Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 682853 times)

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #4500 on: April 16, 2020, 12:18:51 am »

Hmmm... A wild guess.
I'm having the same problem with one of my civs as well. Legends Viewer show no population at their sites, but when looking at site they are all listed under Other.
I've had this idea that the NO_SLEEP tag was causing the problem my end (NO_SLEEP = no beds/bedrooms = no population?) but I don't see you using that tag.

I know I've seen this problem in some other mod as well.
Let me know if you solve it!

I've had this problem with population labelled as livestock too at some point, and apparently it is caused by the creature rather than the entity. It somehow fixed when I changed the name of the creature, then it appeared under civilized population. So no idea how this works. It doesn't affect worldgen, so in the long run, it changes nothing. That's just Legends Viewer mess, not actual in-game mess.

Distman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: April 16, 2020, 10:52:34 am »

Good to know that it still works as intended, even though it looks strange.
With that said, there must be a reason for this to happen?

Lewa263

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: April 16, 2020, 06:29:52 pm »

I don't know if this question belongs in here or in the syndrome thread, because it's about a venomous creature. If I set a creature to have venom and then have a giant variant of the creature, does the giant variant have the same venom? Is the venom more powerful when it comes from a bigger creature? If not, can I replace the venom with a new stronger venom for the giant variant?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4503 on: April 17, 2020, 06:52:40 am »

I don't know if this question belongs in here or in the syndrome thread, because it's about a venomous creature. If I set a creature to have venom and then have a giant variant of the creature, does the giant variant have the same venom? Is the venom more powerful when it comes from a bigger creature? If not, can I replace the venom with a new stronger venom for the giant variant?
I think the injecting creature's size does boost the venom amount.

Relevant saved quotes:
"syndromes: 10k = dizzy, nauseous, slightfever. 250000 for drowsiness. "paralysis 10k+, death in 709 ticks."  paralysis syn can "CE_ADD_TAG:NOBREATHE" so no death!"

"weird quirk to interaction granted syndromes that might be causing this. Apparently, the game applies the syndrome as if it came from a tiny creature, so you have to mess a lot with the severity of each effect to actually get them strong enough to have any effect. It also means there's no way to have a one-size-fits-all sort of effect: if you balance it for human-sized creatures, the effect will be overpowered for smaller creature, and underpowered for larger ones :c"
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Verdant_Squire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: April 17, 2020, 08:34:20 am »

I'm trying to get a civ that uses the detailed cave sites to work. I initially tried to have them start in badlands / desert regions, but they don't ever seem to spawn properly. I tried giving them underground farming and also putting their start in mountains, but neither worked. Are there any unspoken requirements for a dwarf-like civ to work?

Edit: Nevermind ... I discovered the source of the issue a little while after posting this. I made a typo in the name for the civ's valid creature types. Oops!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 08:43:06 am by Verdant_Squire »

cheapsnot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: April 19, 2020, 01:43:25 am »

I'm new to modding & Dwarf Fortress in general, so forgive me if this is the wrong thread or a dumb question, but is there a list of tags that specifically alter a civ's ability to trade?

I can't find anything online, and for some reason the modded creatures/civ I'm trying to make just say "NO TRADE" on the embark screen, no matter where they are, and on multiple worlds.

I've looked around I'm not sure if it's a bug, or a stray tag, or if all modded entities say that, or what..?

Any help would be super appreciated!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: April 19, 2020, 02:12:35 am »

I'm new to modding & Dwarf Fortress in general, so forgive me if this is the wrong thread or a dumb question, but is there a list of tags that specifically alter a civ's ability to trade?

I can't find anything online, and for some reason the modded creatures/civ I'm trying to make just say "NO TRADE" on the embark screen, no matter where they are, and on multiple worlds.

I've looked around I'm not sure if it's a bug, or a stray tag, or if all modded entities say that, or what..?

Any help would be super appreciated!
Lack of wagon pulling and pack animals, I think.

cheapsnot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: April 19, 2020, 03:49:03 am »

I'm pretty sure this is the issue, but my problem with adding them is that [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK]/PULL/ etc. seem to instantly crash the game at worldgen. Are there conflicts with those tags somewhere?

(Edit: USE_COMMON_DOMESTIC doesn't seem to be a token at all, my bad. Didn't fix the crash tho)

(Edit2: I'm an absolute fool and completely skipped over the animal tokens. I'm not sure what the point of those common_domestic_pack tags are, though)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 04:36:18 am by cheapsnot »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: April 19, 2020, 05:12:03 am »

I'm pretty sure this is the issue, but my problem with adding them is that [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK]/PULL/ etc. seem to instantly crash the game at worldgen. Are there conflicts with those tags somewhere?

(Edit: USE_COMMON_DOMESTIC doesn't seem to be a token at all, my bad. Didn't fix the crash tho)

(Edit2: I'm an absolute fool and completely skipped over the animal tokens. I'm not sure what the point of those common_domestic_pack tags are, though)
There are some weird conflicts going on at the moment. None have been spotted linked to pack animals yet, but you never know. Do any of your civ's main races have [No_Eat]?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: April 19, 2020, 08:36:35 am »

Civ with NO_EAT and fisher jobs, crashes worldgen.

Question: Have we figured out what has been causing world-gen crashes when there are too many civs or something?
Civ with NO_EAT and fisher jobs, crashes worldgen.
But only if values Leisure_Time and Merriment are more than zero (which is why goblins don't crash despite having No_eat and permitted_job:Fish_cleaner). It's a weird one!
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

cheapsnot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: April 19, 2020, 11:45:23 am »

I ended up just starting over from scratch using dwarves as a base. I couldn't figure out what was actually wrong with the file, it just seemed to randomly break every time I changed anything related to pack animals. Spent about 6 hours pouring over it and couldn't find anything wrong with it, then copy/pasted dwarves (but with my modded creature) and they worked fine.

I think it has something to do with the values somewhere, like with the Fishing/No_Eat tags but I can't find it for the life of me. It might be worth looking into for someone who actually knows what they're doing.
Thanks anyways!!

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: April 19, 2020, 01:46:32 pm »

If I add pack animals and wagon pullers to goblins, generate big world, embark around friendly goblin civ and trade with their caravan, will I buy caged trolls?

Lewa263

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: April 21, 2020, 08:38:07 am »

If an entity has more than one holder of a position with trade responsibility, will they all come to a fortress at the same time, will only one of them ever come, or will they alternate visits?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: April 21, 2020, 10:58:26 pm »

If I add pack animals and wagon pullers to goblins, generate big world, embark around friendly goblin civ and trade with their caravan, will I buy caged trolls?
You need to make goblins friendly too. Either remove Baby_snatcher tag or add Baby_snatcher to your dwarves (will make you hostile to elf and human civs).

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: April 22, 2020, 07:02:39 am »

If an entity has more than one holder of a position with trade responsibility, will they all come to a fortress at the same time, will only one of them ever come, or will they alternate visits?
All at same time seems unlikely.
If [RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE] is programmed like "new command encountered! Ovewriting previous pointer to trader dude" then the latest position in file is tagged as the responsible.

Alternate visits seems unlikely; could be randomly picked if is programmed "new command encountered! Adding to trader dude list."

Feel free to test with 15 positions [RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE].
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 372