Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 686646 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2310 on: December 21, 2016, 05:26:27 pm »

Darn, but on another topic, I'm going to be doing some !!SCIENCE!! with numbers of body parts on a single creature and also making some civs that (for the most part) don't use the bizarre body part numbers I'm trying. Wish me luck.

EDIT: So I tried to make a creature with 8 of like all the body parts and it exists, but it doesn't appear to attack or move
http://pastebin.com/G3i8G3Nq

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: December 22, 2016, 01:04:00 pm »

Hello again, everyone.

I have a plan for a new creature.
A humanoid with a blank face (no eyes, ears, hair, nose) other than a mouth with mandibles. It can equip weapons and armor.
I plan for this to be part of a multi-caste... "creature". Or a secret.

The humanoid with mandibles is the Shambler.

A humanoid with 4 tendrils that can lash an opponent and sharp teeth and red eyes (but still no nose, ears, or hair) is called a Whipper.

A large humanoid with horns, red skin, and only eyes on its otherwise fully blank head is called a Goliath.

Oh, and a shambler's bite will turn a person into a shambler. Like a werebeast.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: December 22, 2016, 01:04:42 pm »

Ptw
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

PanDados

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Legendary Loafer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: December 24, 2016, 07:14:13 pm »

Is there a way to make a custom workshop that is used to summon creatures?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: December 24, 2016, 08:15:17 pm »

So if I wanted to give a creature a covering made of say, steel or adamantine or turn it's bones into one, how would that work?

Zerim

• Bay Watcher
  • One man's past is another man's weapon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: December 24, 2016, 09:56:39 pm »

Hello, I need help defining multiple creatures in one. Basically I'm trying to make an entity that has multiple dominant creatures, so I figured the best shortcut for that would be just making multiple creatures and use that definition for the entity. My past attempts have made a crash, so if anyone has any good examples of that I'd be more than thankful.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: December 25, 2016, 12:47:13 am »

Multiple creatures in one entity will make the entity spawn with only one at a time, if it still works at all.

Zerim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: December 25, 2016, 03:37:57 am »

Yes I know, which is why I want multiple creatures in one creature definition.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: December 25, 2016, 04:35:09 am »

Yes I know, which is why I want multiple creatures in one creature definition.

You can't. If you want, you can make radically different castes, but they'll interbreed. Dunno if that's a problem.

Is there a way to make a custom workshop that is used to summon creatures?

No. Transformation, though, that'll work.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

PanDados

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: December 25, 2016, 01:09:07 pm »

Yes, but I don't want to have all surrounding Dwarves to transform into living, immobile landmines that explode in flames when they get hit by something...

Zerim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: December 25, 2016, 04:26:34 pm »

You can't. If you want, you can make radically different castes, but they'll interbreed. Dunno if that's a problem.

Yes, different castes is what I'm looking for. Are there any good examples of this? The interbreeding isn't an issue to me. It shouldn't be anyways.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: December 25, 2016, 07:17:31 pm »

Yes, different castes is what I'm looking for. Are there any good examples of this? The interbreeding isn't an issue to me. It shouldn't be anyways.

Try the Antmen. IIRC, they have some different castes, way more than others, with a number of differences. They should be a good example.

Yes, but I don't want to have all surrounding Dwarves to transform into living, immobile landmines that explode in flames when they get hit by something...

Why not? I don't think that'll be a problem, unless you have experience otherwise. It seems like more fun that way anyhow.

My game giveaway

PanDados

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: December 25, 2016, 10:12:00 pm »

Why not? I don't think that'll be a problem, unless you have experience otherwise. It seems like more fun that way anyhow.
Well, I'm making a ''Mo' Civs'' mod that adds 3 new civilizations AND makes Humans, Elves and Mechanis playable in Fort mode. (The Mechani are a automaton civilization I made up and are in the process of being modded in. They used to live in their own world, but their teleporting technology went REAL wrong and they got teleported into Dwarf World. Now they're living in Dwarf World alongside the dwarves and humans, and constantly declaring war against elves and goblins) and I'm trying to make it so that Mechanis have an exclusive workshop called something along the lines of ''Bot Assembly'' that is used to craft many types of ''lesser robots'' (that are actually metallic creatures) that follow a Mechani's commands and are used for many purposes (even though the main purpose is usually siege, !!FUN!! and fort-defense related), including:
  • GR-8-Zer, a small robot that looks like a lawnower and eats up grass really quickly so you can build without the worries that a plant will sprout to block your way/trade depot/crazy waterwheel shenaningans.
  • 4-Tress, a very resistant, wall-shaped robot that stays in place (immobile) basically acts like a living wall that fights back by firing a barrage of bullets every once in a while.
  • Sen-3, an immobile sentry turret (duh) that, while fragile, will be more than happy to make invaders eat up some bullets from it's cannon.
  • Land M-9, an immobile, fragile and little spider-like robot critter that explodes in flames if someone is unlucky enough to kill it. Considering It's not tough and has near-vermin size, It's not very hard to accidentally make it explode... (This is the ''Living, immobile landmine that explodes in flames when it gets hit by something'', by the way.
And the list goes on... (I'm planning to put like 12 lesser bots in the mod, but I need to figure out how to make a creature-creating workshop first)

Andddd that's why I don't want everything surrounding the workshop to turn into any of these lesser bots.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: December 25, 2016, 10:37:48 pm »

*Text*

Andddd that's why I don't want everything surrounding the workshop to turn into any of these lesser bots.

You can probably do something with dfhack, but not through regular raw editing. I'm not very familiar with dfhack though.

My game giveaway

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: December 25, 2016, 11:13:50 pm »

In the days of 34.11 landmines and other buildable automations were dealt with in two ways:

1) A syndrom rock that transformed only a specific kind of (non-dwarf) creature into the "landmine" creature. Often this was enhanced with DFHack to make it 100% reliable. Meph was an expert at this kind of thing if I remember correctly.
2) Using DFHack spawn-unit to create a new landmine unit where no unit existed before. This is simple, powerful, and reliable, but you then need DFHack...

If you choose the syndrome route (no DFHack) then use a contact syndrome (in addition or instead of inhaled), as creatures do not breath all that often. Creatures not hitting a "breath tick" while in the cloud was the #1 cause of unreliability (If I remember correctly anyway).

Talk to Meph, as he did a lot of this kind of thing in Masterwork.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 11:16:14 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 372