Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bored, how to get more FUN?  (Read 3951 times)

Yuuzhan

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Secretive Dwarf
    • View Profile
Bored, how to get more FUN?
« on: May 22, 2012, 05:27:09 am »

I've set my fortress up and running.

Dorfs have lots of booze and mushrooms, they are mostly happy or ecstatic (excluding few miserable children who little tantrum from time to time), masons are contructing outside wall, and floor the barracs.
Ten dwarves are in military training (in a year their stats didn't raised, unfortunately), several miners are looking for iron or valuable metals (got only tons of galena, what resulted in lead lead tracks, lead minecarts, some cheap lead furniture and silver statues + few silver warhammers).

Over 120 dorfs, over 20 children (thanks, thieves, for snatching some!), no ambushes, no fun, no !!FUN!!.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bored, how to get more FUN?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 06:49:35 am »

Dig up as much candy as you possibly can.  I guarantee plenty of fun.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 07:47:35 am »

Hell, it sounds like you haven't even dug down to the caverns!
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Yuuzhan

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Secretive Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 08:01:19 am »

This time, not yet. However two last fortresses found there almost nothing of fun. Do I have a bad luck, or just not enough wealth to summon fun? ;-)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 08:38:39 am »

Things to do:

Setup a Hunting outspost in the caverns (bonus points if 3'rd layer)
Dig up the bluesteel.
Magma elven traders utilising a needlessly complicated mechanism.
Buy 2 cats.
Find a way of killing all the cats.
Build a arbital water cannon (magma is overdone).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 09:14:28 am »

Might be inaccessible to Goblin siegers where you are. Are you on an island or somewhere separated from the Goblins or other races? You'll never find anyone if that happens to be the case. That or you might have sieges or ambushes turned off by accident.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 09:27:54 am »

Separate your fortress to 6 subforts, each 4 z-levels high consisting of 20 dwarves each. Do this in such a way that you can expand  to more subforts once more migrants come. I'm sure you have trader migrants outside doing nothing right? Once your subforts are all self sustaining and independent of each other, start up a loyalty cascade. All your subforts are now at war with each other. Have fun.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 03:22:56 pm »

This time, not yet. However two last fortresses found there almost nothing of fun. Do I have a bad luck, or just not enough wealth to summon fun? ;-)
You've been apathetic about the fun.

Dig more.

Everywhere.

Tunnels everywhere, all leading into your fort.

From everywhere.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 04:31:16 pm »

Separate your fortress to 6 subforts, each 4 z-levels high consisting of 20 dwarves each. Do this in such a way that you can expand  to more subforts once more migrants come. I'm sure you have trader migrants outside doing nothing right? Once your subforts are all self sustaining and independent of each other, start up a loyalty cascade. All your subforts are now at war with each other. Have fun.
I'm so going to try that. sounds like so much fun  ;D.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 11:14:48 pm »

I've been considering splitting a fortress with burrows. I'd start out a two rather than six, though.

I was thinking of a prison scenario - the least useful migrants (or however you want to determine the prisoner class) get shoved down into the first cavern layer where they have to fend for themselves, while the rest of the dwarves live near the surface in relative safety.

Yuuzhan

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Secretive Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 02:24:39 am »

I am still digging, haven't got much to play ;-)

However, I also thought about splitting the fortress - for example, define ten dwarves for farming and distilling, separate them, shut the doors, and make them from time to time push minecart with food and booze ;-)

I also discovered that dorfs that are 'competent' and/or adept in swords happily got spears equipped and axe-dorfs were trying their hammering skills. Of course, their 'main' were rusting ;-)

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 05:06:52 am »

Find the caverns. When you do, dig a five-wide spiral ramp down to them (for traders to bring caravans).  Then find a point in the cavern wall that's suitably far from your ramp and build a new fortress entrance there.  Migrate all of your existing stuff into the new fortress.  Build a nice trade depot just outside/inside the entrance and create a lovely road from the ramp to the depot.

Now watch as traders, caravans, migrants (and hilariously thieves and sieges) have to run a gauntlet of troglodytes, animalmen, giant spiders etc.  And you might get some slightly nastier visitors that will test your military......
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 01:54:10 am »

Set up a statue garden outside and party hard. Wait till goblins join you.

clarithium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 10:42:41 am »

Find magma. Find a way to bring it into your fort for forging.
Make a gladiator pit.
Make a few execution chambers.
Pave roads across the map.
Extend your fortress to above ground, and make towers and stuff.
Make an aqueduct if you have a river.
Etc!

Read these pages for inspiration :
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Stupid_dwarf_trick
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Megaproject

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 11:39:01 am »

Do what i did and drop your dining hall crashing through the rest of your fortress :D
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.
Pages: [1] 2