Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 682877 times)

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #5100 on: December 01, 2021, 01:03:17 pm »

Is there anything wrong with this attack that I'm just not seeing?:
Code: [Select]
[ATTACK:PUNCH:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:ROD]
[ATTACK_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:whack:whacks]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
[ATTACK_FLAG_INDEPENDENT_MULTIATTACK]
This is the only attack I have for the creature other than a projectile reaction, but even if I disable that projectile, it never uses it in the logs as far as I can see; it instead always opts to "attack" or "push". It never actually says "whacks x with its seventh rod" for example.

I checked the errorlog and the creature does have the correct body parts, (I also see it get attacked in those parts) and they have tissues and all, but it still it never uses this attack, or if it does, it's not respecting the ATTACK_VERB and ATTACK_FLAG_WITH tokens.

I might be wrong, but I've understood that syndrome classes can't be used in syndromes to make a creature of said syndrome class immune to the syndrome. It is used in interactions (e.g., IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:<syndrome class>), like in raising undead lieutenants:

SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS and SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS on the other hand need a specific creature class (like CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON), which can't be given with a syndrome.

But if this is the case, why is it that my syndrome does not in fact seem to be getting applied multiple times? This isn't part of an interaction here, it's just a material.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #5101 on: December 01, 2021, 04:22:46 pm »

Is there anything wrong with this attack that I'm just not seeing?

it instead always opts to "attack" or "push".

I assume "attack" as in "attacks but [target] jumps away".  That's normal.  If it's something like "attacks [target] in the right upper leg" that'd be weird.

I can't see anything wrong with the attack.  How about the bodypart?  Does it have CATEGORY:ROD ?  It should look something like this:

[BODY:MY_MODDED_BODY]
[BP:MY_MODDED_BODYPART:rod:STP][CATEGORY:ROD]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:1000]

But if this is the case, why is it that my syndrome does not in fact seem to be getting applied multiple times? This isn't part of an interaction here, it's just a material.

Bob is right, the syndrome class is actually for interactions and not the syndrome itself as I erronously said.  The game can see when the exact same syndrome gets triggered twice, and automatically ignores the second time.  But there are several kinds of alcohol (I think only "plant based" and "mead" so far) on entirely separate materials, and each alcohol has the same SYN_IDENTIFIER so the game doesn't accidentally apply the alcohols separately.  Similarly, undead syndromes have the class so other interactions can react to that.

Honestly, it is not a particularly sane system and could've used a refactoring a while ago.  But here we are.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5102 on: December 01, 2021, 04:34:30 pm »

Is it possible to make a creature physically unable to use mounts?
Barring that, is it possible to ensure that a civ can have animals, but will never use them as mounts?  Does the ANIMAL token select all animals by default, or none of them?

EDIT: Apparently ANIMAL with no specifications targets all animals, and adding ANIMAL_NEVER_MOUNT will ensure that the entity never rides mounts event if they have access to them (though it will not prevent them from riding mounts if they join another entity). You can also prevent an entity from trading by applying ANIMAL_NEVER_WAGON_PULLER and ANIMAL_NEVER_PACK_ANIMAL to all animals.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: December 01, 2021, 04:52:11 pm »

I assume "attack" as in "attacks but [target] jumps away".  That's normal.  If it's something like "attacks [target] in the right upper leg" that'd be weird.

I can't see anything wrong with the attack.  How about the bodypart?  Does it have CATEGORY:ROD ?

I see you're right about the "attack"; whenever the attack actually lands, it uses "pushes [target] in the right upper leg" instead (incidentally, it seems to always either say "but there is no force" or "but the attack glances away", even against other members of the same species; it manages to bruise fire imps though).

Yeah, it does have an appropriate bodypart; twelve in fact:
    [BP:ROD1:first rod:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][CATEGORY:ROD]
        [DEFAULT_RELSIZE:125]
    [BP:ROD2:second rod:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][CATEGORY:ROD]
    [BP:ROD3:third rod:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][CATEGORY:ROD]
    [BP:ROD4:fourth rod:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][CATEGORY:ROD]
    [BP:ROD5:fifth rod:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][CATEGORY:ROD]
    [BP:ROD6:sixth rod:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][CATEGORY:ROD]
    [BP:ROD7:seventh rod:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][CATEGORY:ROD]
    [BP:ROD8:eighth rod:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][CATEGORY:ROD]
    [BP:ROD9:ninth rod:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][CATEGORY:ROD]
    [BP:ROD10:tenth rod:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][CATEGORY:ROD]
    [BP:ROD11:eleventh rod:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][CATEGORY:ROD]
    [BP:ROD12:twelfth rod:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][CATEGORY:ROD]
The only other body parts are BODY_HEAD:2EYES
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 04:54:36 pm by Mr_Crabman »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: December 02, 2021, 03:44:39 am »

I have discovered something interesting, and I would like to know why it happens.
Removing OUTDOOR_ORCHARDS from everyone makes the world SIGNIFICANTLY deadlier. More wars, more death, I think even more necrotowers. It makes the difference between one in 3 histfigs dying during worldgen and one in 2, consistently. I have no clue why.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: December 02, 2021, 04:23:57 am »

I have discovered something interesting, and I would like to know why it happens.
Removing OUTDOOR_ORCHARDS from everyone makes the world SIGNIFICANTLY deadlier. More wars, more death, I think even more necrotowers. It makes the difference between one in 3 histfigs dying during worldgen and one in 2, consistently. I have no clue why.

Starvation i suppose, orchards are a major contribution to the elf economy though they are by no means *herbivorous.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 12:51:23 pm by FantasticDorf »

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: December 03, 2021, 08:30:03 am »

That's rather fascinating, but how in the world did it occur to you to remove all the orchards  :P

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: December 04, 2021, 11:36:56 am »

That's rather fascinating, but how in the world did it occur to you to remove all the orchards  :P

I didn't - I added them in and found that there was a lot less dying.
If it's due to starvation it's kind of disappointing - I've been experimenting to make the most violent setting possible, within certain constraints (for the Fortal Kombat mod), using "deaths per histfig" during world generation as a quick test.  If the deaths have been due to starvation rather than war, that would be a downer.
(To be fair, there ARE a lot of wars.  But maybe they haven't been having the impact that I'd hoped.)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: December 04, 2021, 12:54:52 pm »

Does adding orchards to human site types crash the game? I just did that and now this happens.

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15763

1. make an adventurer in the Tomb of Contests
2. start in the hamlet of Crafthandle
3. go to the town directly north of Crafthandle
4. wander around the northwest orchard until the game crashes.

I am hoping it is not the orchard feature itself but it might be. On the other hand, the cacti which compose the orchard are behaving strangely and producing weird dust clouds, so I don't know what would cause that but it might be related. My cacti raws, which are just the saguaro with that word removed, look like this:

[PLANT:CACTUS]
[NAME:cactus][NAME_PLURAL:cacti][ADJ:cactus]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:2:0:0]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL][FREQUENCY:30]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WOOD:WOOD_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:cactus rib wood]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:cactus rib]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[SOLID_DENSITY:430]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:ECRU]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FLOWER:FLOWER_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL:WHITE]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:7:0:1]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FRUIT:FRUIT_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL:RED]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:4:0:1]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[STOCKPILE_PLANT_GROWTH]
[TREE:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:WOOD][TREE_TILE:198]
[TRUNK_PERIOD:10]
[HEAVY_BRANCH_DENSITY:50]
[BRANCH_DENSITY:0]
[MAX_TRUNK_HEIGHT:8]
[HEAVY_BRANCH_RADIUS:3]
[TRUNK_BRANCHING:0]
[MAX_TRUNK_DIAMETER:3]
[TRUNK_WIDTH_PERIOD:200]
[ROOT_DENSITY:5]
[ROOT_RADIUS:3]
[TWIGS_SIDE_BRANCHES:0]
[TWIGS_ABOVE_BRANCHES:0]
[STANDARD_TILE_NAMES]
[PREFSTRING:amazing arms]
[DRY]
[BIOME:ANY_DESERT]
*** night blooming
[GROWTH:FLOWERS]
[GROWTH_NAME:cactus flower:STP]
[GROWTH_ITEM:PLANT_GROWTH:NONE:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:FLOWER]
[GROWTH_DENSITY:1000]
[GROWTH_HOST_TILE:TRUNK]
[GROWTH_TIMING:30000:99999]
[GROWTH_PRINT:5:5:7:0:1:50000:119999:1]
[GROWTH:FRUIT]
[GROWTH_NAME:cactus fruit:cactus fruit]
[GROWTH_ITEM:PLANT_GROWTH:NONE:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:FRUIT]
[GROWTH_DENSITY:1000]
[GROWTH_HOST_TILE:TRUNK]
[GROWTH_TIMING:100000:300000]
[GROWTH_DROPS_OFF_NO_CLOUD]
[GROWTH_PRINT:0:7:4:0:1:NONE]
[GROWTH_HAS_SEED]

EDIT: I thought it was a duplicate raw bug but I fixed it and this is still happening so it seems to not be the case
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 12:43:53 am by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: December 06, 2021, 12:57:50 pm »

Is there any way to remove a specific tissue layer from a creature? I've tried using:

[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:FEATHER:BY_CATEGORY:HAND]
    [SET_LAYER_TISSUE:NONE]

[SET_LAYER_TISSUE:]

But neither of them works; the first gives an error about "NONE" not being a valid tissue and using the first tissue instead, and the second just silently fails to remove it (confirmed in the battle arena with fire imps; the feather layer is shown in the health menu as being burned).

I want to do this so that I can use [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_FEATHER_TISSUE_LAYERS] (and therefore not have to manually add all the feather layers myself), but with the difference that I don't want it on the hands or fingers (I left out the PLUS_SELECT for fingers for brevity). I have a similar need to remove the HAIR from the nose, cheeks, ears, and front of the head (ie the face) of a different creature.

Is there any way to accomplish these things, or do I have no choice but to make a new BODY_DETAIL_PLAN/add the feathers (and hair) everywhere I need them manually?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: December 06, 2021, 02:53:31 pm »

Is there any way to accomplish these things, or do I have no choice but to make a new BODY_DETAIL_PLAN/add the feathers (and hair) everywhere I need them manually?

A simple  [REMOVE_MATERIAL:<mat>] or [REMOVE_TISSUE:<tissue>] will do in the arguement before the addition, with the specific area select, then replace which in your case might look like [SET_LAYER_TISSUE:<type>:<template>] in the arguement. Specifically i used the BY_TOKEN:<then check body.txt for body token identifier> and by category interchangably to get specific limbs so i could cover one of my own creatures is a much denser custom strip of skin that was weak to high temperatures and thus very fire damageable.

[REMOVE_TISSUE:FEATHER] // important to note, apply the correct removal of material.
    [SET_LAYER_TISSUE:SKIN:SKIN_TEMPLATE]
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 02:56:09 pm by FantasticDorf »

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: December 06, 2021, 03:18:52 pm »

A simple  [REMOVE_MATERIAL:<mat>] or [REMOVE_TISSUE:<tissue>] will do in the arguement before the addition, with the specific area select, then replace which in your case might look like [SET_LAYER_TISSUE:<type>:<template>] in the arguement. Specifically i used the BY_TOKEN:<then check body.txt for body token identifier> and by category interchangably to get specific limbs so i could cover one of my own creatures is a much denser custom strip of skin that was weak to high temperatures and thus very fire damageable.

[REMOVE_TISSUE:FEATHER] // important to note, apply the correct removal of material.
    [SET_LAYER_TISSUE:SKIN:SKIN_TEMPLATE]

But I'm not trying to replace the feathers/hair; the creature already has skin there beneath the feathers and I'm only looking to have one layer of skin; and doesn't SET_LAYER_TISSUE already convert the selected tissue into another one anyway? I'm not sure what the need for REMOVE_TISSUE is in the case you describe (for replacing it with an extra layer of skin).

Or do you mean that in my case I don't need to use SET_LAYER_TISSUE, and just REMOVE_TISSUE? Or am I badly misunderstanding something here?

EDIT: I just tried this, using [REMOVE_TISSUE:FEATHER] as you show appears to remove all the feathers on the entire creature, not just the ones on the hand.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 03:28:18 pm by Mr_Crabman »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: December 06, 2021, 04:05:08 pm »

Ah, without replacing it just scratch off set_layer_tissue. Your additional edit offers the impression you weren't following my advice closely enough, and didn't target the BP particularly (the hands covered in feathers in OP) for manual removal rather than what you wanted to avoid, manual addition.

Its not part of body_detail_plan, that deals with broad strokes which you can even use to deglove the creature and re-clothe it in new skin (see remove skin and application of scales on vanilla reptiles) [SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER] is its own token set apart from it.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: December 06, 2021, 04:44:49 pm »

Ah, without replacing it just scratch off set_layer_tissue. Your additional edit offers the impression you weren't following my advice closely enough, and didn't target the BP particularly (the hands covered in feathers in OP) for manual removal rather than what you wanted to avoid, manual addition.

What I did was this (in the creature):

[PLUS_TISSUE_LAYER:FEATHER:BY_CATEGORY:FINGER]
    [REMOVE_TISSUE:FEATHER]

What was I supposed to do?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: December 06, 2021, 07:36:38 pm »

id stagger it individually rather than rushing to add fingers in the same arguement, but that ought to have worked unless i've got it wrong somewhere, which is a very real possibilty.
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 372