidian swords
« on: May 22, 2012, 12:05:07 pm »

I realise this has been discussed in the past but would appreciate any recent experience or !SCIENCE! 

My last few forts (mostly in evil biomes) have had tetrahedrite and not a lot else so I have stuck with silver war hammers and copper mail. Goblinite has been hard to get hold of due to the whole perpetual reanimation thing (would love to see that tweaked a little but topic for another post)

Am a little disappointed with hammer performance on its own and would like to throw in some cutting weapons to the mix. Are obsidian swords utterly useless against bigger animals and lightly armoured foes?

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian swords
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 12:27:41 pm »

obsidian swords are worse than copper swords yet better than wooden swords.

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 12:30:46 pm »

So disappointing. I have obviously played too much oblivion. Guess I will stick with silver hammers.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 12:38:13 pm »

obsidian swords are worse than copper swords yet better than wooden swords.
Depends. Obsidian has a MAXEDGE of 20000, copper has 10000, which makes obsidian much better than copper for edge attacks. However, obsidian's raws don't contain the other values important for combat, but as far as I know, obsidian swords don't cause a lot of blunt damage or penetration, which means armor or any kind will generally stop them. Against unarmored foes, though, expect to cause some serious cuts.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 12:45:21 pm »

I was about to do some science on this, but it seems that you can't make obsidian swords in the testing arena.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 12:49:06 pm »

Obsidian swords are bugged I think. They can't cut.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 02:46:52 pm »

All those who feel the need for more and better obsidian swords (and armor) raise your right hands...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 03:04:42 pm »

not really. I'd wonder how many stone weapons would be able to "break" metal armor. Yes, it's sharp, but very brittle. Armor grade metals should be able to withstand it
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 03:59:16 pm »

not really. I'd wonder how many stone weapons would be able to "break" metal armor. Yes, it's sharp, but very brittle. Armor grade metals should be able to withstand it

Also, until invaders start wearing full body armor, they can still be hacked to death with obsidian blades. Pity that the dwarf AI doesn't go for limbs, though.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 03:59:26 pm »

All ye who would mock my idea for its ignorance and lack of basis in real life:
1. Adamantine
2. Dwarfs

;-)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 04:02:29 pm »

All those who feel the need for more and better obsidian swords (and armor) raise your right hands...

Armor is absolutely impractical, but you could mod in a new stone-only sword with better stats to balance it's crappy material. Like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macuahuitl

Do it without stab attacks, that way they'll slash more, using the awesome MAXEDGE.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 04:04:54 pm by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 04:12:11 pm »

@tirion as for your impractical remark I refer you to my post above. I like the Aztec reference though especially as  I have just finished (slightly daft) Aztec novel.

Joking aside forget practicality briefly on the basis this is a fantasy game however strong it's geology credentials. Forget my craving for semi magical armour. From a gameplay perspective I think it would be very awesome to have a decent weapon and armour option on maps where iron does no show up and external trade impractical?

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 07:24:33 pm »

FYI, there is a bug report covering this issue:

Bug #5346: Obsidian swords always blunt

Obsidian swords made at the craftdwarf's workshop can't inflict slashing damage, instead acting like blunt clubs. In comparison, even elf wooden swords can cut skin.

The reason this happens is because obsidian uses the default stone template values for combat cutting calculations: [SHEAR_YIELD:15000] used marble
 Wood has:[SHEAR_YIELD:40000] used pine
 Skin/muscle have:[SHEAR_YIELD:20000] used human skin
 Bone/nails/claws/teeth have: [SHEAR_YIELD:115000]

As a result, teeth and wood can cut you, but blades of volcanic glass don't.

I'd recommend setting obsidian to use the shear values similar to glass in order to make swords work as intended.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 11:58:57 pm »

From a gameplay perspective I think it would be very awesome to have a decent weapon and armour option on maps where iron does no show up and external trade impractical?

Not a good enough reason.  The material system is robust as it is specifically to prevent dwarves making rock swords that are superior to actual metal.  That would be silly.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 03:18:00 am »

Thanks for pointing out the bug HiEv. That makes sense of my experience... Hope it gets fixed in Toady One's current bug hunt.

As for you naysayers arguing reality in this FANTASY game... I am heading off in a strop to go mine some adamantine so I can carve up some zombies, necromancers and mega beasts! ;-p
Pages: [1] 2