Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 686364 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1020 on: February 04, 2015, 01:10:47 pm »

Badger Storm, although there is no vanilla bison creature it does appear in the string dump and you can get forgotten beasts like "a bison twisted into humanoid form" so it could be a duplicated raw with something hardcoded.

Although it's inconvenient, try removing all confounding factors to isolate the problem.

1. Start with a clean install of DF (or your favorite starter pack).
2. Edit your new raw files in a completely different directory, and append something like _BSTORM to the end of every token you create (creatures, bodyplans, etc.).
3. Close the editor.
4. Copy the files into your fresh DF install under raw/objects.
5. Delete or rename any game log or error log that might be present.
6. Gen a new world.

For changes, restart at step 2 until you are sure the raws are working.

My guess is that you're running the game while your text editor has a file open, but it's best to go all the way to the baseline to eliminate confounds until you have a better handle of what's happening.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: February 04, 2015, 02:49:28 pm »

Well, my text editor is open pretty much all the time because I'm either modding stuff or writing RP prompts.  I had no idea it could cause problems!

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: February 04, 2015, 02:55:20 pm »

It shouldn't; I leave my text editor open when testing and receive no problems.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: February 04, 2015, 03:56:31 pm »

It only causes problems if your text editor makes backup copies of your textfiles.  Some do it only while the file is open (a "tempfile") while others leave the backups around permanently.  The game sees the backup file and reads it like another raw file... which then causes duplicate raw issues.

I use Notepad++ which doesn't do any of that backup stuff (at least not by default, it has a lot of options I don't use).
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: February 04, 2015, 04:06:50 pm »

I've only seen backups a couple times, but deleting them never helped.  I recently set TextEdit to "never" take backups but I don't know if that's helped the issue any either.  I just searched "backup," "autosave," and "quicksave" on my comp and no raws came up, nor for "tempfile".

My errorlog is incredibly unhelpful, as either it says nothing or somehow I mess up something procedurally generated.

I've tried fresh starts, but the problem persists and the errorlog says nothing about it.  I guess it wouldn't hurt though?

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: February 04, 2015, 05:58:33 pm »

Well, to see if it's conflicting with a procedurally-generated thing, change the identification thing (you should know what I mean by this) to something else, preferably something irrelevant.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: February 04, 2015, 06:54:49 pm »

You mean as in like BIRD_BIRDNAME or FISH_FISHNAME? 

It started, oddly enough, after I tried to make chinchillas shearable.  Though I did it in an already-running game, so that might be the problem.

Currently collecting my creatures in a fresh file, adding a little tag to the end of their creature names to differentiate them from the originals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: February 04, 2015, 07:27:03 pm »

No, something like BISON_BADGER_STORM. I name all of my stuff like that.

It is almost surely a problem with your text editor if every edit you make causes this problem.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: February 04, 2015, 07:32:11 pm »

I added _BSTORM to the end of everything.  I use the default TextEdit that comes with OSX.  Is there a better, less infuriating text editor available for Mac?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #1029 on: February 05, 2015, 12:46:39 am »

What, exactly, is the difference between START_BIOME and EXCLUSIVE_START_BIOME?

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: February 05, 2015, 01:43:32 am »

If I'm not mistaken, EXCLUSIVE_START_BIOME forces the entity in question to spawn in the specified biome within the string, where multiple START_BIOMEs mean that the entity in question can originate in any of the biomes specified under multiple entries. Somewhat redundant when the same can be accomplished by simply only listing one starting biome, but eh.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: February 05, 2015, 03:17:35 am »

Well, yeah, that's what I'm wondering.  START_BIOME is an old tag, while EXCLUSIVE_START_BIOME is new for this version.  It doesn't make sense to add a new tag that does the same thing as an old tag only with less flexibility.

The wiki suggests that it may be tied to SETTLEMENT_BIOME, but I don't see any real explanation about how it works.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: February 05, 2015, 03:41:11 am »

You mean as in like BIRD_BIRDNAME or FISH_FISHNAME? 

It started, oddly enough, after I tried to make chinchillas shearable.  Though I did it in an already-running game, so that might be the problem.

Currently collecting my creatures in a fresh file, adding a little tag to the end of their creature names to differentiate them from the originals.

Try posting your raw folder here if you're still having problems.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: February 05, 2015, 03:44:26 am »

Well, yeah, that's what I'm wondering.  START_BIOME is an old tag, while EXCLUSIVE_START_BIOME is new for this version.  It doesn't make sense to add a new tag that does the same thing as an old tag only with less flexibility.

The wiki suggests that it may be tied to SETTLEMENT_BIOME, but I don't see any real explanation about how it works.

Settlement biome allows the civ to expand on these biomes after starting. My guess is that exclusive does not allow the game to fall back on another settlement settings and skip the entity.

I added _BSTORM to the end of everything.  I use the default TextEdit that comes with OSX.  Is there a better, less infuriating text editor available for Mac?

Did you try sublime text? It's a paid app but the trial version has no limitation outside of a regular reminder to buy a license.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: February 05, 2015, 04:19:58 am »

Hmm, could be.  Does SETTLEMENT_BIOME work with sites other than CAVE_DETAILED?  Or is it a dwarf-specific hack?
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 372