Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 685778 times)

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3870 on: July 23, 2019, 02:19:24 pm »

Alright guys, I've got a problem. My Ents are so weak that in Arena mode they are almost always felled by two or three Hobbits. What is causing this? here are the relevant raws:
Hobbit
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ent
I am an excellent proofreader... after I click submit.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3871 on: July 23, 2019, 02:58:46 pm »

They are made of WOOD which isn't all that strong of a material actually. You can bypass this limitation by using [GENERAL_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:1:2] for taking half the force from any attack, you can tweak the numbers until normal attacks stop being too strong, and weapon attacks still do meaningful damage

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: July 23, 2019, 03:48:32 pm »

They are made of WOOD which isn't all that strong of a material actually. You can bypass this limitation by using [GENERAL_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:1:2] for taking half the force from any attack, you can tweak the numbers until normal attacks stop being too strong, and weapon attacks still do meaningful damage
That is what I suspected. The force multiplier could work, but for a greater degree of realism I would prefer to make a make a new material that simulates live wood, which would be more elastic and tougher than dead wood. Where could I find the material science data for that? ie. yield, strain, that sort of thing. I could also possibly add a new, tougher layer: bark.

Also, Ents are about 14 feet tall. What should their size be?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 03:54:20 pm by Mim »

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: July 23, 2019, 03:50:21 pm »

[DOUBLE POST]

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: July 23, 2019, 03:50:48 pm »

[Triple post. Also, I figured out the problem: I am pressing "quote" instead of "modify"]
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 03:52:23 pm by Mim »

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: July 23, 2019, 04:03:49 pm »

[Wow. Again. Is there a way I can disable quoting myself?]
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 04:05:53 pm by Mim »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3876 on: July 23, 2019, 04:26:43 pm »

Not sure? Your multi-posting is a new thing to me (other than people doing it on purpose)

Also I'm not a material expert so finding those fancy numbers isn't something I could reliably do.

You are correct that living wood would have better properties than dead wood. But if you have no luck, the multipier(divider used in the example) would emulate that it's tougher than normal wood while being that wood.

a 5-6ft human in vanilla is 70k, so probably scaled up to 7ft would be 85-90k  so an Ent would maybe be 180k possibly 200k (because not a complete humanoid shape, there are still branches and that.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3877 on: July 23, 2019, 04:43:38 pm »

I made an ent creature for lolmod some time ago. Well, Enemy Post and I, my initial treant raws were way too buggy and had the same flimsiness issues as yours have. Enemy Post fixed that issue by adding extra layers, as single-layer creatures apparently are inherently weak. Feel free to take a look at the raws for inspiration, they should be in the latest lolmod download.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: July 23, 2019, 05:21:34 pm »

I used bark skin and wood core + muscle. I actually made a new wood an bark material, and increased the strain_at_yield on all it's properties to be closer to normal skin, per a suggestion someone offered on the forums here. Can't remember where.

Basically that makes it bruise and tear instead of fracturing like wood usually does, which means limbs don't immediately get severed by kicks and punches. Combined with the woods higher material strengths it makes them pretty tough, almost invulnerable to unarmed melee combat against small creatures, but still easily dismembered with weapons.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3879 on: July 24, 2019, 01:39:23 am »

a 250 kilogram Ent sounds pretty small, half a horse size. Maybe they could be 3000 kg? Give them some fighting(immediate counterattack or parry or interrupt) skill.

Here's Deon & myself's young ent, small on purpose to make it NOT A METALPLATED DRAGON:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 02:01:41 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: July 24, 2019, 12:30:55 pm »

@Eric Blank and @voliol

Can you post the raws for your Ents, or their location?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3881 on: July 24, 2019, 03:18:32 pm »

@Eric Blank and @voliol

They're in Teh LOLmod.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: July 24, 2019, 06:41:55 pm »

@Eric Blank and @voliol

The ents I never updated to use these materials I just realized, but I did use them in Komeng:

Pretty sure that's it. Komeng are kinda like an ent, I guess? They're made of wood with stone bones and ceramic armored plates.

This would be my actual ent creature updated to use the new mats from above:
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Orbotosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: July 25, 2019, 01:02:38 pm »

I don't think we're allowed to post that stuff, the last guy who hosted such a mod on the dffd had it taken down and was warned they'd be banned if they did it again iirc. Even the succubus mod doesn't include tiddies.

But are geldables whose location, form and implied function ("psychic sporesacks" located in the spine for enabling fireball interactions) have very little in common with earthly animals okay? This is important.
It's a buyers market. The author writes what sells, catering to the lowly demands of uneducated masses. In this case, apparently, charioteers.
Can we get migrant sponge cooks, a squid for bookkeeper, a starfish peasants, squirrel mechanics, vermin invaders, and cook roast crab meats? 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: July 26, 2019, 01:05:47 am »

That seems fine. Weird way to do requires_bp for a cdi but certainly shouldn't count as inappropriate genitalia modding.

Cast fireballs with their psychic spine spore-balls... That's just weird.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 372