Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 683690 times)

Thatotherguy23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1950 on: July 20, 2016, 04:56:26 am »

Would it be possible to add a pseudo-second player/nemesis race to the caverns/lowest cavern? One which has basically the same mechanics; gather resources, plants, cut trees, mine, smelt, craft, hunt, farm and eventually attack you. Could be thought of as a hivemind. Sorry, but I am really itching to finally be able to send out a force to attack other sites, and this is an idea to alleviate the anticipation if you had an enemy working and building up to face you.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: July 20, 2016, 06:13:44 am »

Would it be possible to add a pseudo-second player/nemesis race to the caverns/lowest cavern? One which has basically the same mechanics; gather resources, plants, cut trees, mine, smelt, craft, hunt, farm and eventually attack you. Could be thought of as a hivemind. Sorry, but I am really itching to finally be able to send out a force to attack other sites, and this is an idea to alleviate the anticipation if you had an enemy working and building up to face you.

To be blunt without DFhack. No.

At the moment there are no preliminary purely underground 'civs' because its difficult to have a civilisation settle that you can't see, partially on a gameplay basis of being unaware where they are (which might contribute to !!fun!! but also be extremely annoying and buggy if it overpopulates the world besides getting trashed from constant mega-beast attacks, the talk of the 'hill/deep dwarves' would be a example of a underground civilisation but that's a development goal, rather than a modding goal.

Basically, [LAYER_LINKED] (responsible for animalmen that HAVE to have a subterreanean biome forming tribal clusters underground) outright denies aboveground civs. You can modify animalmen however and give them better equipment if it helps you achieve your objective at all.

DFhack simulates a underground start civ by teleporting all the dwarves and the wagon underground at game start, for a player fortress experience its possible, but for a worldgen civilisation physically living out of view of the map it isn't.

HellaJeff7312

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: July 20, 2016, 02:33:36 pm »

Hey all. First time posting, and first time editting raws for creatures/entities. Which explains why I'm having issues, really.

So I decided that I wanted to create a few new civilizations in the raws - Dark Dwarves (which I affectionately named Kurig) and Trolls. I created new creature/entity raws for them, but whenever I generate a new world, it doesn't create their civilizations. It seems like it's just completely ignoring the raws I added for them for some reason. Why would that be?

Below are the creature/entity raws I've created for them. I figure I probably made a mistake in here somewhere that is preventing them from being used by world gen. Would any of you be able to tell me what I did wrong? Thanks!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bugs from Normal Games: "The game stutters for six seconds before crashing."
Bugs from Broken Games: "The lighting is weird and the characters have no faces."
Bugs from Dwarf Fortress: "The horses outnumber us. I have seen settlements with a thousand horses to a man. I have seen them in the deepest caverns. They are everywhere. Save us."

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1953 on: July 20, 2016, 02:59:30 pm »

Everything seems to be alright from what I'm seeing - though I'm not sure which version you're using, some of the creature tokens look unfamiliar to me, so I'm not sure if they're wrong or if they're from an earlier version.

If you have the entity entries as separate files, make sure the file structure looks something like this:

If you don't have the [OBJECT:ENTITY] there, the game won't read them. The entity_yourfilename header is also required on the first line of the file.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: July 20, 2016, 03:25:12 pm »

So I decided that I wanted to create a few new civilizations in the raws - Dark Dwarves (which I affectionately named Kurig) and Trolls. I created new creature/entity raws for them, but whenever I generate a new world, it doesn't create their civilizations. It seems like it's just completely ignoring the raws I added for them for some reason. Why would that be?
the troll might create a duplication error. maybe you need to make more civs in future worlds to get the custom civs to appear? what is in the error file?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

HellaJeff7312

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: July 20, 2016, 03:53:11 pm »

....So in my noobishness, I forgot to mention I am using the most current version 0.43.05. I also forgot there was an error log. Below is listed, among many billions of other things, what the error log was spitting out for the trolls and kurig.

I'm not really sure why it's not recognizing many of these things. The wiki says these are the tokens that need to be used.
Bugs from Normal Games: "The game stutters for six seconds before crashing."
Bugs from Broken Games: "The lighting is weird and the characters have no faces."
Bugs from Dwarf Fortress: "The horses outnumber us. I have seen settlements with a thousand horses to a man. I have seen them in the deepest caverns. They are everywhere. Save us."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: July 20, 2016, 03:54:53 pm »

CAN_TALK is actually CAN_SPEAK. Plus, you're using a wiki for an earlier version. STOUT, DAMBLOCK, CRAFSTMAN_NAME etc., FAT, SIZE, LAYERING and STANDARD_FLESH haven't been tokens since 0.31.01 in 2010. Those personality facets and SWIM_SPEED haven't been around since 0.40.01 in 2014. UNACCEPTABLE simply isn't right, not sure where you got that. The attack problems can be chalked up to the attack token above them being malformed or some stray proper creature token sneaking in in between them.

Basically, you're in 0.43 and trying to mod for 0.28.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:58:01 pm by Putnam »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1957 on: July 20, 2016, 06:05:57 pm »

Hmm... could simulate it a little bit, by having a very common (frequency 100,huge groups; other species to freq 1 to 10) species in the cave,
and that "civilized" species gets stronger via a mechanism of dead bodies releasing many boosting syndromes (speed, toughness, etc.). They might grow stronger over time. Or they grow stronger (larger) as time passes.
You kill some of the "mutator" species, their spilled blood/gas boosts their fellows.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: July 20, 2016, 06:11:45 pm »

Hmm... could simulate it a little bit, by having a very common (frequency 100,huge groups; other species to freq 1 to 10) species in the cave,
and that "civilized" species gets stronger via a mechanism of dead bodies releasing many boosting syndromes (speed, toughness, etc.). They might grow stronger over time. Or they grow stronger (larger) as time passes.
You kill some of the "mutator" species, their spilled blood/gas boosts their fellows.

Or, if I'm correct, he could give their blood a syndrome that has something like a 1/100 chance of working. That way over time they would occasionally get the boost, without needing dead bodies.

If that's how it works. I'm not sure if it is.
Er, atleast I think that's right.

deanec64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: July 23, 2016, 05:17:01 pm »

I'm in the process of reading and finding more about modding right at the moment since its not as hard as it looks. but my task is trying to update an older mod that has basically been abandoned for a Long time by its  author.

namely this
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=6439

my question is more, what should I keep an eye out for when I'm updating? it all seems to  be Creature & Entity. so thought to ask in here. I do hope I'm not going to do the task bad. thanks for your time.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: July 23, 2016, 09:26:04 pm »

Everything, really. All of the 50+ raw files have been changed since v34.11 days.

If you don't want to examine file_changes.txt to see what's gotten altered or removed since, get WinMerge or something and view the fresh installs of 34.11 and 43.05 against each other to see at a glance.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: July 24, 2016, 04:53:22 am »

Alternatively read the detailed change log and 'update notes' of each for auxiliary non-declared changes and consult the wiki. It's contained within 'file changes' in the version DF folder, the latest one will have the current and historical file changes contained within often with a lot of editable RAW centric tags being removed and added.

Again the wiki has a usually up to date collection of tokens to be applied which ill leave a link for you here.
DFWIKI - token

deanec64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: July 24, 2016, 05:20:29 am »

Everything seems to be alright from what I'm seeing - though I'm not sure which version you're using, some of the creature tokens look unfamiliar to me, so I'm not sure if they're wrong or if they're from an earlier version.

If you have the entity entries as separate files, make sure the file structure looks something like this:

If you don't have the [OBJECT:ENTITY] there, the game won't read them. The entity_yourfilename header is also required on the first line of the file.

man, fun times but  I'm checking and ensuring the tokens are exactly right line by line. so far it does seem legit. thanks for the pointers though :-)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1963 on: July 24, 2016, 12:05:51 pm »

my question is more, what should I keep an eye out for when I'm updating? it all seems to  be Creature & Entity. so thought to ask in here. I do hope I'm not going to do the task bad. thanks for your time.
Here's what DF2014 information I compiled for myself, when it was time to make the huge creatures update (gait speeds, attack_prepares, odorlevel, new skills, necks, multi-tile trees) for OldGenesis:

download link: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12296

Ignore the adding of [NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:1].
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:08:31 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

sirvente

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: July 26, 2016, 12:36:53 am »

Are there any good programs for for calculating how big a bodypart will be at a given creature size?
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 372