Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 686447 times)

armads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2625 on: May 18, 2017, 10:06:42 pm »

So here's a question. I've been trying to mod a creature so that it will have a dragonfire touch, since it's the closest thing I can get to having a melting touch, but i've been unable to get it to work. I've also been trying to see if I could get a breath weapon or anything really, that might freeze a creature, or give it extreme frostbite. How would I go about doing this? Also, is it possible to cause bursts of metal? Similar to bursts of flame, only with molten gold or silver or something. Coating the dead in molten metals as it were.
For a melting/burning touch, you might try a sting-type attack that injects something very hot, like molten metal or a special extract with a high fixed temperature.  It would have to break the skin to work, but I think injections respect temperature, so it ought to burn people from the inside out.  Note: I have not tested this.  If you want your creature to burn everything around it, not relying on a specific attack, you could just give it a high enough fixed temperature to ignite anyone it grabs.

For the other two, you want a material emission, like the magma crab uses:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For your purpose, I think that TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW would probably be most effective.  Use gold or silver or platinum instead of basalt for the molten metal attack, and a custom material with extremely low melting and boiling points for the cold attack.  I'm not sure how lethal it'll be, but it ought to be cold.

Yeah, a bite using teeth won't work with no teeth.  Try just using ATTACK:BITE:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH, and see if that works?

Okay, I got the spewing of molten metal working, thank you!

I'm less sure on the process of making cold breath, however. Mostly because, if I used something with a low freezing and boiling point, it would always be a gas; meaning that it would instantly evaporate. If I used something with a high freezing and boiling point, it would end up as a solid. Not that being able to spew solid metal is a problem I suppose.

But I'm not really sure what kind of material, or even custom, would be able to be modified in a way that would make anything colder? Unless there's a way to set a default temperature?

As for the molten touch, I suppose what I'm looking for is something like the ability to transfer heat; the problem with making the creature so hot that it catches everything on fire is that it defeats the purpose. I suppose I'm thinking something like an ooze, where it touching things causes things to melt or burn, rather than catching things around it on fire. Alternatively, something with acid-like properties might work too.

Edit: So, some testing was done, and I found that the TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW is actually really ineffective for a breath weapon made of Platinum. Reason being that as soon as the platinum vapor hits the air, it instantly blows up in your face, so you either need to be invulnerable or deal with instantly having your face melted by it.

Using the LIQUID_GLOB modifier however, creates a weird other situation. It creates a spit of molten platinum. However, once it touches something, it sets both the person and everything around it on fire; and melts the person pretty well. But the strange thing is that no matter where the spit hits, even the foot, when you look at the description of the person, only their upper body shows damage. They then slowly bleed out rather than the intended effect of melting their clothing and the like. It appears that, even if the glob of molten platinum touches their metal armor, it just instantly hurts them, somehow not harming the person's items until they die and everything else catches fire.

Edit 2: Alright, so something finally managed to live long enough to observe without bleeding to death.

Apparently, what's happening is that the molten platinum hits the armor of the person, and because that item is technically equipped to the upper body, regardless of where else it hits, it's the upper body that is melted. So say, if you're wearing a robe, that robe might cover the upper leg, but it counts as hitting the upper body, so the upper body melts and they begin to bleed out.

However, what was happening was that it was so hot that it seemed to have burnt a hole in the armor, which then slowly deteriorated; and in previous attempts the person died and a fire started and destroyed every thing. This time, the hole in the armor melted the torso, or perhaps it merely coated the armor attached to the upper body and melted that, and once the armor was destroyed, then everything else started melting. So if you hit someone in the upper leg, first the torso melts, then the armor is destroyed, and THEN the upper leg begins to melt. Also, by that point the human's upper body fat had also melted away, but it was somehow still alive, if heavily bleeding and unconscious.

Figured I should note that while I await an answer on trying to provide a cold weapon of some kind.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 11:51:29 pm by armads »

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: May 18, 2017, 10:46:19 pm »

I'm rather terrible at tissues and the like, and I'd like to make a creature that's made of steel everywhere except its head. How would I go about doing so? If possible, can you provide an example using an otherwise normal human?
That's where body detail plans come in. Look at VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS in b_detail_plan_default.txt. You could make a body plan where instead of every bodypart being a quadruple-decker sandwich of insert-your-tissues-here like usual, every bodypart except the head (and skull? and brains??) are made solely of ARG5 material. And that ARG5 wildcard would be your metal, in this case.

And then in the creature definition itself, the tag that usually reads [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE] would now be something like [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:METALMANCER_TISSUES:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:STEELMEAT], with the STEELMEAT tissue's particulars being defined above it, like how a bronze colossus doesn't pull its tissue definitions from any templates. It just defines them on the spot.

I cannot develop a proper example as it is half past seven in the morning and my mind feels like someone is wiping the vague butt shape of my brain lobes with sandpaper
In addendum, is there any way I can create a creature that has its weapon attached to it? If so, how would I go about doing so?
You can tweak bodyparts to be weapons in all the critical ways, big and metallic and attached to the hand-type bits and equipped with slashes and stabs just like how limbs have punches and kicks. You can't really fuse foreign objects to people's bodies yet.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: May 18, 2017, 11:04:53 pm »

I'm rather terrible at tissues and the like, and I'd like to make a creature that's made of steel everywhere except its head. How would I go about doing so? If possible, can you provide an example using an otherwise normal human?
That's where body detail plans come in. Look at VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS in b_detail_plan_default.txt. You could make a body plan where instead of every bodypart being a quadruple-decker sandwich of insert-your-tissues-here like usual, every bodypart except the head (and skull? and brains??) are made solely of ARG5 material. And that ARG5 wildcard would be your metal, in this case.

And then in the creature definition itself, the tag that usually reads [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE] would now be something like [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:METALMANCER_TISSUES:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:STEELMEAT], with the STEELMEAT tissue's particulars being defined above it, like how a bronze colossus doesn't pull its tissue definitions from any templates. It just defines them on the spot.

I cannot develop a proper example as it is half past seven in the morning and my mind feels like someone is wiping the vague butt shape of my brain lobes with sandpaper
In addendum, is there any way I can create a creature that has its weapon attached to it? If so, how would I go about doing so?
You can tweak bodyparts to be weapons in all the critical ways, big and metallic and attached to the hand-type bits and equipped with slashes and stabs just like how limbs have punches and kicks. You can't really fuse foreign objects to people's bodies yet.
Thank you very much, this was extremely helpful.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #2628 on: May 19, 2017, 12:32:21 am »

Finally, and most complicatedly, how do Necromancers work exactly? I want to make a creature that's made out of steel sans one weakpoint, has weapons for arms, and will act like a necromancer in the sense that they make towers. If this is possible, since I've seen other mods that make towers for pyromancers, biomancers, etc., how would I make it so that my creature creates a tower, including the legion of undead?
Do you want a creature that is covered in steel, like an ordinary human with permanent armor, or composed of solid steel, like a statue with a human head glued to the top?  If you don't want to mess around with the details of the body detail plans, another approach would be to make a custom body for it.  For solid steel, you might use something like this:
Like scamtank said, you'll need a steel tissue, which you can base on the bronze colossus:
A normal human has:
Code: [Select]
[BODY:HUMANOID_NECK:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH:TONGUE:FACIAL_FEATURES:TEETH:RIBCAGE]
You'd replace it with something like:
[BODY:HUMANOID_STEEL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:BRAIN:SKULL:MOUTH:TONGUE:FACIAL_FEATURES:TEETH]
Then you can add
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:STEEL:STEEL]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:BLADE:STEEL]
in after the normal body detail stuff, and you should have an ordinary human head on a steel body.

You could also give it the necromancer's raise dead interaction.  I'm not certain if this would make it create towers, though, when it didn't come from a secret.

Armads, nice ‼science‼!  Yeah, trailing vapor is only good if you can withstand the stuff you're breathing. :D  Interesting results with the molten platinum glob.  Material emissions set the material at whatever temperature is required for the defined state.  So if you spit a liquid glob of something with a low enough melting and boiling point, it'll be really, really cold.  As I recall, DF actually allows temperatures well below absolute zero.  It'll evaporate quickly, but ought to chill whatever it splatters onto pretty well.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: May 19, 2017, 08:31:50 am »

I was actually looking to create a human clad in armor, but the part about swords will certainly come in helpful. Thank you!

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying for Nakéen to stay this time (copium)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: May 19, 2017, 09:47:38 am »

Is it possible to change the properties of a creatures' tissues/materials with an interaction but without using a transformation ?

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: May 19, 2017, 10:24:23 am »

Figured I should note that while I await an answer on trying to provide a cold weapon of some kind.

You can make a cold weapon the same way you made the molten metal weapon:

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLUE_FIRE:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
[SPEC_HEAT:410]
[MELTING_POINT:4600]
[BOILING_POINT:5200]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL:blue fire]
[STATE_COLOR:GAS:BLUE]
[STATE_COLOR:LIQUID:LIGHT_BLUE]

Adjust the spec heat and/or melting point to adjust the damage it deals.  The current numbers are tuned to cause serious frostbite damage to a human-sized target after two whole-body applications (via a vapor breath weapon used by a creature that is immune to cold).  A liquid glob results in a much smaller exposure, so if you go that rout you'll need to tune the damage accordingly.

Be warned that cold weapons don't seem to work all that well, in that they mostly seem to cause either no damage or death, with a very small middle-ground.  Smaller bodyparts are more affected in that case, so if you use the whole body application the victims eyes will be one of the first things to freeze, making them blind.

I have not tested how well cold weapons work with liquid globs.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

armads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: May 19, 2017, 06:20:17 pm »

You can make a cold weapon the same way you made the molten metal weapon:

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLUE_FIRE:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
[SPEC_HEAT:410]
[MELTING_POINT:4600]
[BOILING_POINT:5200]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL:blue fire]
[STATE_COLOR:GAS:BLUE]
[STATE_COLOR:LIQUID:LIGHT_BLUE]

Adjust the spec heat and/or melting point to adjust the damage it deals.  The current numbers are tuned to cause serious frostbite damage to a human-sized target after two whole-body applications (via a vapor breath weapon used by a creature that is immune to cold).  A liquid glob results in a much smaller exposure, so if you go that rout you'll need to tune the damage accordingly.

Be warned that cold weapons don't seem to work all that well, in that they mostly seem to cause either no damage or death, with a very small middle-ground.  Smaller bodyparts are more affected in that case, so if you use the whole body application the victims eyes will be one of the first things to freeze, making them blind.

I have not tested how well cold weapons work with liquid globs.

alright. Where should I add that material template? Do I use that as a custom material somewhere and then call back to it in the creature's template? Or do I add that directly to the creature's template like I would a syndrome?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: May 20, 2017, 11:50:22 pm »

Drop that into the creature and it should work, look at the uh, hell I think the iron men use a similar method for their sickness causing inner gases?

As for the melting touch, I made an attack which was with an "invisible" bodypart (small/internal so it doesn't show in the unit view/target selection) that was tuned as a blade effect, had it made out of a really high melting point material and then set it to inject a liquid form of the material during slashes with it.

Stuff gets the material splashed across it and ignites pretty well. You can do the gas version but it'll end up all over you too.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: May 21, 2017, 02:51:40 pm »

How would I use ATTACK_FORCE_MULTIPLIER?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: May 21, 2017, 03:36:04 pm »

First up you take my previous advice with a grain of salt and double-check the token list to see that it's actually ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER (whoops. sorry about that).

A value of 1000 means a x1 multiplier to the attack's velocity value. Kangaroos (creature_temperate_new.txt) actually use the token for their hard-as-nails kicks to triple the amount of force they'd normally deserve.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: May 21, 2017, 05:06:38 pm »

I have yet another question! How would I make an interaction that turns people into an animated undead without needing them to be dead? Thanks!

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: May 21, 2017, 06:49:25 pm »

[CE_ADD_TAG:OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] Should work
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: May 22, 2017, 03:48:28 pm »

So, I know I should know the answer to this, but I'm having trouble remembering and I can't find a specific answer on the forums.

What exactly is the minimum requirement for a non-pet creature added as a member of an entity to be able to perform labors/have labors assigned to it?

I assume they must have one of/some combination of CAN_SPEAK/CANLEARN/INTELLIGENT.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: May 22, 2017, 05:14:00 pm »

I believe that you need only [CAN_LEARN] since I did something like that awhile ago, although it's been a while since I tested it. If you're looking to make the bare minimum amount of intelligence, I advise use of [SLOW_LEARNER] or a specifically identified learning token.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 372