Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 683680 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2040 on: August 11, 2016, 11:56:21 am »

Okay, so this is the second time this has come up.
Is it a bad thing to have all of the body parts in the castes?
Because I just tried to do that, and there was some tissue problem that made it sound like the creature didn't exist. It might be related to my using the bronze colossus bit to replace all of the creature with adamantine, but I'm not so sure.

No, I think. The antmen have their tissue layers defined in the [SELECT_CASTE:ALL] . Just make castes named for the material type that that caste uses. But I might be wrong.

I didn't put the tissues in the castes, sorry if I made it sound that way. I put the body parts in the caste. Here, I'll just put up the creature-

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The plan is to have a bunch of castes with various body types- Tentacle monstrosities, serpents, the sort.
A material must be defined before it can be used in a tissue, and at first glance it looks like you did that.
Bodyparts must exist before you start fiddling with their layers.  Here you have things out of order.  You can define your castes in the spot you'd typically see a simple BODY definition, then select all castes to continue.  If there are further caste-level things you'd like to do, then select each caste again in turn.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: August 11, 2016, 12:21:20 pm »

Okay, so this is the second time this has come up.
Is it a bad thing to have all of the body parts in the castes?
Because I just tried to do that, and there was some tissue problem that made it sound like the creature didn't exist. It might be related to my using the bronze colossus bit to replace all of the creature with adamantine, but I'm not so sure.

No, I think. The antmen have their tissue layers defined in the [SELECT_CASTE:ALL] . Just make castes named for the material type that that caste uses. But I might be wrong.

I didn't put the tissues in the castes, sorry if I made it sound that way. I put the body parts in the caste. Here, I'll just put up the creature-

The plan is to have a bunch of castes with various body types- Tentacle monstrosities, serpents, the sort.
A material must be defined before it can be used in a tissue, and at first glance it looks like you did that.
Bodyparts must exist before you start fiddling with their layers.  Here you have things out of order.  You can define your castes in the spot you'd typically see a simple BODY definition, then select all castes to continue.  If there are further caste-level things you'd like to do, then select each caste again in turn.

Ah, I didn't realize ya had to have things in a certain order. I suppose that makes sense.
Thanks, I'll go ahead and fix that.
Er, atleast I think that's right.

windre0

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Yes, I'd like a one way ticket to Flavour Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: August 11, 2016, 01:20:17 pm »

Basically I am trying to change the size of black mamba men to be the same size as dwarves. I looked in the creature_tropical_new.txt and noticed there was only body size parameters under the black mamba itself, not the black mamba man or large black mamba. Then i remembered that it works on a conversion table. I might sound stupid but i tried to do some math with the sizes of animals and such to see what the tables multiply by, but gave up because I want to change the black mamba man size itself without affecting the black mambas size.

bringing this up again, would really like to know
"What?" ~ Ronald Reagan

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: August 11, 2016, 03:13:35 pm »

Basically I am trying to change the size of black mamba men to be the same size as dwarves. I looked in the creature_tropical_new.txt and noticed there was only body size parameters under the black mamba itself, not the black mamba man or large black mamba. Then i remembered that it works on a conversion table. I might sound stupid but i tried to do some math with the sizes of animals and such to see what the tables multiply by, but gave up because I want to change the black mamba man size itself without affecting the black mambas size.

Only thing I can think of is to just set up the black mamba so it doesn't rely on the variant stuff. But I tend not to mess with any of that, so I'm probably not the best person to give advice on this.

Also, I'm afraid moving the castes above the tissue and material templates didn't fix anything. Once I moved all of the body parts over they ran into the same problem of not really existing. Here's the modified creature-

-snippity-

Maybe I just misunderstood what I was supposed to do to fix it. I try to avoid caste-based stuff.
If nobody knows what to do with this I'll just resign myself to setting up multiple creatures and making each one a possible pop for the entity.

Wooooops. Woopsidaisy. I did a really stupid thing with the creature and I just saw it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 03:23:42 pm by ThatZommy »
Er, atleast I think that's right.

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: August 11, 2016, 06:14:08 pm »

What mistakes could cause a creature to fall over right away every time in arena without causing any error messages? Edit: On spawn the creatures all seem to have "ability to stand lost."
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 06:26:48 pm by Managrimm »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: August 11, 2016, 06:24:20 pm »

Is there a way to actually tell if the tissue modifications I made are actually working?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: August 11, 2016, 06:32:47 pm »

Having no functional stance parts, I would guess. Although that's also true of snakes, but snakes don't fall over.

Could try adding BODY_SIZE:12:0:70000] to them after the creature variations have been applied.

Is there a way to actually tell if the tissue modifications I made are actually working?

You'd only know outright if you changed something that would be blatantly obvious, such as name strings of the tissue/meat when the animal is injured/butchered, or something equally visible. If it's just a change to the numbers, like vascular or healing rate, you'll want to compare the change between two identical creatures; one with the changes and one without. Set up a dozen of each and whack them all with a stick/dagger and see if you can spot the difference between the two.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: August 11, 2016, 06:37:48 pm »

I tried to turn the tissues of cats into adamantine.... no idea if it works

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: August 11, 2016, 06:42:33 pm »

Oh... uhm, stab/slash them with a copper dagger. If they're really made of adamantine, it should glance away.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: August 11, 2016, 06:46:46 pm »

welp judging by how in arena mode the cat tore the dwarf I controled to shreds and like you said the dagger glanced off I'm going to say it worked.... now to replace it's blood with molten iron for teh luls....

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: August 11, 2016, 06:47:18 pm »

Having no functional stance parts, I would guess. Although that's also true of snakes, but snakes don't fall over.

What does a body part need to be a functional stance part? Currently it has four feet connected directly to its upper body (I'm making a Caterpie). They seems to be connected and tissued properly because the errorlog is keeping quiet, but he falls over every time I spawn him and his status says he's lost the ability to stand.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: August 11, 2016, 06:52:05 pm »

So do adamantine short swords normally glance away from adamantine things?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: August 11, 2016, 07:00:24 pm »

What mistakes could cause a creature to fall over right away every time in arena without causing any error messages? Edit: On spawn the creatures all seem to have "ability to stand lost."

Does it have a brain? Unless you give it the ability to exist without a brain, they tend to be unable to attack or breathe, and just fall over on spawn.

IIRC, armours hit with materials of similar quality can be deflected often, though it depends on contact area and velocity. Smaller contact areas pierce more easily. Not entirely certain, though. Haven't played with materials in the current version.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 07:04:00 pm by BlackFlyme »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: August 11, 2016, 07:06:02 pm »

Think so, yeah. Defender wins in a tie.
I make Spellcrafts!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: August 11, 2016, 08:07:24 pm »

What BlackFlyme said. Unless it has NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT, it needs a brain.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 372