Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 685953 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3150 on: April 30, 2018, 08:09:23 am »

TIL that items created by itemcorpse cannot be used in reactions if the creature they came from was intelligent.

This explains why I was having so much trouble tracking down why a reaction wasn't working.  Unfortunately, unless there is a work around for this "feature" then I am kind of sunk.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get around this if in fortress mode I want an intelligent creature to drop a usable item on death,  or some other method of simulating stripping a dead creature of gear?  Or am I screwed?  Making the creature unintelligent is off the table - they show up as both mercs and siegers (and they show up as mercs because of migration to other civs - their entity doesn't have the [MERCENARY] tag).
Maybe an itemcorpse that drops alongside the the creature, that boils at room temperature, and that has a compound interaction syndrome that specifically revives the corpse of the creature that died, transforms only that creature into a different non-sentient creature that instantly scuttles itself due to counting as a wagon?
The only problem is getting a necromancy interaction to target the corpse.
You could also make the creature's sweat permanently change it into an unintelligent version of itself. This will make them unusable as learner creatures, but they still show up as mercs, and turn into something you can use the body parts of once killed. Potentially.
I haven't actually tested if sentients turned non-sentient can be butchered.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: April 30, 2018, 10:56:40 am »

AFAIK a boiling itemcorpse would negate any attempts to revive it. Are you attempting to do this in adventure mode or fort mode? The former may be more plausible to achieve.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: April 30, 2018, 11:36:34 am »

TIL that items created by itemcorpse cannot be used in reactions if the creature they came from was intelligent.
Maybe an itemcorpse that drops alongside the the creature, that boils at room temperature, and that has a compound interaction syndrome that specifically revives the corpse of the creature that died, transforms only that creature into a different non-sentient creature that instantly scuttles itself due to counting as a wagon?
The only problem is getting a necromancy interaction to target the corpse.
Sadly, I don't think this will work.  Itemcorpse replaces the corpse with a single item, so there is nothing to animate (I just tried with a necromancer in arena - only severed parts were animateable).
You could also make the creature's sweat permanently change it into an unintelligent version of itself. This will make them unusable as learner creatures, but they still show up as mercs, and turn into something you can use the body parts of once killed. Potentially.
I haven't actually tested if sentients turned non-sentient can be butchered.
This might work.   Alternatively, it could be a syndrome that removes the [can_learn] tag. I could even give an interaction to my fort citizen race that strips [can_learn] from enemy combatants of the appropriate race, leaving visitors unaffected. Unfortunately, this will still leave a bit of wonkiness, but it is an option IF stripping can_learn also strips the appropriate flags from the dropped ITEMCORPSE item. 

Actually, I have a better idea.  I did a quick bit of looking through gm-editor and found the dead_dwarf flag.  Flicking this off lets items be used.  I might try to write a short lua script that executes through item-trigger and strips that flag. Shame I suck at both lua and dfhack*, but hey, this can't be *that* hard, right?  Right?
AFAIK a boiling itemcorpse would negate any attempts to revive it. Are you attempting to do this in adventure mode or fort mode? The former may be more plausible to achieve.
Both, but Fort mode is the more important one.

*my net experience with lua and dfhack is fixing a couple of bugs in reaction-trigger and modifying it to take a -range and -ignoreWorker arg.  I literally did this less than 48 hours ago.

EDIT

Added the necessary item-trigger commands to on-load and tested it in arena (for adv mode) and in a fortress mode save (by ganking a visiting scholar) and it works.  The itemcorpse item got hauled to the corpse/refuse stockpile instead of my main stockpile* and there is a delay before the item is usable in adventure mode, but frankly I am filing those bugs under the priority of "I literally don't give a damn".  It works.  That is good enough.

*I don't know if it would have gotten shifted a second time or not.  That fortress has way to many outstanding hauling jobs for me to be bothered waiting to find out.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 01:53:20 pm by thefriendlyhacker »
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: April 30, 2018, 04:37:36 pm »

How does defining custom bodypart CATEGORY's work, when I do it I can't figure out how to get it to have tissues and other stuff needed to function correctly

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: May 01, 2018, 02:32:09 am »

How does defining custom bodypart CATEGORY's work, when I do it I can't figure out how to get it to have tissues and other stuff needed to function correctly

Sounds like your tissue layering body detail plans are fucky.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3155 on: May 01, 2018, 05:14:27 pm »

Code: [Select]
[BP:RH:right hand:STP][CON:RLA][GRASP][RIGHT][CATEGORY:HAND]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:80]

[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:HAND:SKIN]
or
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_TYPE:GRASP:SKIN]
or
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_TOKEN:RH:SKIN]

the same idea applies in Body_Detail_Plans or other things that require you to select a bodypart, like Attacks as another example

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: May 02, 2018, 03:25:40 am »

Ok, I am having a problem.  Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this:
*** Error(s) finalizing the creature DEMON_18
undefined local creature material set to default: DEMON_18 HAIR
I have this error for a lot of (but not all)  demons, titans, night creatures and forgotten beasts.

It kind of matters a lot, because I am also having wordgen crashes and I saw a post by someone else saying that a problem with demon hair tissue was the cause.  I am hoping that my problem is similar.

This is from an old mod I am trying to update to 44.09 with several variations on a lot of tissue/body/material templates, so there are a lot of raws where there could be errors that I have no clue about.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: May 02, 2018, 06:01:32 am »

Ok, I am having a problem.  Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this:

Check your body detail plans. Does the STANDARD_MATERIALS bundle still contain the template for hair?

Nuclear Fairy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: May 02, 2018, 07:49:40 am »

I created giant silk worms that I wanted only the humans to have access to. To give them something unique. But I can't get them to show up for them.

this is the code I put in the humans entity file;

[ANIMAL]
      [CREATURE_TOKEN:GIANT_SILK_WORM]
      [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]
      [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PET]

Here is the giant silk worms code;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: May 02, 2018, 08:24:07 am »

I created giant silk worms that I wanted only the humans to have access to. To give them something unique. But I can't get them to show up for them.

this is the code I put in the humans entity file;

[ANIMAL]
      [CREATURE_TOKEN:GIANT_SILK_WORM]
      [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]
      [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PET]

Use ANIMAL_TOKEN instead.

Nuclear Fairy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: May 02, 2018, 09:43:40 am »

I knew it had to be something simple!

Thank you. I'll do that next time I get a chance.

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: May 02, 2018, 10:25:20 am »

Check your body detail plans. Does the STANDARD_MATERIALS bundle still contain the template for hair?
The STANDARD_MATERIALS body detail plan raws contain the template for hair.  They also contain mane hair.
[ADD_MATERIAL:HAIR:HAIR_TEMPLATE]
[ADD_MATERIAL:HAIR_MANE:HAIR_TEMPLATE]
Likewise for STANDARD_TISSUES...
[ADD_TISSUE:HAIR:HAIR_TEMPLATE]
[ADD_TISSUE:HAIR_MANE:HAIR_TEMPLATE]
There are several other variants of STANDARD_MATERIALS and STANDARD_TISSUES (e.g. BEASTSTANDARD_MATERIALS with better materials for megabeasts and such) that also contain the above hair declarations.  In addition, there is a WOODSTANDARD_MATERIALS that has LEAF_TEMPLATE instead of HAIR_TEMPLATE (which is used in a single creature along with STANDARD_TISSUES).  Other than that, all of the variations have the same hair declarations as STANDARD_MATERIALS/TISSUES, and nothing else has those declarations.

I should probably add that a lot of creatures don't actually have hair and/or mane hair, and have the materials/tissues removed in their creature definitions.  There were a lot of creatures where that wasn't done correctly, but I have fixed them already and of the 5 remaining raw defined creature material errors, none of them are hair.

How are materials/tissues selected for randomly generated creatures, anyway?  Are existing creature definitions just picked at random and modified a bit, or is it a bit more sophisticated than that?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: May 02, 2018, 11:25:16 am »

How are materials/tissues selected for randomly generated creatures, anyway?  Are existing creature definitions just picked at random and modified a bit, or is it a bit more sophisticated than that?

Procgens take their bodyparts from body_rcp.txt, but lean on the original body detail plans and tissue/material chains for the details. They've got their own list of species names to draw from, they're entirely independent from the normally defined creatures.

From spooling through an uncompressed world.dat, I can see that demons have a really basic relationship with hair: they do or they don't, either sticking REMOVE_TISSUE and REMOVE_MATERIAL tags after the STANDARD_xxx packs, or apply it on with a totally terrestrial [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS:HAIR] and then SELECT_MATERIAL it for a recolor.

Without seeing anything else, I can only maintain that somewhere along the line the chain is just broken. The hair-bearing random critters ask for hair through the vanilla method, but it fails. Are all of your files getting parsed?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:27:39 am by scamtank »

Nuclear Fairy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: May 02, 2018, 11:52:39 am »

Use ANIMAL_TOKEN instead.

It's still not working. :/ Maybe there is something wrong with the giant silk worm? Except when I add the domestic tag to it, it shows up just fine.

Edit: I think the problem may be that I'm still playing version 43.5. I'm not ready to stop playing my current world yet so this change isn't crucial, but is the new version of the game compatible with my old worlds?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 12:22:35 pm by Nuclear Fairy »

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: May 02, 2018, 12:59:38 pm »

Quoth the toad:

Old forts won't have object additions like the pedestals and display cases, but they should be able to send out raids from the 'c' screen.
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 372