Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 683684 times)

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2010 on: August 07, 2016, 06:18:16 pm »

If I were to make a guess, perhaps the syndrome timing stuff is just too short.

I tried that. The syndrome seems to take effect, but...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

... the symptoms still aren't appearing. The humans I tested the attack with aren't swelling up and blistering. Is there something I'm doing wrong still?
"Science isn't about why. Science is about WHY NOT?"- Cave Johnson, Portal 2

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: August 07, 2016, 06:25:25 pm »

And now the human is out cold- at least one effect is working.

After much testing, it turns out that, apparently, the poison only works when I'm observing them in fortress mode- or arena mode in this case. And their only getting knocked out by the pain. Could someone tell me what's going on?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 06:44:51 pm by Z49000 »

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: August 07, 2016, 06:28:29 pm »

Could a material emission be used to harmlessly drop the fruit or would that hurt people?

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: August 07, 2016, 06:47:05 pm »

Could a material emission be used to harmlessly drop the fruit or would that hurt people?

Maybe. Although you could use [LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS] instead.

But what do I know?

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: August 07, 2016, 06:57:50 pm »

But what do I know?

I don't really want it to require a nest box.

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: August 07, 2016, 07:07:27 pm »

But what do I know?

I don't really want it to require a nest box.

If ya want it in fortress mode, you might be able to rename nest boxes to something like "Fruit basket". Maybe make a new nest box that...
Or maybe you should stick to the material emission idea.
Er, atleast I think that's right.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: August 07, 2016, 07:12:57 pm »

You could also make a shearable tissue that is edible, or works as the reagent to produce the fruit you wanted.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: August 07, 2016, 08:05:21 pm »

Anyways...
Just tested the poison- Apparently everyone but elves are affected by the venom- still only in fortress and still the only sympton that activates is pain. Is there anything wrong with the poison?

So is there a way to make the poison actually effect everything, both in fortress and adventure mode, or am I just beating a dead horse?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 08:10:00 pm by Z49000 »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: August 08, 2016, 11:49:06 am »

Bruising, swelling, and blistering all require a BP string of some sort to tell them what body part and tissue to apply it to. You can use :LOCALIZED:VASCULAR_ONLY and it will affect tissues with blood vessels on body parts the spit lands on.

Pain can also accept BP tokens but it's not a requirement, apparently.

Keep in mind that heavy swelling will result in tissue necrosis. I would suggest keeping the swelling severity low, or your "not very effective" syndrome will have a near-100% fatality rate unless the tissue is surgically excised by a doctor.

The timing definitely isn't the issue; your timing strings are correct in both examples you posted. 9000 time units is about 4.5 days in dwarf mode, you can use DWF_STRETCH:x to multiply that timeframe if its too short. One issue might be the PEAK value; the syndrome builds up to that point and then lessens afterwards, so it could be everyone is passing out at around 200 and then by the time 3000 comes around they're barely feeling it anymore because it's fading away. Could put the peak value closer to the end value, and then it will build up over a longer period and rapidly subside.

But what do I know?

item-cloud material emissions will produce pools of items laying on the ground, but I'm not sure dwarves can even pick up those items. Maybe if they're dropped in a fruit/plant gathering zone and an herbalist gets to them? Dunno. Otherwise, your dwarves will try to clean up the pools as if they're a blood spill.

You can have it periodically (say every full moon) transform into another caste of the creature which has two excess body parts; one connected to the body which has only one tissue layer which is made out of a substance that is gaseous at room temperature and thus boils, and the second connected to the first and made out of the "fruit" you desire and a skin (or muscle... whatever) covering it, which will fall off when the first boils away. Your dwarves will haul that second body part to a refuse stockpile as a discarded body part, and if the creature isn't intelligent will then butcher it; yielding the "fruit" and a skin. This takes about 800 ticks in fort mode for most body parts to boil away, so a transformation that lasts for 1000 ticks should give enough time.
It needs a skin layer, or at least some other tissue layer, because the game doesn't like single-tissue body parts being butchered. If there are two or more tissue layers then they can butcher it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: August 08, 2016, 01:11:26 pm »

Do personality values do anything on pets?

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: August 08, 2016, 01:39:11 pm »

Bruising, swelling, and blistering all require a BP string of some sort to tell them what body part and tissue to apply it to. You can use :LOCALIZED:VASCULAR_ONLY and it will affect tissues with blood vessels on body parts the spit lands on.

Pain can also accept BP tokens but it's not a requirement, apparently.

Keep in mind that heavy swelling will result in tissue necrosis. I would suggest keeping the swelling severity low, or your "not very effective" syndrome will have a near-100% fatality rate unless the tissue is surgically excised by a doctor.

It seems to affect humanoids in "fortress", but when I assume control of one of them, the spit doesn't affect them. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: August 08, 2016, 02:06:23 pm »

Oh, another question: Is there a guide explaining relsizes anywhere? I'm making a creature with weird proportions and I can't make heads or tails of what relsize values I should give to the various bodyparts.

This guy:

So if his upper body and lower body are both 1,000, collectively making them 2,000, should his head be about 4000? Is there any easy way to figure out what flat pieces like his ears should be?

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: August 08, 2016, 03:26:28 pm »

The draconet spit doesn't work on adventurers- no ill effects whatsoever. Is there a bug that causes this?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 07:48:15 pm by Z49000 »

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: August 08, 2016, 11:53:22 pm »

I was wondering if there are a good way to keep creatures from reproducing.
Might try to start on a DF lore-extension-y mod, and I'd like something like Armokian angels in a civ. But I'd rather have them be immortal and never reproduce, for funzies.

Also, I hate to bring this up again, but does anybody have any idea why creatures can't have the CAN_LEARN tag if there are only a few in the raws? Cause that's really holding back my "From scratch" mod.
Er, atleast I think that's right.

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: August 09, 2016, 12:18:09 am »

I was wondering if there are a good way to keep creatures from reproducing.
Might try to start on a DF lore-extension-y mod, and I'd like something like Armokian angels in a civ. But I'd rather have them be immortal and never reproduce, for funzies.

Also, I hate to bring this up again, but does anybody have any idea why creatures can't have the CAN_LEARN tag if there are only a few in the raws? Cause that's really holding back my "From scratch" mod.

I think you can add the [ORIENTATION] tags to the castes.
The reason why so little creatures use [CAN_LEARN] is to make it so that your dwarves can butcher those creatures.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 372