Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 682498 times)

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #5505 on: June 22, 2024, 07:16:08 pm »

(Not sure where else to ask this)
Is it possible to have a tundra that has vegetation but no snow? A rainfall of 0 results in no snow but also no vegetation.

Okay found the answer, even a rainfall of 1 results in snow on the ground, I guess a tundra with plants but no snow is impossible.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 10:39:48 am by aSpatula66 »

Haiphong

• Bay Watcher
  • I... Wot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5506 on: June 24, 2024, 08:47:50 pm »

I'm sorry if this has been asked a lot, I tried looking and didn't find anything yet.

I'm trying to make domestic "pets" (or "exotic_pets") that can do labor and use equipment. Like Trolls are for Goblins I think. Even able to petition for citizenship, is okay if you can't assign them duties until then.

But I don't want them to increase the Population, which as I understand adding "intelligent" does that.

Can someone help me understand, is what I'm trying to do possible?

Ideally I'd do it to the Plump Helmet Men, maybe add War_Trainable to them so I can take them on field trips with me.

Thanks if anyone can help!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: June 30, 2024, 05:46:41 am »

I'm sorry if this has been asked a lot, I tried looking and didn't find anything yet.

I'm trying to make domestic "pets" (or "exotic_pets") that can do labor and use equipment. Like Trolls are for Goblins I think. Even able to petition for citizenship, is okay if you can't assign them duties until then.

But I don't want them to increase the Population, which as I understand adding "intelligent" does that.

Can someone help me understand, is what I'm trying to do possible?

Ideally I'd do it to the Plump Helmet Men, maybe add War_Trainable to them so I can take them on field trips with me.

Thanks if anyone can help!

You're asking for two seperate things from a modding point of view

- Intelligent pets from Embark attached to your civ can be done via [ANIMAL] tokens (with atleast 1 role), and on the creature file itself [PET] will give it professions, while [PET_EXOTIC] will skip that part.

- Getting them to 'work' and do squadstuff in 50.12 is not supported, and would probably need third party tools. Even in 47.05 which is the version i recommend you try these types of modifications in, its not UI friendly because it is unintended. Squadstuff is almost impossible in 50.12, because the UI changed.

If all you want to do is make plump helmet men war trainable for fort mode, you need to add war training to the creature to make that accessible in fortressmode, and add the [ANIMAL] arguement with the plump helmet mans creaturename (not castename, castes can be defined seperately) to the civilization you intend to play.

The ANIMAL is just a override, the game will tell the AI to use it however its told to, even if the creature tokens don't match.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2024, 05:54:47 am by FantasticDorf »

Haiphong

• Bay Watcher
  • I... Wot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: July 01, 2024, 01:04:35 pm »

You're asking for two seperate things from a modding point of view

- Intelligent pets from Embark attached to your civ can be done via [ANIMAL] tokens (with atleast 1 role), and on the creature file itself [PET] will give it professions, while [PET_EXOTIC] will skip that part.

- Getting them to 'work' and do squadstuff in 50.12 is not supported, and would probably need third party tools. Even in 47.05 which is the version i recommend you try these types of modifications in, its not UI friendly because it is unintended. Squadstuff is almost impossible in 50.12, because the UI changed.

If all you want to do is make plump helmet men war trainable for fort mode, you need to add war training to the creature to make that accessible in fortressmode, and add the [ANIMAL] arguement with the plump helmet mans creaturename (not castename, castes can be defined seperately) to the civilization you intend to play.

The ANIMAL is just a override, the game will tell the AI to use it however its told to, even if the creature tokens don't match.

Thanks for the answer, friend c:

Since posting that, I've learned a whole lot about creature modding and the game in general.
It feels like a silly question going back and reading it now, lol.

They do now accompany me on suicide missions, but I don't know if I ever got them to pick up a weapon properly.

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: July 13, 2024, 11:51:16 pm »

Do civilizations HAVE to have outdoor farming and not just indoor? I want to make my edited kobolds exclusively use subterranean crops, but every world is getting the 'Placed farming entity without non-orchard crops' rejection. If I add OUTDOOR_FARMING, worlds are able to generate.

(using the tokens INDOOR_FARMING and INDOOR_GARDENS (apparently the latter doesn't ever cause rejections though?))
« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 12:04:21 am by ChaosPotato »
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: July 14, 2024, 12:50:11 am »

Dwarves use the following tokens:
Code: [Select]
[INDOOR_FARMING]
[OUTDOOR_GARDENS]
[INDOOR_GARDENS]

OUTDOOR_GARDENS gives dwarves access to fruit, but I'm not sure why your kobolds are bugging out considering all of the vanilla cave crops have edible structural materials. Is their start biome limited to mountains?
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbols • Miscellany • Graphics resources • Pseudo-ASCII

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: July 14, 2024, 01:47:19 am »

[INDOOR_FARMING]
[OUTDOOR_GARDENS]
[INDOOR_GARDENS]

OUTDOOR_GARDENS gives dwarves access to fruit, but I'm not sure why your kobolds are bugging out considering all of the vanilla cave crops have edible structural materials. Is their start biome limited to mountains?
They CAN start in mountains (they weren't spawning at all before I added mountains??? but I also let them spawn other places), but they can also start everywhere else that isn't water, glacier, or tundra. I'll try removing mountains and see if that lets me remove OUTDOOR_FARMING.
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: July 14, 2024, 02:23:05 am »

[INDOOR_FARMING]
[OUTDOOR_GARDENS]
[INDOOR_GARDENS]

They CAN start in mountains (they weren't spawning at all before I added mountains??? but I also let them spawn other places), but they can also start everywhere else that isn't water, glacier, or tundra. I'll try removing mountains and see if that lets me remove OUTDOOR_FARMING.
Update: The worldgen rejections still happen if I remove their ability to spawn in mountains.

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5513 on: July 16, 2024, 11:16:34 pm »

(edited, moved to the other modding questions thread. this was unrelated to what I was asking befor.e)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: July 27, 2024, 12:48:43 pm »

How are the ratios in [POP_RATIO] calculated? I would like to know as a ratio of 0 doesn't prevents a caste from appearing. Which is weird.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: July 27, 2024, 07:24:15 pm »

you cant zero-out the pop ratios, it needs a valid number.

Iirc, it selects castes at random based on the pop ratio values defined in the raws, creating a ratio of castes based on those values, it probably defaults to 1 if none are defined or if you used 0. If its two castes with no ratios defined that'll be 1:1, so each caste is equally likely. If its four castes with none defined that would be 1:1:1:1, so again equally likely to be any of the four. If you define four castes but give the first two a pop_ratio value of 100 and the last two a value of 1, you'd get a distribution of 100:100:1:1, so the first two castes are 100 times more likely to appear than the latter two.

If you don't want a caste to appear at all, you cant do that. But you can make them exceedingly rare, like setting the castes you want to appear to values like 100000 and the ones you dont want to appear to 1, and then you'll see a hundred thousand times as many of the one caste generated compared to the other.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5516 on: July 29, 2024, 11:02:51 am »

How does the [POPULATION_NUMBER] token work? Does it control the total amount of creatures present on the map? Does it control the amount of creatures within an embark tile? Do the populations regenerate overtime? Sometimes my modded creature seems to be in the thousands and other time it’s only in the fifties.
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: July 29, 2024, 11:19:17 am »

It controls the population of a creature in a given world map tile of a region (according to the wiki), and it doesn't repopulate properly as of 47.05. Not sure if it does in 50.11, but I don't recall seeing anything about the bug(s) being patched.

Exact pops of a creature in a world can vary enormously, just depending on which creatures from all available options the game decides to use for each region. A higher FREQUENCY value can make the creature more likely to be chosen and show up in play.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #5518 on: August 03, 2024, 11:47:38 am »

Quick question about adventure mode interactions used by the player, I have a creature who in fortress mode works perfectly and in adventure mode works perfectly when controlled by the computer, but when the creature is the player the interactions are not working ??

Example:on attack summon one monster,
computer opponents summon a monster, while the player does not, I noticed adventure mode is a little different in the current build so maybe it's a bug ?

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: August 04, 2024, 03:56:55 pm »

(Quoted and replied to the wrong person, I'm an idiot. I apologize if this post caused confusion or annoyance to any of you.)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 11:58:32 am by Urist Mchateselves »
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 372