Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 683156 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #4200 on: November 25, 2019, 08:31:48 pm »

Brolol, I see nothing explicitly wrong with those creatures, no idea what could be causing them to crash the game. Maybe try remaking them anew?

Well, removing [INTELLIGENT] fixes the arena crashes. I am still not sure why that tag is causing the crashes though. I will continue testing.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: November 25, 2019, 09:58:01 pm »

Try giving the ants these tokens from the spiders:
   [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
   [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]

The game crashes if your creatures are too individually similar. I've found that tags like that are essential for keeping the game from crashing.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: November 25, 2019, 10:19:22 pm »

The game crashes if your creatures are too individually similar. I've found that tags like that are essential for keeping the game from crashing.

Interesting thanks. I never would have guessed this but it makes sense after I removed almost every tag and the problem didn't resolve itself. I will try and add a bunch of variation and test it again.

EDIT: although thinking about it, do animal men in vanilla have any variations? They did not seem to cause any crashes when I tested them earlier. How do they get around that?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 10:21:53 pm by brolol.404 »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: November 25, 2019, 10:38:47 pm »

It only matters to civilized creatures. I'm not sure what the arena crash is.

*Oh, by the way, you don't need a lot of variation. Just a bit solves the problem.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 12:48:30 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: November 26, 2019, 10:58:18 am »

Never would have thought of such a thing. What a weird bug...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lurksquatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: November 26, 2019, 12:23:36 pm »

Sorry if this question has already been asked (I'm not reading through 280+ pages to find out lol), but is there any way to make a creature build-able in a workshop? Like if I wanted a robot or automaton or the like? I'm thinking not, but I thought I'd check before changing what I have in mind.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: November 26, 2019, 05:13:41 pm »

No, you can't unfortunately. Theres a dfhack script/plugin for spawning a creature with a reaction or other action as a trigger, used in masterwork and the succubus mod. Or you can use a transformation on a different kind of creature, which is what I've been using for some things.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lurksquatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: November 26, 2019, 06:30:27 pm »

No, you can't unfortunately. Theres a dfhack script/plugin for spawning a creature with a reaction or other action as a trigger, used in masterwork and the succubus mod. Or you can use a transformation on a different kind of creature, which is what I've been using for some things.

Ah. I kinda figured as much lol. I'm not interested in using dfhack, and it wouldn't make sense for what I'm doing to transform other creatures, so I guess I'm out of luck. Thanks anyway.

MachoNacho

• Bay Watcher
  • pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: November 26, 2019, 06:48:29 pm »

removed
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 08:33:04 pm by MachoNacho »
pug

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: November 26, 2019, 07:43:08 pm »

Awesome. This completely fixed the worldgen crashes. I created 30 worlds with 0 crashes. Thanks! :)

Now I just have to figure out the black ant/harvestmen arena crashes...

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: November 26, 2019, 08:28:03 pm »

Do they crash the game immediately upon being spawned, or when you do something with them? Also, could raw duping be the issue?
My mods and forum games.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: November 26, 2019, 09:03:10 pm »

Do they crash the game immediately upon being spawned, or when you do something with them? Also, could raw duping be the issue?
It is immediately when they are spawned, but not every time. Sometimes I can spawn 1, 2 or 3 before it crashes.

I just double checked and there are no duplicate copies of the creatures. If I add INTELLIGENT to any creature in the mod they crash the game sometimes on spawn as well.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: November 26, 2019, 09:08:49 pm »

Would you mind PMing me your current version of the mod? I bet I can find the problem, but it's difficult to guess secondhand like this.
My mods and forum games.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: November 26, 2019, 09:35:38 pm »

Would you mind PMing me your current version of the mod? I bet I can find the problem, but it's difficult to guess secondhand like this.
PM sent! thanks!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: November 26, 2019, 09:39:55 pm »

I'll look at it now. Thanks for letting me see it!

*Alright, I thought at first it might be the tileset, but running the game without it didn't change the result. Hm. It's also weird that simply encountering the ants in the world doesn't crash the game.

**I got a crash when I tried to embark. I wonder if the bug relates to spawning ants without a history. That doesn't seem right though, because adventurers can spawn fine.

***I tried giving them slightly more varied personalities, that didn't help. You say the bug relates directly to their sentience?

****Ok, so I was able to get bark beetles to crash the game by making them sentient. It's definitely something to do with that. Next I'll give them CAN_LEARN and CAN_SPEAK separately, to see which half of that is the problem.

*****They worked fine with CAN_SPEAK, but crashed when they had CAN_LEARN. Since the bark beetles crashed too, I'm thinking that the problem most likely relates to their XP collection.

******Hey, although it makes realistic sense, you might want to disable FLIER on drones for the sake of their pathfinding for now. Flying sentients tend to break. I really need to go back to Jawa Fortress and change that there too.

*******This is really confusing. I've just about stripped down the black ants to the bare minimum complexity necessary, and they still crash when they CAN_LEARN. It's not impossible to have sentient bugs, I checked Jawa Fortress' Geonosians to verify that. I wonder if they're missing something essential to being sentient, rather than having something added that's poisoning them.

********I went into another folder, and tried out giant cave spiders with the INTELLIGENT tag and no other changes. They worked fine.

*********Hey, now here's some progress! From what we've learned so far, the problem is something shared by every creature in the mod when it becomes sentient, but not by any vanilla creature. It's also not inherent to being a bug, since I tried giving one of the bird megabeasts sentience and it crashed too. I figured it might be the modded material and tissue templates, and reset those to vanilla. After that, I was able to spawn all the sentient black ants I wanted. Will research more.

**********Looks like you didn't change anything in tissue_template_default. That should narrow the problem down.

***********Hm. A new folder with only that change still crashes.

************And now the original folder crashed. Maybe I just got lucky before?

*************I had the idea to import a vanilla dwarf into the mod. The dwarf crashed the game too, which supports my theory that no individual creature is wrong. It's something else, shared between them all.

**************I have to quit for tonight. I'll come back later, if you haven't figured out the problem before me. To reiterate, the issue effects sentient creatures in this mod in particular. I was able to get most of the features working by moving the files one by one into a new folder, but that lost the tileset. I wonder if that's involved.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 12:50:55 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 372