Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 685490 times)

Incantatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3570 on: May 24, 2019, 12:02:01 pm »

Is there any way to make dwarfs more emotionally robust? The wiki recommended natural skill discipline 2. I did that and still almost all my marksdwarves are tantruming after their first siege. I don't think this is playable, is there anything else I can do or do I need to play another version?

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: May 24, 2019, 12:10:00 pm »

You can try lowering the median and uppermost values in their STRESS_VULNERABILITY which will lessen the effects of stress on them. Iirc, currently vanilla dwarves have a higher than average stress susceptibility on average, which leads to dwarves who are more responsive towards stressors such as combat and seeing things die. Plus it depends on how you manage your fortress. If your dwarves are constantly being exposed to things which stress them out, you're going to be feeling the negative effects of overall low dwarf morale more than if your fortress citizens were living somewhere calmer or an otherwise calmer lifestyle.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 01:10:58 pm by EternalCaveDragon »

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: May 24, 2019, 01:03:49 pm »

Is there any way to make dwarfs more emotionally robust? The wiki recommended natural skill discipline 2. I did that and still almost all my marksdwarves are tantruming after their first siege. I don't think this is playable, is there anything else I can do or do I need to play another version?

There are many personality traits/facets that all will have various impacts on how dwarves respond to different situations, but the easiest way of improving dwarven stress response is to mod their STRESS_VULNERABILITY personality facet.

STRESS_VULNERABILITY impacts broadly on how dwarves handle stressful situations. Dwarves with low stress vulnerability aren't as negatively impacted by "bad thought" situations.  The inverse is true for dwarves with high vulnerability (they get lots of stress from bad situations).

A full list of dwarven personality tokens/traits is listed in the wiki:  DF2014:Personality_trait

_____

If you look in the creature_standard.txt RAW file, under the entry for CREATURE:DWARF, you will find the token for dwarf stress vulnerability.  It is thus by default:

Code: [Select]
[PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:45:100]
The three numbers at the end that are separated by colons ":" define the personality facet range. The first number, which is "0" in the default above, is the minimum value dwarves can have. The second number (45 by default) is the median, and the last number is the maximum. The game assigns dwarves (upon their creation) a random value based on these ranges. That random value tends to be around the median (the middle number), but can skew to either extreme up to the minimum/maximum (first and last numbers).

In game, dwarves will have the following descriptions in their thoughts and preferences page for the following values of stress vulnerability:

91-100   becomes completely helpless in stressful situations
76-90    cracks easily under pressure
61-75    doesn't handle stress well
25-39    can handle stress
10-24    is confident under pressure
0-9      is impervious to the effects of stress

If you want dwarves that are more resistant to stress in-general, without doing a much deeper rework of the dwarven personality for specific situations, then simply shrinking the range of STRESS_VULNERABILITY will give you the most bang for your buck. A range of 0:0:0 will make every single dwarf "impervious to the effects of stress", and make it so only the most constant, miserable, abusive conditions result in stress shut-down of your fortress.

Super stress-resistant [MAX STRESS RESISTANCE]:

[PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:0:0]

If you want to be a little less "cheaty", you can just skew the average down, and clip off the extremely vulnerable outliers, as those dwarves will almost always need to be pampered or exiled from your fortress. A reasonable range that still makes stress a thing to consider, but not nearly as pervasive or annoying, is a range like this:

Better stress dwarves:

[PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:25:80]

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 01:15:28 pm by Wannabehero »

Incantatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: May 24, 2019, 03:19:37 pm »

Thanks for the answers. Still, I'm undecided what the best balancing would be. Besides [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:] I got the recommendation to change PERSONALITY:DEPRESSION_PROPENSITY and PERSONALITY:BRAVERY instead.

Earthbound Modder

• Bay Watcher
  • Sewer Brew Graphical Overhaul Mod, v.50.01 and up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: May 24, 2019, 03:20:38 pm »

Do you all know of any way to make a syndrome that temporarily adds another layer of tissue? I'm thinking of a "petrify" effect that adds a metal layer and makes the victim functionally invincible for the syndrome's duration. (diamondization).

It already paralyzes, but doesn't add the layer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3575 on: May 24, 2019, 03:32:52 pm »

If you dont mind the regeneration, you can add a temporary transform effect and change it to a creature made of adamantine or something.
Alternatively, i believe syndrome interactions can mess around with things like the force multiplier to substances, so you can have paralyzed victims nearly invulnerable to kinetic forces at velocity without changing material.
In the former case, it'll mean that victims who are petrified also wont outwardly bleed out or suffocate too, which is worth consideration.

Earthbound Modder

• Bay Watcher
  • Sewer Brew Graphical Overhaul Mod, v.50.01 and up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: May 24, 2019, 03:49:59 pm »

Thank you! I think I know where that creature token is, so I'll go ahead and put that into the syndrome.

Another question: does anyone know if its possible to make a body transformation syndrome transform the creature performing the interaction into its target? (i.e. a human uses it on a pig, temporarily becomes the pig)

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: May 25, 2019, 05:48:30 am »

HOW WORK SPOUSE CONVERTER AND CONVERTED SPOUSE?

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: May 25, 2019, 06:47:20 am »

Is putting different [CREATURE:] in an entity enough to have multiple creatures part of a civ and live together at that civs' sites?

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: May 25, 2019, 06:55:37 am »

Is putting different [CREATURE:] in an entity enough to have multiple creatures part of a civ and live together at that civs' sites?
No, this only make civ variative (only first creature or only second or only third etc). For multiple creatures in civ use [ANIMAL] definition.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: May 25, 2019, 07:21:23 am »

No, this only make civ variative (only first creature or only second or only third etc). For multiple creatures in civ use [ANIMAL] definition.

Thanks

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: May 25, 2019, 01:58:27 pm »

You need a critter with exactly two castes, one male one female, and add spouse converter to one and converted spouse to the other. the creature also needs the night creature hunter token and some lair information, which you can copy from something like the ettin or dragons raws to set up lair info quickly.

A lot of times they die in world gen without heirs so it might be hard to find an example of one in your world without delving through legends.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 01:59:58 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: May 25, 2019, 02:03:38 pm »

You need a critter with exactly two castes, one male one female, and add spouse converter to one and converted spouse to the other. the creature also needs the night creature hunter token and some lair information, which you can copy from something like the ettin or dragons raws to set up lair info quickly.

A lot of times they die in world gen without heirs so it might be hard to find an example of one in your world without delving through legends.
Will this tokens work if not add night creature hunter? What if make creature with four castes? Will night creature hunter spouse converter breed if have megabeast and/or power?

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: May 25, 2019, 02:09:35 pm »

Why is the hair color, skin color and eye color not showing up in the description?

Spoiler: description (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: code (click to show/hide)

anyone have any idea with this one?

I thought this would be enough:

[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:HAIR]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER::BLACK:1:GRAY:1:WHITE:1:COPPER:1:LIGHT_BROWN:1:BRONZE:1:PALE_BROWN:1:BROWN:1:OCHRE:1:SEPIA:1:DARK_BROWN:1:RAW_UMBER:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:hair:SINGULAR]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER::BLACK:1:GRAY:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:skin:SINGULAR]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER::BLACK:1:GRAY:1:WHITE:1:RED:1:SCARLET:1:ORANGE:1:AMBER:1:SAFFRON:1:GOLD:1:YELLOW:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: May 25, 2019, 03:26:04 pm »

Will this tokens work if not add night creature hunter? What if make creature with four castes? Will night creature hunter spouse converter breed if have megabeast and/or power?
[/quote]
It does technically work without night creature hunter, but only on historical figures, so like wild animals that earned a name or megabeasts (I've never tried it with megabeasts tho) I know if you add it to civilized races, things get even more awkward, with historical figures trying to kidnap other races as spouses.

Multiple castes, gets weird. I know from experience, that if you have say, two male castes, one converter and one converted, and two female castes, following the same rules, the beast will kidnap people of the appropriate gender, but then might do a sex change by converting them into the opposite gender, ending up in a homosexual relationship, which is cool, but producing biological children, which makes no sense. Now if you had one caste converters and one converted, and two extras, idk. As I understand things, children born from spouse converters should always take on the spouse converters caste, going on to kidnap spouses of their own. So in theory, those "extra" castes should never be born from a marriage. Maybe they can appear in the wild though, from normal breeding.

If you had one converter caste and three converted castes, it would probably choose at random between the three when converting a humanoid target into the spouse converter. If you had multiple converter castes but one converted, the spouse would always be the same but the children would be one of the three at random.

I have no idea how pop ratio tags will react with converter child birth rates or spouse conversion choices. It could have no effect, it could choose castes according to pop ratios, or it could crash the game. In fact, crashing he game is always an option with any of this. When Toady One programmed the behavior, he obviously didn't intend for multiple converter and spouse castes, so everything else is also a "this might crash the game or not work like you expect"
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 372