Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 682596 times)

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #4620 on: May 23, 2020, 08:04:54 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Help, I am trying to spice up spellcraft by creating a caste system of mages for  magic Humans and dwarves. For someone reason, I can't get the female caste to cast fireball. The male fire mage is able to caste fireball, but at the cost of not being able to pet animals. I am not sure what I am doing wrong here.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: May 23, 2020, 08:33:59 pm »

Can you also post your fireball interaction?

Also, how does fireball work in a balanced game?  Im asking out of curiousity.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: May 23, 2020, 08:48:48 pm »

I think you might want to use CAN_DO_INTERACTION, not CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION. Also your female fire mage caste doesn't have a DESCRIPTION tag.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: May 23, 2020, 09:03:50 pm »

Does POP_RATIO accept integers or floating-point numbers? Because if it's integers, you cannot have more than 100 castes and have them all show up in populations.
POP_RATIO is a ratio, not a percentage, the numbers don't have to sum to 100.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #4624 on: May 23, 2020, 09:11:29 pm »

I think you might want to use CAN_DO_INTERACTION, not CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION. Also your female fire mage caste doesn't have a DESCRIPTION tag.

Thanks! it worked!

Also, how does fireball work in a balanced game?  Im asking out of curiousity.
Really just roleplay reasoning. The mages who live in fort in spellcraft don't come with magic abilities. So I want to make them caste of mages.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: May 24, 2020, 12:17:55 am »

You may have better luck makiing them use support spells, such as nasea, pain, or even weakness to weapons.  Or strength against weapons.  Or materials.  I think you can make somebody buffed against meat.

Something like, to insert unsolicited advice:
- weakness to iron/steel
- nausea
- the pain spell, as showcased by necromancers
- a 'self destruct' gas attack spell.  Actually, that might make a good spell to be cast on war animals.  Rather casting a spell that enables the animal to cast its own spells, such as gas attacks.
- strength or agility buffing spells.

I wonder if the game/worldgen will prefer placing some people into military roles if their caste is granted military skills.....  or in certain roles if they have natural skills.  That way you could at least ensure that most of a certain type of mage is placed into a certain role.

You coould give a rare caste great conversational skills, to allow them to predominately occupy noble positions.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: May 24, 2020, 01:51:43 am »

Quite frankly you cannot have that many castes.

I had 1728 in a mod once, and, uh, did not run well, though this was back in 32-bit days

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4627 on: May 24, 2020, 04:14:03 am »

Stink spray spell:

Couple of mephit spells by Deon, with balance adjustments from my experience:
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: May 24, 2020, 02:54:23 pm »

oh my.  nobody told me 'healing' syndromes were in the game now.

Are there any new usage tokens to help make sure that these 'blessings' or benign spells get used when needed instead of whenever somebody says hi or something?

One of my largest hangups with syndromes was the disparity between adventure mode and fort mode and the usage hints being generally inadequate.

P:

The DEFEND usage hint appears to  . . . not work properly?  Has anyone tried using it?  I have 2 spells I made in 34.xx, a 'rage' spell and a 'bless' spell that have been benched since then because neither could be reasonably fielded by the ai.  Defend caused my elf to target his enemies along with himself for a blessing, and my rage spell still doesnt work with FLEE, nor the new DEFEND.

any help?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 06:37:14 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

ghanditron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: May 24, 2020, 07:19:48 pm »

Can a body part have two color modifiers? Trying to add spots to a turtle shell.

So like, if i have two [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SHELL]
each with their own [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER] and different [TLCM_NOUN]s (*shell* and *markings* in this example), would the description give off both shell and markings colors, or would it just give one description for the SHELL bodypart?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4630 on: May 24, 2020, 08:26:04 pm »

Can a body part have two color modifiers? Trying to add spots to a turtle shell.
Nope. https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token#TL_COLOR_MODIFIER
sets a list of possible "colors"(more like named patterns) for that bodypart, with attached occurrence frequencies. 

Create a new color like STRIPES_RAINBOW and

More example
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

ghanditron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: May 24, 2020, 09:03:53 pm »

Thank you for the answer. So if one body part can only have one color or pattern, to get a description like "shell color is brown. shell markings are red and blue", I imagine I could just assign a pattern to like HEAD or whatever but change the noun to "shell markings" for the desired result.

edit: or hmm. This would maybe result in stuff like "their shell markings were cut off" if the unit is decapitated? lol
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 09:06:04 pm by ghanditron »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: May 24, 2020, 11:38:59 pm »

From chopping the tail off a cat, it looks like the color descriptor will just disappear, but it will say their tail is gone.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ghanditron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: May 24, 2020, 11:56:35 pm »

Awesome! Thank you for testing that out! I'm used to just compiling mods for games, actually making my own for DF has been so much fun ^_^ Reminds me of planning a D&D campaign, haha.

Could really do a lot with this knowledge. Like, make a ton of dwarf castes with the only difference being a descriptor. EX: "tattoo of an anvil," "tattoo of a hammer", "tattoo of a barrel" etc. XD

For now I'm content with giving my turtle people some more character. Thanks again!

edit: A part with the noun "favorite color" and then a list of all the colors could be neat. If I understand the tag right, [TLCM_GENETIC_MODEL:MIX] would be needed or else "favorite color" would be genetic, haha. Or, I guess it would still be genetic, just not factoring dominance.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 12:09:59 am by ghanditron »

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: May 26, 2020, 04:28:56 pm »

So I'm gonna make another addition to my ADOM mod, how ever one of the spells in game is called Death Ray, (posted link to article describing spell below)

How should I add this into my game?

Also the creature I'm adding is represented by an @ in ADOM, how could I make that the creatures symbol in game?

I also want to add dragons with elemental breath attacks (such as frost,acid,lightning, and water) how should I add those?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 06:53:47 pm by UselessMcMiner »
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 372