Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 682778 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #5295 on: September 04, 2023, 02:28:08 am »

I guess thats al relating to pet-trauma. A summoned creature is seen as a pet of the summoner. And vanishing is probably like dying. Maybe theres a personallity tied to this trauma. Then you could nerve this trait down
Tweak their vulnerability to stress[PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILTY:0:0:0]it's in the creature raw- 0:0:0 they won't stress over stuff or use [noemotion] tag it makes them pretty soulless like
Thanks! I guess for a more elegant solution I can make it a temporary personality change syndrome that's the same as the summon's duration. Maybe flavor it as "part of your soul is split away to the creature".
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: September 04, 2023, 03:50:45 am »

I spawned some cats in arena mode and they sort of just stood around, not exploring much at all.  If there is a token that controls how cats work, I think you're right.

What I often do, is copy an existing creature until I got it right.

Have you had this problem too?
not exactly this, but similar

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: September 04, 2023, 04:03:00 am »

I guess thats al relating to pet-trauma. A summoned creature is seen as a pet of the summoner. And vanishing is probably like dying. Maybe theres a personallity tied to this trauma. Then you could nerve this trait down
Tweak their vulnerability to stress[PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILTY:0:0:0]it's in the creature raw- 0:0:0 they won't stress over stuff or use [noemotion] tag it makes them pretty soulless like
Thanks! I guess for a more elegant solution I can make it a temporary personality change syndrome that's the same as the summon's duration. Maybe flavor it as "part of your soul is split away to the creature".
Update: Stress vulnerability doesn't help, they don't get a negative thought but they still get the trauma.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: September 04, 2023, 04:43:43 am »

That part may be unavoidable until they stop caring about things. You could blind them temporarily for the period the creature should disappear in, then they may not notice unless they're adjacent to them.

I have been trying to learn modding for Dwarf Fortress.  I'm on .47.05 still, and whenever I add a new creature said creature in the object testing arena has no tile.  Everything else about them seems to work, but their icon is blank.

I do something like this:

[CREATURE:FELL_OW]
[CREATURE_TILE:'n'][COLOR:3:0:0]
[CREATURE_SOLDIER_TILE:164]

and instead of an n there is just a blank, black tile where they are standing.  Is this a common issue for beginners, and what am I doing wrong?

I cant think of any reason off the top of my head besides maybe there being a second creature_tile tag in the definition that is empty, or a second color tag that is set to 0:0:0 or empty. You could also try setting a caste tile and caste color at the creature level, or at the caste level.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: September 04, 2023, 05:02:24 am »

That part may be unavoidable until they stop caring about things. You could blind them temporarily for the period the creature should disappear in, then they may not notice unless they're adjacent to them.
good idea.
Or make them NOEMOTION during the disposal

Doren I

• Bay Watcher
  • The crown of Stars really makes the outfit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: September 04, 2023, 10:00:55 am »

Does the error log say anything curious ?

The error log says
*** Error(s) finalizing creature FELLOW
Unrecognized Color Token: 1

My creature is just a copy-paste human with a different creature tile token, so that it's supposed to have an "n" instead of a "u", but instead it has nothing.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 10:03:47 am by Doren I »

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #5301 on: September 04, 2023, 10:09:39 am »

Hmmm I'm not super sure hmmm did you copy every thing ? You might have missed something looks kinda like something isn't referenced right "unrecognized"

Doing a bit of graphic modding myself now sometimes you might want to recheck your raw against a newly generated world I had creature graphics I was trying to change during an already loaded world I regen the world and everything worked perfectly

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: September 04, 2023, 08:17:47 pm »

I have been trying to learn modding for Dwarf Fortress.  I'm on .47.05 still, and whenever I add a new creature said creature in the object testing arena has no tile.  Everything else about them seems to work, but their icon is blank.

I do something like this:

[CREATURE:FELL_OW]
[CREATURE_TILE:'n'][COLOR:3:0:0]
[CREATURE_SOLDIER_TILE:164]

and instead of an n there is just a blank, black tile where they are standing.  Is this a common issue for beginners, and what am I doing wrong?

if you have GRAPHICS set to YES (which you will if you have e.g. TWBT installed) then it might be trying to get a graphical tile for the creature instead of using the ASCII tile

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: September 04, 2023, 08:54:16 pm »

I wish there was a "moddability mini-arc" before the Big Wait. Like, open up more things to raws (maybe make CE_ADD_TAG allow all tokens instead of just a small list, among other things), allow sites to be more customizable, or even have integrated scripting. But even the former two would give modders a fuckton of mileage.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #5304 on: September 04, 2023, 10:53:03 pm »

I wish there was a "moddability mini-arc" before the Big Wait. Like, open up more things to raws (maybe make CE_ADD_TAG allow all tokens instead of just a small list, among other things), allow sites to be more customizable, or even have integrated scripting. But even the former two would give modders a fuckton of mileage.

I know what you mean I'm baffled sometimes at what's hardcoded and what's exposed to modding.

DF is easier to mod than other stuff ive seen, its complex only because there's so much documentation and trial and error to go through.

At least you don't have to compile .dll files like rimworld lol, so far I've just focused on figuring out what the game cant do mod wise first then approach what I can do.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: September 04, 2023, 11:00:47 pm »

I mostly really want customizable sites. e.g giving my gnolls primitive huts around a campfire instead of cities. Or clusters of burrows for my foxfolk. Things like that.

Might be a pain to make RAW-able which I guess is part of the reason site modding is lackluster to say the least rn.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: September 05, 2023, 03:06:25 am »

I mostly really want customizable sites. e.g giving my gnolls primitive huts around a campfire instead of cities. Or clusters of burrows for my foxfolk. Things like that.

Might be a pain to make RAW-able which I guess is part of the reason site modding is lackluster to say the least rn.

Just a wishlist at the moment, sites are entirely off limits because of the limited scope of RAW tokens, I wish i could say otherwise but you'll have to wait for Toady to catch up on the roadplan, which is already probably going to happen after the map rewrite getting into laws and civilizations.

I think the steam workshop format not being great for detailed feedback compared to the forums, and the simultaneous orphaning of DFFD files in the 2022 database collapse generally lost a lot of good archival reference, and a few other things contributed to people not coming back to the modding community to either update their mods, or keep up the quality of new ones.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #5307 on: September 05, 2023, 03:55:50 am »

I'm using an interaction that uses [CDI:MATERIAL:INORGANIC:MYINORGANIC:SPATTER_LIQUID]
And the spatter is always orange no matter what I do
can you change spatter color ?

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: September 05, 2023, 03:59:50 am »

whats the definition of MYINORGANIC?
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 372