Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 685503 times)

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3555 on: May 23, 2019, 11:27:32 am »

Can a creature start with a skill level higher than their [NATURAL_SKILL] (i.e. is that token a minimum) or will [NATURAL_SKILL] overwrite any potential skill level and set it to that (even if it would have been higher)? For new migrants or creatures in seiges for example.

I believe natural skill sets the baseline starting level, which defaults to 0 in absence of the natural skill token.  Then any additional levels of skill are applied based on the profession and history of the creature. Natural skill should not overwrite the skill leveling of new arrivals (migrants, invaders, visitors, pets).

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: May 23, 2019, 12:34:26 pm »

What if add to both castes [CONVERTED_SPOUSE] and [SPOUSE_CONVERTER]?

Earthbound Modder

• Bay Watcher
  • Sewer Brew Graphical Overhaul Mod, v.50.01 and up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: May 23, 2019, 03:39:08 pm »

Hi you all! I'm fairly new to DF modding, and I'm currently doing an Earthbound creature mod. I'll try to be pretty brief.

I'm having trouble making one of my creatures stand, here is its body type

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here is its creature file

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If there's anything you see in there as to why it cannot stand (or kick), any of your input would be extremely helpful.

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: May 23, 2019, 03:57:29 pm »

Thanks. What would the reagent be for the tree orchard to make logs? Would it not have one? Could that wood material be as strong as steel in theory or does "wood" have a limit on strength/ armor penetration?

I am thinking of making a "Felwood Grove" (workshop) to create "Felwood Logs" which in turn makes Felwood weapons and armor. I assume I need: a new workshop (Felwood Grove), a new material (Felwood), a new item (Felwood Log), a reaction to make Felwood Logs (with no reagents?), a new item for every new Felwood weapon and armor and a new reaction for every weapon and armor. Is that right?

Q1. I would suggest seeds, that themselves could be grown in another workshop.
Q2. I think a reagent of some sort is required. Though I might not be correct.
Q3. You have complete and total control over a material's qualities. So for further questions like this assume that you have no limits. You could make a type of glass heavier than a moon; a metal so hot that any creature that touches it instantly explodes; you can create a creature with literal fiery red hair; fat that freezes upon contact with air; stone so light that you could carry a mountain of it on your back and not feel a thing; webs made out of tears; wood so sharp, hard, light, and valuable that it puts candy to absolute shame; chickens that lay eggs filled with spiders; and a material that exclusively does damage against certain creatures IE Silver to werewolves.
Q4. Sounds about right.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: May 23, 2019, 04:10:22 pm »

Awesome thanks. Would the "grow seed" reaction need a reagent? What reagent would that use?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: May 23, 2019, 04:52:04 pm »

Thanks. What would the reagent be for the tree orchard to make logs? Would it not have one? Could that wood material be as strong as steel in theory or does "wood" have a limit on strength/ armor penetration?

I am thinking of making a "Felwood Grove" (workshop) to create "Felwood Logs" which in turn makes Felwood weapons and armor. I assume I need: a new workshop (Felwood Grove), a new material (Felwood), a new item (Felwood Log), a reaction to make Felwood Logs (with no reagents?), a new item for every new Felwood weapon and armor and a new reaction for every weapon and armor. Is that right?

Thats essentially the right idea, it can be anything though really.

Here's a example i have, but its important to determine what you think is balanced for yourself. If its a civlization you are not playing then it doesn't matter as long as its something, but if you are playing, then the "building" and process will matter a bit more so it doesn't feel 100% like cheating free wood.

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:GROW_WOOD_FROM_SEEDS]
[NAME:grow wood from seeds]
[BUILDING:ELF_ALCHEMIST:CUSTOM_P] ##alchemist here is just the name of the building i used.
[REAGENT:A:1:SEEDS:NONE:NONE:NONE][UNROTTEN][REACTION_CLASS:ELF_NATURE] ## reaction class added to seed materials so they search for the right ones, you can specify plant, fruit or mushroom this way with a little tweak for different effects/logs.
[PRODUCT:100:3:WOOD:NONE:PLANT_MAT:GROWN_WOOD:WOOD]
[SKILL:ALCHEMY]
[CATEGORY:TRANSMUTE_WOOD][CATEGORY_NAME:transmute wood][CATEGORY_KEY:NONE] ##categories are non-essential, i used this specifically because i had to sort a lot of reactions into the same workshop

The enclosed code is loosely adapted from the All Races modification, the seeds themselves are just (any) rather than specified ones but the product is logs, "grown wood" is just the name of my generated wood, in your case it'd be fel wood (and ensure the material is properly supplied before trying to summon logs of it)

Here's my "grown tree" for a example, take notice that it has no biome, and no seeds so can't appear in the world besides from being made by these workshop logs.
[PLANT:GROWN_WOOD]
[NAME:grown log][NAME_PLURAL:grown logs][ADJ:grown]
[PREFSTRING:natural appearance]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WOOD:WOOD_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:grown wood]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:grown]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:AUBURN]
[SOLID_DENSITY:700]
[TREE:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:WOOD]
[TREE_TILE:6]
[TRUNK_PERIOD:10]
[HEAVY_BRANCH_DENSITY:25]
[BRANCH_DENSITY:50]
[MAX_TRUNK_HEIGHT:8]
[HEAVY_BRANCH_RADIUS:1]
[BRANCH_RADIUS:2]
[TRUNK_BRANCHING:2]
[MAX_TRUNK_DIAMETER:1]
[TRUNK_WIDTH_PERIOD:200]
[ROOT_DENSITY:5]
[ROOT_RADIUS:3]
[STANDARD_TILE_NAMES]

Also adapted from the All Races modification.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: May 23, 2019, 05:10:03 pm »

Thats essentially the right idea, it can be anything though really.

Here's a example i have, but its important to determine what you think is balanced for yourself. If its a civlization you are not playing then it doesn't matter as long as its something, but if you are playing, then the "building" and process will matter a bit more so it doesn't feel 100% like cheating free wood.

[REACTION:GROW_WOOD_FROM_SEEDS]
[NAME:grow wood from seeds]
[BUILDING:ELF_ALCHEMIST:CUSTOM_P] ##alchemist here is just the name of the building i used.
[REAGENT:A:1:SEEDS:NONE:NONE:NONE][UNROTTEN][REACTION_CLASS:ELF_NATURE] ## reaction class added to seed materials so they search for the right ones, you can specify plant, fruit or mushroom this way with a little tweak for different effects/logs.
[PRODUCT:100:3:WOOD:NONE:PLANT_MAT:GROWN_WOOD:WOOD]
[SKILL:ALCHEMY]
[CATEGORY:TRANSMUTE_WOOD][CATEGORY_NAME:transmute wood][CATEGORY_KEY:NONE] ##categories are non-essential, i used this specifically because i had to sort a lot of reactions into the same workshop

The enclosed code is loosely adapted from the All Races modification, the seeds themselves are just (any) rather than specified ones but the product is logs, "grown wood" is just the name of my generated wood, in your case it'd be fel wood (and ensure the material is properly supplied before trying to summon logs of it)

Here's my "grown tree" for a example, take notice that it has no biome, and no seeds so can't appear in the world besides from being made by these workshop logs.
[PLANT:GROWN_WOOD]
[NAME:grown log][NAME_PLURAL:grown logs][ADJ:grown]
[PREFSTRING:natural appearance]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:grown wood]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:grown]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:AUBURN]
[SOLID_DENSITY:700]
[STANDARD_TILE_NAMES]

Also adapted from the All Races modification.
You can make elven growing wagon, this is workshop look alike wagon and use to grow wagon wood logs by water from well.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: May 23, 2019, 05:13:11 pm »

In theory if you put the logs referencing the wagon, cruelty free wagon logs that's correct but its not as much fun as plundering your own.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: May 23, 2019, 05:22:50 pm »

In theory if you put the logs referencing the wagon, cruelty free wagon logs that's correct but its not as much fun as plundering your own.
Real elves in DF grow weapons and armor directly on live trees. Alchemist workshop is not for real elves. But live wagon is fun.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: May 23, 2019, 06:43:51 pm »

edit: I think I have the mat figured out
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 07:32:24 am by brolol.404 »

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: May 24, 2019, 03:15:45 am »

How work [CONVERTED_SPOUSE]? What if add this tag with [SPOUSE_CONVERTER] to same caste? What if not add [CONWERTED_SPOUSE] to creature castes?

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: May 24, 2019, 07:19:50 am »

Will this work? basically using a corpse to summon fel wood until the corpse rots.

[REACTION:hordes_SUMMON_FEL_WOOD]
[NAME:summon fel wood with blood offering]
[BUILDING:hordes_ALTAR_BLOOD:CUSTOM_A]
[REAGENT:hordes_BLOOD:1:CORPSE:NONE:NONE:NONE][USE_BODY_COMPONENT][PRESERVE_REAGENT][UNROTTEN]
[PRODUCT:100:3:WOOD:NONE:PLANT_MAT:hordes_FEL_WOOD:WOOD]
[SKILL:BUTCHER]

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: May 24, 2019, 07:31:29 am »

and this is what I have for the mat:

[PLANT:hordes_FEL_WOOD]
[NAME:fel wood][NAME_PLURAL:fel wood][ADJ:fel wood]
[PREFSTRING:the chaotic energy that radiates from it]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:fel wood]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:fel wood]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:BURNT_UMBER]
[SOLID_DENSITY:7850]
[IMPACT_YIELD:1080000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:1080000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:1000]
[MAX_EDGE:10000]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:10075]
[IGNITE_POINT:11000]
[HEATDAM_POINT:NONE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:20]
[STANDARD_TILE_NAMES]
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:13:34 am by brolol.404 »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: May 24, 2019, 09:35:22 am »

Will this work? basically using a corpse to summon fel wood until the corpse rots.

[REACTION:hordes_SUMMON_FEL_WOOD]
[NAME:summon fel wood with blood offering]
[BUILDING:hordes_ALTAR_BLOOD:CUSTOM_A]
[REAGENT:hordes_BLOOD:1:CORPSE:NONE:NONE:NONE][USE_BODY_COMPONENT][PRESERVE_REAGENT][UNROTTEN]
[PRODUCT:100:3:WOOD:NONE:PLANT_MAT:hordes_FEL_WOOD:WOOD]
[SKILL:BUTCHER]

CORPSEPIECE instead of CORPSE would let you use abstract body parts like seperated limbs and legs rather than just the central corpse if that's applicable to what you want, looks fine but i think skeletons would bypass or be stopped by the [UNROTTEN] token so be mindful if bodies are left to rot to bones on the piles when production isn't very fast.

Looks fine to me otherwise, unless someone else would like to interject.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: May 24, 2019, 10:59:05 am »

thanks. I was thinking of using blood, but I'm not sure if that is possible? (maybe I could use [CORPSEPIECE] and specify the heart?) I figured if I use [CORPSE] with [PRESERVE_REAGENT] it will be like draining the blood on the altar. I don't want to use skeletons as it is supposed to be a fresh sacrifice.

I do have another problem though...

Why is the hair color, skin color and eye color not showing up in the description?

Spoiler: description (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: code (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 372