Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 685882 times)

DaStormDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3270 on: September 08, 2018, 04:09:04 am »

Would making a syndrome that only had bad effects in the late stage, and using dfhack's reset duration work?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3271 on: September 08, 2018, 04:55:30 am »

Would making a syndrome that only had bad effects in the late stage, and using dfhack's reset duration work?

Like you mean making your own sortof "counter" so you can make something akin to a custom vampire? instead of drinking blood, it needs to fight? if it doesn't fight it suffers from the syndrome. but if it does resets the syndrome back to 0?

murphieschecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: September 09, 2018, 05:13:51 am »

I am relatively new to Dwarf Fortress, but decided to try modding in 2 new civilisations (with their own races), one as a fourth season trading civ the other as violent lunatics. Both races seem to work fine, but the violent race doesn't spawn its civ. What is required in an entity and what stops it from working? (I started with both creatures in one custom file, and both entities in a second, but moved the second to a new set of files as it wouldn't work, with the appropriate headings)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: September 09, 2018, 05:34:44 am »

Improper biome settings can also stop them from spawning, being Carnivores and/or lacking proper farming will have them die off quickly

DaStormDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: September 09, 2018, 05:53:42 am »

Like you mean making your own sortof "counter" so you can make something akin to a custom vampire? instead of drinking blood, it needs to fight? if it doesn't fight it suffers from the syndrome. but if it does resets the syndrome back to 0?

Yeah - would that work?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: September 09, 2018, 06:02:41 am »

Yeah - would that work?
I don't know much about DFHack but perhaps someone who does will chime in and give some good info

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: September 09, 2018, 07:18:14 am »

If you set a caste to have [POP_RATIO:0] then, it would not normally appear, would it ? But the caste exists, so you can use a syndrome to change a creature into that caste, right ?

DaStormDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: September 09, 2018, 07:21:50 am »

If you set a caste to have [POP_RATIO:0] then, it would not normally appear, would it ? But the caste exists, so you can use a syndrome to change a creature into that caste, right ?
Yeah

murphieschecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: September 09, 2018, 08:50:37 am »

It seems I missed the START_BIOME token last time, but with it inserted there is still no sign of them spawning. Unless there is a problem with using ANY_LAND as start or supported biome token. What is really annoying about this is that the other custom civ is working fine.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: September 09, 2018, 01:07:41 pm »

POP_RATION:0 goes to the default which I think is 50? (as it alludes to being like FREQUENCY)

so what you need to do is make it POP_RATIO:1 and all the other castes a very large number like 20000

as it more or less means Chance for this Caste to be born naturally (ingame and worldgen, however there are hacks to force them into existance outside of syndromes)
ChanceToBeBorn = CastePopRatio{1} / AllCastePopRatios{20001}

since it says it is a ratio, it's easy to tell it works off of a ratio system.

cltail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: September 09, 2018, 02:21:40 pm »

I've been trying to make a multiracial civilization using a single creature with all the vanilla races defined in castes, but i don't want things like a human and a dwarf having a goblin child to happen. I've seen other mods have multiracial civs and i have no idea if they have a solution or if they just ignore the issue.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: September 09, 2018, 02:37:37 pm »

I've been trying to make a multiracial civilization using a single creature with all the vanilla races defined in castes, but i don't want things like a human and a dwarf having a goblin child to happen. I've seen other mods have multiracial civs and i have no idea if they have a solution or if they just ignore the issue.

Most likely ignore the issue, however I've been meaning to try noble positions that only allow certain creatures. But that requires the ENTITY to have many CREATURE definitions, however I haven't tested it completely yet. As it seems there are certain noble types you have to make use of.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3282 on: September 10, 2018, 03:55:50 am »

I mean, even with the noble positions idea it wouldn't stop them from scenarios like a dwarf male and a goblin female marrying and having an elf child. It's not really possible currently to circumvent that, since there's no tokens that dictate what the child is supposed to be, or preventing castes from marrying others (according to the wiki the only exception is immortal castes not marrying mortal ones - but of course this still leaves the issue of "elf and goblin marry and produce a human")

murphieschecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: September 10, 2018, 05:30:15 am »

one way to deal with the arbitrary offspring would be to set up a syndrome (or somesuch) to turn the offspring into the same (or opposite gender) caste as one of the parents, with the option of setting up a syndrome to turn one spouse into the opposite gender caste of the other. If there isn't a way to set up the syndromes to do so by default, there should be something you can assign the syndromes to so that you control it, like creating, in a workshop, a material that instantly boils and gives those who breathe it the required transformation syndrome (would take longer).
Of course, as can be seen in my earlier posts, I have little experience with Dwarf Fortress and modding, and still need to know what is [REQUIRED] in entity files, which is my second serious modding attempt

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: September 10, 2018, 07:55:41 am »

When I suggested the nobles approach I was meaning don't use castes the nobles are just supposed pull an x amount of a creature into every site so they can marry and flourish. Now you will have a site that will have the majority due to world gen saying this is a goblin mountain home. But with nobles at the site saying also force about 30 or so people to be elves another 30 as humans and another 30 as dwarves then the minority just needs to marry and reproduce. And not because of castes.

Castes are not needed for this suggestion and I haven't fully tested yet because I normally have to use a mayor position for world gen to populate it day one
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 07:57:50 am by Hugo_The_Dwarf »
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 372