Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 [356] 357 358 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 682721 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #5325 on: September 10, 2023, 09:15:54 pm »

You probably forgot to change the creatures ID string when duplicating it, at least once. That will make the world really wonky too with creatures showing up where they shouldn't, like forgotten beasts as pets or civs of dogs.

You don't need multiple copies of a creature, or higher cluster number or population size to make it show up more often, just give it a FREQUENCY token with a high number like 75 or 80 and it will be present in more biomes available to it and more likely to spawn as a roaming animal group.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #5326 on: September 10, 2023, 09:42:24 pm »

You probably forgot to change the creatures ID string when duplicating it, at least once. That will make the world really wonky too with creatures showing up where they shouldn't, like forgotten beasts as pets or civs of dogs.

You don't need multiple copies of a creature, or higher cluster number or population size to make it show up more often, just give it a FREQUENCY token with a high number like 75 or 80 and it will be present in more biomes available to it and more likely to spawn as a roaming animal group.

To be clear they are 5 different monsters
And the error is Duplicate object:creature name

Yes I'm getting forgotten beast civs sometimes
This must be the problem I'll have to track it down
My mod is getting pretty complex atm loosing track of somethings 🤤

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5327 on: September 11, 2023, 05:03:41 am »

Is it possible to create a ghost-like creature?
- it is invincable
- it can move everywhere
- it does not hinder any movement
- it can only be targeted by special interactions, and do special interactions itself.
- otherwise no interactions are possible, in any way,
- it could be invisible

it just is there, hovering around.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #5328 on: September 11, 2023, 07:47:42 am »

- it is invincable
- it can move everywhere
- it can only be targeted by special interactions, and do special interactions itself.
- it could be invisible

I want to say yes to everything except maybe the invisibility part and the special interaction Target part but everything else I think you can do

as for the invisibility you could just assign the creature a transparent png graphic

I could be wrong though 😎on the target/invisible part idk

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5329 on: September 11, 2023, 07:53:50 am »

Is there a example to use?
I couldn't find ghost-raws. I suppose thats because the ghost state cannot be set by raws.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5330 on: September 11, 2023, 11:14:32 am »

- it is invincable
- it can move everywhere
- it could be invisible

Closest I can think of is to make the creature a vermin with no max age. It wouldn't be invulnerable though (e.g., cats and other vermin hunters), and I'm not sure what kind of weirdness interactions with vermin might have.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #5331 on: September 11, 2023, 02:37:11 pm »

Is there a example to use?
I couldn't find ghost-raws. I suppose thats because the ghost state cannot be set by raws.
You just have to make a creature that's made from a material that makes it invincible if that makes any sense I can make up a sample later when I got time
 I got a creature that it body takes damage but never dies if it does die it takes a lot of damage to kill it then

use this knowledge at your owns dwarfs peril :D
this is the soul of the beast :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
the body of the beast
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5332 on: September 11, 2023, 02:49:53 pm »

Yeah, I found invincible phantoms weren't a great idea, theyll just keep beating dwarves to death an can end a fort on their own, it's better to make them vulnerable to something, even if they have a high material force resistance to most materials, and give them the ability to regenerate every few days. Maybe a highly elastic material instead of just a hard one. I was also just thinking about giving them a heart like organ that contains all their blood/ectoplasm, but is made of invincible material that rots or melts once the creature dies so it doesn't leave anything behind. (Or use an item corpse of a material that boils away, and make their blood boil at room temperature too so it doesnt leave goo behind) Since that's the only organ containing blood, they can't normally be killed by bleeding, but if targeted by an interaction/syndrome that causes bleeding you can make a "banish spirit" interaction that can be used to quickly bleed them to death.

Also aradar, your issue with forgotten beast civs is almost certainly because you didn't give your creatures unique IDs. When. You define a new creature, with [CREATURE:(ID string)], that ID string must be unique or youll get duplication bugs and error messages.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 02:56:33 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #5333 on: September 11, 2023, 03:09:13 pm »

Yeah, I found invincible phantoms weren't a great idea, theyll just keep beating dwarves to death an can end a fort on their own, it's better to make them vulnerable to something, even if they have a high material force resistance to most materials, and give them the ability to regenerate every few days. Maybe a highly elastic material instead of just a hard one. I was also just thinking about giving them a heart like organ that contains all their blood/ectoplasm, but is made of invincible material that rots or melts once the creature dies so it doesn't leave anything behind. (Or use an item corpse of a material that boils away, and make their blood boil at room temperature too so it doesnt leave goo behind) Since that's the only organ containing blood, they can't normally be killed by bleeding, but if targeted by an interaction/syndrome that causes bleeding you can make a "banish spirit" interaction that can be used to quickly bleed them to death.

Also aradar, your issue with forgotten beast civs is almost certainly because you didn't give your creatures unique IDs. When. You define a new creature, with [CREATURE:(ID string)], that ID string must be unique or youll get duplication bugs and error messages.
thats the part that kills me it is a unique creature there is only one lol there is one other but the id is completely different i must have left something lingering from a cut and paste :( im still looking for it, it has to stem from when i did a megabeast overhaul and converted a lot of megabeast into normal varients  i missed something

I renamed the creature causing the error and what do you know the problem is gone

there was only one creature with that creature Id

I still don't know why it was causing the error lol
Can duplicate errors be caused by creature graphics?
I was letting the creatures share a tile page but maybe you can't do this?? Or shouldn't rather do it lol

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5334 on: September 15, 2023, 10:20:07 am »

Sigh...

It seems that vermin hunted by cat-hunts_vermin also dont apply syndromes to the hunter.. either method.. I also tried ginving my cats special_atack_suck_blood with a syndrome placed on the vermins blood but even then no syndrome is applied..

up to my next idea: animating vermin remains.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5335 on: September 15, 2023, 04:43:48 pm »

I'm pretty sure vermin remains aren't a valid target for animation. And no, blood sucking cats won't suck the blood of vermin because their hunting behavior isn't actually attached to their attacks as a creature. They just run up and transform the "live" vermin item into a "remains" item.
I make Spellcrafts!

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5336 on: September 16, 2023, 04:05:08 am »

Ok. Wel the whole point is to make my creatures know which season it is. Any ideas?

Now iam thinking about giving a lot of non vermin birds an interaction which do target my 'cats'. And modfing these birds with no_winter and such

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5337 on: September 16, 2023, 10:26:40 pm »

I can't think of any easy or reliable way to do that, unfortunately.
I make Spellcrafts!

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5338 on: September 17, 2023, 03:23:02 pm »

well, even scuba divers don't "walk" into water, they jump into. What about dumping your dwarves into the magma? With no way out?
did you gave them magma_vision? otherwise they just might have been blinded

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #5339 on: September 19, 2023, 08:11:43 am »

well, even scuba divers don't "walk" into water, they jump into. What about dumping your dwarves into the magma? With no way out?
did you gave them magma_vision? otherwise they just might have been blinded
Yes everything was good to go,

Putnam said earlier in this post that it's just an impossible idea liquid mechanics just won't support it
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 [356] 357 358 ... 372