Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 686347 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2670 on: May 30, 2017, 09:10:07 pm »

The answers are mentioned--"Seems not" and "Seems also not", which are correct.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: June 03, 2017, 02:37:16 pm »

Quick question: Is it possible to set an alt tile to a sprite defined in an art/graphics file? To have a creature therefore flash between two sprites?

I assume not from searching the wiki, but figured I'd check.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: June 03, 2017, 09:00:00 pm »

[CREATURE_TILE:109][ALTTILE:110][COLOR:1:0:1]

out of meph's 32x32 tileset he said he had animated the birds and several others... I just never really tried and look that close at critters.  I'm guessing it worked...
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: June 03, 2017, 09:21:38 pm »

That's not an art/graphics file

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: June 04, 2017, 12:27:22 pm »

That's not an art/graphics file

my bad.  I'm just now getting into the graphics.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: June 04, 2017, 10:59:51 pm »

Alright, so, I got a couple critters I haven't quite gotten working right. Which is annoying since apart from testing a bunch of reactions I otherwise have an almost working mod I can release.

They aren't broken, per se, but this one apparently is having issues with its throat and neck, according to the error log.

I'd like to know what need to be fixed before I go making the different variations of this little bugger, since I seem to have gotten everything else right.

Code: [Select]
*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_terrorbird.txt"
BIRD_TERROR_COMMON:Body Token Recognized But Could Not Connect: THROAT
BIRD_TERROR_COMMON:Body Token Recognized But Could Not Connect: NECK

Spoiler: The Terrorbird (click to show/hide)

This next one was made by someone else for me, and it seems to not like how its claws are behaving or something.

Code: [Select]
*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_tribal_dinosaur.txt"
RAPTOR:Tissue layer not added because no BP found: BY_CATEGORY:TOE:TALON
RAPTOR:Attack SCRATCH seems to have correct format but could not find proper BPs in any caste, so not added

Spoiler: The Raptor (click to show/hide)

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #2676 on: June 05, 2017, 01:44:23 am »

For the Terrorbird, try changing HUMANOID_ARMLESS in the body definition to HUMANOID_ARMLESS_NECK and see if that works better.  For the Raptor, I think you need to give it some toes - anywhere between 2TOES and 5TOES should work from body_default.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Fish Preferred

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes salmon for their taste.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: June 05, 2017, 08:13:04 pm »

Any idea how I can get animals and animal people to eat vermin that they should logically be able to eat (like an echidna man eating common ground insects). GOBBLE_VERMIN has no apparrent effect.
Knowledge is not as simple as having the right answers. Knowledge is a way of finding them.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: June 06, 2017, 07:58:47 am »

Look in the raws for cats, there's something like [VERMIN_HUNTER] or the like their raws that causes them to kill and eat vermin.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Fish Preferred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: June 06, 2017, 08:49:53 pm »

Cats don't eat vermin either; they just kill them and leave the corpses around to frighten passersby.

Apparently, the only thing that will actually consume vermin in vanilla is a person on the brink of death by starvation, but that appears to be hardcoded behaviour and immediately stops as soon as they're back to Very Hungry. I'm trying to make ground bugs and the like an acceptable, preferable, or obligate food for some creatures, but to do that I need to know what differentiates them from edible things.
Knowledge is not as simple as having the right answers. Knowledge is a way of finding them.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: June 07, 2017, 03:40:09 pm »

[ROOT_AROUND] seems to be related to what you want.

"Creature will occasionally root around in the grass, looking for insects. Used for flavor in Adventure Mode, spawns vermin edible by this creature in Fortress Mode."

:::EDIT:::
So now that I'm looking at the vermin tokens, what happens if you give bronze colossi [VERMIN_GROUNDER]? Will they just pop out of the floor in fortresses, slug a dwarf, then pop back down like some kind of sadistic metal diglett?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 03:47:55 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Fish Preferred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: June 07, 2017, 09:10:57 pm »

The Root Around ability just does the same thing as searching (L in adventure mode). It reveals small ground bugs that can be picked up, but not eaten.

I tried using [EDIBLE_RAW] from plants, and [COOKABLE_LIVE] from fish, but neither work. Removing [NOT_BUTCHERABLE] works in a sense, but only after butchering, which requires a cutting tool/workshop and turns an ordinary snail into a big heap of edible parts.

Childish Killer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: June 10, 2017, 02:57:08 pm »

So i created simple civ, and all seem to work fine, except one thing, when i go to let's say bandit camp and start fighting there, they just run away or yield instantly, very rarely fighting back.
So the question is what could be the reason of that?

Aurum System

• Bay Watcher
  • (Gai, and others) (They/Them collectively)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: June 10, 2017, 08:09:42 pm »

If your civ's bandits are running away maybe try removing [BENIGN] from the civ's creatures, this might also make this civ very aggressive.

Otherwise if other bandits are running away from your civ, maybe check to see if your civ is made up of big scary monsters.

I have an unrelated question, is their a good way to make a creature undergo metamorphosis as it ages?

Fish Preferred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: June 11, 2017, 12:05:38 am »

Maybe give their blood a transformative syndrome with the SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE being themselves and a reeeeeeeeally long start time?
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 372