Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 682879 times)

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #5115 on: December 07, 2021, 02:42:49 am »

Is there any way to accomplish these things, or do I have no choice but to make a new BODY_DETAIL_PLAN/add the feathers (and hair) everywhere I need them manually?
As you've already discovered, there annoyingly isn't a token for removing tissue layers (REMOVE_TISSUE is for removing tissues, not tissue layers), or at least as far as I'm aware. If you don't want feathers on particular body parts, you have to forgo using the standard body plans and either make your own or manually add the layers within the creature definition (as someone who likes to avoid unnecessary files, I usually do the latter - it doesn't take a huge amount of time).

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: December 07, 2021, 03:16:45 am »

Hm, that's a shame. Well, thanks for the information (it's what I suspected, but was hoping to be wrong about).

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5117 on: December 07, 2021, 05:57:24 pm »

I'm having an issue where the hyper-aggressive race that is supposed to be dominating the world gets pummeled within the first decade of worldgen.  Probably because everyone unites against them.  How do I give them an edge?

Adding a GENERAL_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER and giving them better combat stats don't seem to help.  What factors are evaluated during worldgen battles?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: December 07, 2021, 07:24:59 pm »

Have you tried giving them tactical/leadership skills?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: December 08, 2021, 09:05:52 am »

No, they're kind of supposed to be dumb brutes that win through overwhelming numbers and strength, and are led by other, smarter races that are indoctrinated into their civ via babysnatching (still working on that)
I was hoping that worldgen battles would take their physical capability into account.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: December 08, 2021, 07:50:51 pm »

No, they're kind of supposed to be dumb brutes that win through overwhelming numbers and strength, and are led by other, smarter races that are indoctrinated into their civ via babysnatching (still working on that)
    I was hoping that worldgen battles would take their physical capability into account.

Though it might be true that size matters, in the unit to unit w.g calculations the leadership and miltactics put a buff onto everything they do to organize their army, and this also represents pretty heavily how vanilla elves can succeed with inferior wood weapon kit and rough-dwarf size to modify the outcome by throwing a unlimited array of animals (and a lot of elves) commanded by immortal princess-generals who only grow stronger as time goes on.

Physical brutes can win individual duels, as often the largest toughest megabeast invader to a site will utterly wreak mediocre defenders that challenge it in a gauntlet of 1v1 fights until it loses and runs out of suitable opponents.
    • Keeping in mind pre play wg and real-player time mission dispatch battles are calculated seperately to one another but under similar principles, in the latter there 'phases' indicated by the incident report, where squads will kill x amount of enemies/shoot enemies with pacing, wheras in the former, the input and outcome happen all at once with the detailed events.
    If you want to put a certain creature into noble leadership of a squad, you can use [ALLOWED_CREATURE:<token>:<caste>] and set the dumb citizens to [ALLOWED_CLASS:] to add them solely to the troop-pool, and use rejections to thin it down further like rejecting female dwarves from serving in the military (also weeds out animal/semi-intelligent recruits, to put into their proper war-animal/mount categories, this is unrestricted on vanilla df)[/list]
    • Also true, is that smaller creatures are implicitly better at not being caught in wg instances. Giant hunting elephants make excellent bodyguards but terrible cover-blowers as size works against them unless the militia-captain is *very* skilled and lucky so that the ranged-squad doesn't automatically surrender when caught to a morale loss of no melee troops/hunting animals being attached to the battle, and can buy time to shoot their way out of danger when caught.
    « Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 07:54:38 pm by FantasticDorf »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5121 on: December 12, 2021, 05:44:50 am »

A little confused about how land holder triggers work.
    My understanding is that they are based ONLY on how many external sites you have control over, regardless of how you get control over them, and the LAND_HOLDER-TRIGGER tags only mark points where external sites are automatically added.
    Does this mean that if an entity has no explicit triggers, but has land holder positions, those positions will only become available after the player has conquered a certain number of sites?

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5122 on: December 12, 2021, 07:33:59 am »

In my experience, it was quite hard to get land holders naturally over the first tier. A bunch of them generated for a civ, but they were all baron level. This might be prior to 47.01 though.

In any case, neither I managed to get them consistently. If anyone here knows how to ensure something regarding land owners, I too would be very glad to hear it out.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5123 on: December 12, 2021, 08:48:25 am »

In my experience, it was quite hard to get land holders naturally over the first tier. A bunch of them generated for a civ, but they were all baron level. This might be prior to 47.01 though.

In any case, neither I managed to get them consistently. If anyone here knows how to ensure something regarding land owners, I too would be very glad to hear it out.

I was talking about gameplay, not worldgen.
    I have seen a count or two; my guess is that the reason they are rare has to do with the way worldgen distributes populations across sites. Increasing the pop cap for sites might also play a part (but large population caps in fortresses can cause nightmarish slowdown in adventure mode, so I suggest trying it only with cities).

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5124 on: December 16, 2021, 07:41:13 am »

What position tags determine whether a noble can "recruit" an adventurer to become a soldier?
    I know they need a SQUAD but clearly something else is required.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • Accomplished RAW Engineer
      • View Profile
      • Steam
    « Reply #5125 on: December 16, 2021, 09:58:45 am »

LAW_ENFORCEMENT responsibility token.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5126 on: December 18, 2021, 01:07:28 pm »

Is there a way to get a creature to target allies with an interaction (for buffing purposes)?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
    • aka Mossbird
      • View Profile
      • my website
    « Reply #5127 on: December 19, 2021, 04:44:29 am »

Is there a way to get a creature to target allies with an interaction (for buffing purposes)?

Usage hint GREETING works out of combat.  Not sure if it applies while active in military or in combat.

Alternatively, assuming only one side has the ability, I reckon an in-combat buff could be simulated using two separate interactions. First, an invisible ATTACK interaction to flag enemies with a syndrome identifier with long duration.  Then, a DEFEND material emission to coat all nearby creatures in buff-juice, which only works on allies and neutrals because the enemies already have a syndrome with that identifier.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5128 on: December 19, 2021, 08:02:38 am »

How are summoned units supposed to behave? Whenever a creature is summoned by another in the arena, they seem to both fight each other, which isn't really what I want to happen (I want the summoned creature to be a minion of the summoner).

Usage hint GREETING works out of combat.  Not sure if it applies while active in military or in combat.

Alternatively, assuming only one side has the ability, I reckon an in-combat buff could be simulated using two separate interactions. First, an invisible ATTACK interaction to flag enemies with a syndrome identifier with long duration.  Then, a DEFEND material emission to coat all nearby creatures in buff-juice, which only works on allies and neutrals because the enemies already have a syndrome with that identifier.

Hm, I see. Thank you.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
      • Website
    « Reply #5129 on: December 19, 2021, 08:41:59 am »

How are summoned units supposed to behave? Whenever a creature is summoned by another in the arena, they seem to both fight each other, which isn't really what I want to happen (I want the summoned creature to be a minion of the summoner).

That is the purpose of IE_MAKE_PET_IF_POSSIBLE. Though iirc it doesn't work in the arena if the summoner is "independent" instead of on a set team.
    Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 372