Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 683046 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #4305 on: February 02, 2020, 04:24:06 pm »

Is there a master list which tags are caste-level and which are creature-level?
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: February 02, 2020, 04:48:19 pm »

I can't start (in adventure mode) as a member of a modded civ I made. Their site type is caves, but I also made kobolds playable and it's completely possible to start as a kobold, so the caves thing can't be why. The civ is from 44.12 and was completely functional at that point.

Edit: Nevermind.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 07:39:02 pm by ChaosPotato »
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

Earthbound Modder

• Bay Watcher
  • Sewer Brew Graphical Overhaul Mod, v.50.01 and up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: February 02, 2020, 07:08:36 pm »

I can't start (in adventure mode) as a member of a modded civ I made. Their site type is caves, but I also made kobolds playable and it's completely possible to start as a kobold, so the caves thing can't be why. The civ is from 44.12 and was completely functional at that point.

Does the civ have the entity token [ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE]? Additionally, is the biome that the civ spawns in present in the world?

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: February 02, 2020, 07:11:34 pm »

Does the civ have the entity token [ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE]? Additionally, is the biome that the civ spawns in present in the world?
It was just a save-based problem actually. I started a new game and I can now play as them again.
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

Earthbound Modder

• Bay Watcher
  • Sewer Brew Graphical Overhaul Mod, v.50.01 and up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: February 02, 2020, 07:38:03 pm »

Does anyone know if it is possible to create a regional summoning effect that targets creatures? I've tried several combinations and nothing seems to work yet.

Logariter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: February 03, 2020, 02:24:34 pm »

Does [MAX_EDGE] affect scratch type attacks? (Where it uses a tissue layer, and is edged)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4311 on: February 03, 2020, 03:30:23 pm »

Does [MAX_EDGE] affect scratch type attacks? (Where it uses a tissue layer, and is edged)
Probably does.
Here's 0.40.xx combat calculator discussion including nails and "how much X for bodypart to get pulped":
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142372.0

Could quickly arena test two dwarf species, both having only scratch attack, and one species having much more sharp MAX_EDGE material on nails.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

chipathingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: February 03, 2020, 08:45:33 pm »

Are there any guides for interaction modding in the last or current versions apart from the wiki? I'm trying to make my own mod but I'm just getting confused.

While I'm at it, if you had an interaction with I_TARGET:A:whatever, what does the A do? I've seen B and C there as well and I can't find what they mean anywhere
Author of Fantastic Fantasy Fortress (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=180748.0)

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: February 04, 2020, 03:49:17 am »

While I'm at it, if you had an interaction with I_TARGET:A:whatever, what does the A do? I've seen B and C there as well and I can't find what they mean anywhere
A, B, C etc. are identifiers used to label the targets for an interaction, and work the same way as they do in reaction raws. They can be anything you like in the interaction definition, but the can do interaction code must use whatever identifier is defined in the interaction definition. Lemme try and unpack the cat's head bump interaction as an example:

The following is the interaction definition for the cat's bump:

[INTERACTION:BP_BUMP]
   [I_SOURCE:CREATURE_ACTION]
   [I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
      [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_BP]
   [I_TARGET:B:CREATURE]
      [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]

[IT_MANUAL_INPUT:creature]
   [I_EFFECT:CONTACT]
      [IE_TARGET:A]
      [IE_TARGET:B]
      [IE_IMMEDIATE]

From this, we can see that there is a target called A, a creature whose provided body part is going to be used in the interaction, and B, that must be a creature. The effect of the interaction (outlined in I_EFFECT) is to make the thing designated as A (so the creature A's given body part) make contact with target B (which is a creature).

Then within the cat's creature definition, it has its own can do interaction which governs how it selects the targets A and B to feed into that interaction:
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:BP_BUMP]
   [CDI:ADV_NAME:Head bump]
   [CDI:USAGE_HINT:GREETING]
   [CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD]
   [CDI:VERB:head-bump:head-bumps:bump heads]
   [CDI:CAN_BE_MUTUAL]
   [CDI:TARGET:A:SELF_ONLY]
   [CDI:TARGET:B:TOUCHABLE]
   [CDI:TARGET_RANGE:B:1]
   [CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:B:1]

[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:20]

This section is where we define what body part is being used as the CONTEXT_BP in the interaction. Because the interaction itself only cares that it is a body part, we could use whatever body part we wanted in this CDI.
This section is where we define what creature is set to be A (and it must be a creature, because that's what the interaction has said that it is expecting for A). Because the CDI says that A is going to be set to SELF_ONLY, that means that the cat doing this interaction is going to be selecting itself to be A in this instance.
This outlines what creature the cat selects to be B. It says that there must only be 1 target for B, and that it must be touchable and within 1 range of the cat using this interaction. Because the interaction itself only cares that it's being given a creature for B, we could edit this CDI entry in a number of ways. We could remove the touchable requirement, change the range of how far away the creature can be, or make it so the cat can select any number of creatures to be the target B.

If we wanted to make the labels more descriptive, we could change the interaction definition so that A is instead called BUMPER, and B is called TARGET. Of course, after changing what the ids are called in the interaction, we'd also have to change the can do interaction to use BUMPER and TARGET instead of A and B.

I kinda went on a bit of a tangent there just to get to that simple explanation, I hope that was possible to follow :P

tl;dr - Stuff like A, B, C, etc. are just arbitrary labels that can be anything. Interaction definitions define what each of those targets should be (like a creature, location, etc.), and can do interaction definitions define what a creature chooses to be each of those targets.

Taras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: February 05, 2020, 01:29:48 pm »

What if I make civ that worship force and sphere of chaos/deformity?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: February 05, 2020, 03:36:51 pm »

They kinda do that anyway, at random. Doesn't really do much.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: February 05, 2020, 03:51:30 pm »

What if I make civ that worship force and sphere of chaos/deformity?

You can alter also how frequent each sphere will be. And I wouldn't say it doesn't do much, it's actually really useful in conjunction with interactions.

I have modded frog men civ that has water among their worshipped spheres, and hydromancy magic school. And it almost guarantee you that slab with these interactions between will appear in the world, after some decades.

That's really cool, because other magic schools I modded that are not tied to civ via spheres are not guaranteed to appear in a new world. Like, pyromancy does, but more peculiat ones, like disease or blight haven't that great chances. Sometimes, even after 250 years you can't find them in the world.

Slab interactions are great fun. Note that if you have creature with sphere and POWER tokens, it can also serve as a source for a slab. This just feel awesome, like some guy worships a dragon and in return the megabeast makes them a pyromancer...

And now with these new tokens, spells are going to be such fun! But I'll wait till more stable release. Hope I helped at least a bit.

Logariter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: February 06, 2020, 01:18:21 pm »

Can you make a creature caste which is never born, but other members of the species can become this caste by syndromes?

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #4318 on: February 06, 2020, 03:25:43 pm »

Can you make a creature caste which is never born, but other members of the species can become this caste by syndromes?
I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think so.  You can make a caste rare enough that you'll probably never see it born by giving it POP_RATIO:1 and the other castes something like POP_RATIO:500.  But if I recall correctly, POP_RATIO:0 isn't valid.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: February 06, 2020, 03:50:17 pm »

I think definitely yes, but the issue is with the syndrome. Because such caste could be achieved only in-game, it would be absent in the world generation.
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 372