Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 682672 times)

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #5340 on: September 19, 2023, 01:14:00 pm »

Just noticed that rotting creatures that are in cages don't ever seem to die from what's making them rot effectively turning the cage into a miasma emitter that you can move around

I'm still watching this cage to see if any thing does die but so far it doesn't seem like it's gonna happen 😂

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5341 on: September 25, 2023, 09:49:47 am »

Wy is [MEANDERER] a problem in pathfinding? I've read this on the wiki. It says: walks slowly around except when doing a job. Isn't just anything a job? getting a drink, attacking an enemy, crafting a thingus.
So when exacly is this a problem?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5342 on: September 25, 2023, 02:22:40 pm »

When they're walking between points while not hauling an item. They're extremely slow, less than 1/4 the speed of normal creatures. When they're hauling an item they speed up, but when walking to the item to haul they take forever.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5343 on: September 25, 2023, 05:29:26 pm »

When creating an Entity's landholder positions, do the trigger tokens still function or are they completely removed?

Also, can a site in worldgen have both a Tier 1 landholder AND a Tier 2, or must they always replace? For instance, I was trying to make a civ that has elected T1s at every site, and then the appointed T2s are replaced by appointed T3s. However I've never actually seen anything above T1 unless I add the replaced_by token. Is that just the way it works or am I unlucky?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 05:31:00 pm by Poldon »

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5344 on: September 26, 2023, 05:33:03 am »

do both Tier1 and Tier2 need to be landholder? It would probably work better, if only one of them is. You can split their responsibilities, for example
Tier1: MeetWorkers, meetdiplomats
Tier2 / 3: Landowner

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5345 on: September 26, 2023, 08:40:19 am »

Well yeah, I was going to give them very different functions and responsibilities, the T1s were elected and would be more inward leadership with things like law-making and meeting workers, and the T2/T3s being appointed and more just outward military leaders. The ruler would be succeeded by one of the T1s, as it wasn't a military ruler. But it seems that T2s never show up if the T1s aren't replaced by them... unless I'm just unlucky. And landholders are the only way to ensure leaders scale with the civilization...

So for now I've split the idea in a compromise. The original function of the T1s is now an elected Site noble that requires a major site, and the T1 is a sort of seat filler until replaced by T2.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: September 26, 2023, 12:30:43 pm »

Chech out the druid-acolyte relationship. You might find it interesting

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5347 on: September 26, 2023, 12:52:10 pm »

I am familiar with it, and it is not far off the kind of thing I want to do... however the problem I'm running into I'm pretty sure they don't run into because they're not landholders. It seems that the game won't allow more than one landholder per holding, even if different tiers. So I cannot, as I would like, have both a T1 AND a T2, or a T1 AND a T3.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: September 26, 2023, 04:37:39 pm »

When creating an Entity's landholder positions, do the trigger tokens still function or are they completely removed?

Also, can a site in worldgen have both a Tier 1 landholder AND a Tier 2, or must they always replace? For instance, I was trying to make a civ that has elected T1s at every site, and then the appointed T2s are replaced by appointed T3s. However I've never actually seen anything above T1 unless I add the replaced_by token. Is that just the way it works or am I unlucky?

Trigger tokens are now 1-9 instead of specific values and the values that correspond to each of those tiers is adjustable in the difficulty settings

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5349 on: September 26, 2023, 04:41:31 pm »

Trigger tokens are now 1-9 instead of specific values and the values that correspond to each of those tiers is adjustable in the difficulty settings

Right, they're all per-save now, but that means I can't have them be different per-entity anymore, right? I can't define them in the entity so one civ might have lower or higher requirements than another?

Also am I correct in that there cannot be multiple landholders even of different tiers for the same land?

Overdriven

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5350 on: September 27, 2023, 04:43:30 pm »

Hey Urists! Can you please help a newbie modder? I've just started tinkering in DF's files and wanted to figure out first how to modify dwarf appearance. Let's say I want to make every dwarf clean-shaven, but only one of the castes, how would I do it? Something like this in `creature_standard.txt` has no effect:
Code: [Select]
[CASTE:MALE]
    [MALE]
    [SET_BP_GROUP:BY_TYPE:LOWERBODY][BP_ADD_TYPE:GELDABLE]
    [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS]
    [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:HAIR]
        [TS_PREFERRED_SHAPING:CLEAN_SHAVEN]

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5351 on: September 27, 2023, 05:36:46 pm »

Hey Urists! Can you please help a newbie modder? I've just started tinkering in DF's files and wanted to figure out first how to modify dwarf appearance. Let's say I want to make every dwarf clean-shaven, but only one of the castes, how would I do it? Something like this in `creature_standard.txt` has no effect:
Code: [Select]
[CASTE:MALE]
    [MALE]
    [SET_BP_GROUP:BY_TYPE:LOWERBODY][BP_ADD_TYPE:GELDABLE]
    [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS]
    [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:HAIR]
        [TS_PREFERRED_SHAPING:CLEAN_SHAVEN]

That would be because tissue styling is done in the entity, not the creature. Basically it's a cultural thing, not something inherent to the creature. If you look in the Mountain entity you can find the tissue styling commands, which point to the templates dwarves actually use.

If you're ever modding and unsure if you did something wrong, always check the errorlog! It's actually quite useful and will usually say when commands aren't working for some reason.

Overdriven

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: September 27, 2023, 06:07:57 pm »

So...it's not possible?

I know how to do it in the entity, but I need to do it in the creature, because I want to specify it only for a specific caste. Is it possible to define castes in entities? Or is there any other way to style a tissue in the entity for a specific caste?

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: September 27, 2023, 10:24:26 pm »

So...it's not possible?

I know how to do it in the entity, but I need to do it in the creature, because I want to specify it only for a specific caste. Is it possible to define castes in entities? Or is there any other way to style a tissue in the entity for a specific caste?

Looks like you can't specify a caste, no, but I can think of one way to get around that pretty easily. Since it wants the name of a tissue layer, just give males a different token name for the tissue per-caste. Like HAIR_MALE or something, and then use the styling on that.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: September 28, 2023, 02:46:56 am »

Thats a clever solution by the way :-)

So as this is the thread for Entity questions:
* If a monarch has [NUMBER:MORE_THAN_ONE], there should be multiple monarchs, I quess. Will they all arive when you become the mountainhome? or only one?
* If you are the mountainhome, can you as the player replace the current duke/count/baron? since they are APOINTED_BY the monarch?
* can the title 'mountainhome'  be changed?
* can a civ-level position be [ELECTED]? What is the effect?
* if a [NUMBER:LESS] position is replaced by a [NUMBER:MORE] position, will the current holders retain their upgraded postion, or will the all be replaced?
* If a postion is APOINTED_BY a diplomat, will the player be able to replace said position, when the diplomat is visiting the fortress? or only when the diplomat becomes a citizen?
* If a monarch arrives at the your fortress, be brings an 'entourage', with consist among other of a 'royal guard' with high level weapon skills. Can this be modded?
* Do other civ-level postion holders also arive as the monarch arives? For example generals and outpost liasons? or my modded ministers?
* what is the effect of adding other [ EXECUTION_SKILL] tokens to non-executioner-positions? Will this skill be preferred for candidates for said postion? like broker and accountant also use appropriate skills?
* Do elections only favor social skills, or do other nescesarry skills play a role? If i have an elected bookkeeper, will he just be chatty and not good at bookkeeping?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 10:13:02 am by joostheger »
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 372