Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 686033 times)

terribleperson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1320 on: April 01, 2015, 12:45:32 pm »

Thank you! After adding pets (I thought I'd added those when I was originally creating them but must have gotten distracted), and adding some tokens to attempt to force hostility, I've gotten trade but still no hostility. I'll just have to try harder. They might not be hostile because they only seem to have survived in isolated areas..

edit: Okay yeah, they're getting murdered in worldgen. By Elves. Does anyone know where I can read up on the mechanics of world-gen warfare and optimize for them? I'm thinking I need the orcs to be more aggressive and attack first, but I'm not sure about that, and don't know how to achieve that.

edit: I changed their 'kill sentients' ethics to acceptable and required, and their eat sentients ethics to acceptable. I *think* they're more aggressive and one test (although that's a HORRIBLE sample size) says they're surviving much better. They're still not hostile to most of my civs, but I did get one dwarven civ at war with both Goblins and Orcs, so that's progress.

edit: Gave up and added ITEM_THIEF. Between that and utterances, I'm pretty sure they're perma-hostile. Sadly, not much war, but hostile will do.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 05:34:32 pm by terribleperson »

Ops Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: April 03, 2015, 08:06:37 pm »

I am trying to mod in a few "dire" creatures like direwolfs and lions to make the world more hostile and I have a few questions.

This is what I have so far,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have that stuck directly under the wolf entry in the text file and done nothing else, that will add this creature to the game right?

My next question is how do I make this thing stronger and tougher without making it giant?

Will the opposed_to_all_life tag will let it wander the world killing things rather than confining it to evil biomes?
Likes Goblins for their terrifying features because I can slaughter them with gleeful abandon.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: April 03, 2015, 08:22:27 pm »

Do you have a creature variation called DIRE? If not, then [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:DIRE] will not do anything.

To confine something to an evil biome, it must have the [EVIL] tag, otherwise it will live in any applicable biome.

The tag you want is [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE], and will make the creature attack anything that is considered alive. It will not wander the world though; it will simply exist in its biome, unless it becomes a historical figure. It may gain a reputation, and hide in a lair instead.

To make it more durable, you could give it [GENERAL_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:1:2] to reduce the damage it takes by half. Adjusting its materials can also improve durability and strength. To improve its attacks, you can alter its attack tokens, making them hit deeper and with more force.

Finally, you can alter its physical and mental attributes as well.

Zombiecow99

• Bay Watcher
  • ENEMIES! We Need Enemies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: April 04, 2015, 11:58:24 am »

Does anyone know why my dwarf fortress is crashing while playing my custom race? its something about a nemesis.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: April 04, 2015, 08:20:38 pm »

Does anyone know why my dwarf fortress is crashing while playing my custom race? its something about a nemesis.
Its a corrupted save, a historical figure has gone missing. And the game tries to have it visit the map... lets say something bugged out on the human diplomat, but the game is just trying to spawn the human diplomat on your map.

Bam, Nemesis Error. Savegame corrupted.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: April 04, 2015, 08:25:51 pm »

Technically speaking, the corruption has already occurred, but it's almost certainly not due to your custom race.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1326 on: April 06, 2015, 08:16:22 am »

My next question is how do I make this thing stronger and tougher without making it giant?
give them some Strength, Dexterity, speed, and skills. in particular, the Dodging skill makes them survive longer.
Also: a huge layer of fat under the skin gives boosted survival.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: April 06, 2015, 07:55:10 pm »

Do we know yet how MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER and GENERAL_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER interact with each other?
Also how they respond to themselves(does it overwrite itself, multiplied together, etc)?

If you don't get what I'm asking then an example to answer.
Code: [Select]
[GENERAL_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:1:2]
[MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:INORGANIC:IRON:1:3]

[CASTE:REGULAR]
  [GENERAL_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:2:1]
 [CASTE:WETF]
  [MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:INORGANIC:IRON:6:1]
 [CASTE:AWETF]
  [MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:INORGANIC:IRON:1:4]
What would the final material multipliers be for each caste?

Spoiler: Underlying Assumption (click to show/hide)
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: April 06, 2015, 08:31:54 pm »

I'm pretty sure that:

1. The REGULAR caste will have double force while the others will have half.
2. The WETF caste will have sextuple force while others (not counting AWETF) will have 1/3.
3. AWETF will have 1/4.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: April 06, 2015, 09:05:18 pm »

I'm pretty sure that:

1. The REGULAR caste will have double force while the others will have half.
2. The WETF caste will have sextuple force while others (not counting AWETF) will have 1/3.
3. AWETF will have 1/4.
Thank you!
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: April 09, 2015, 08:40:42 am »

Trying to get my rabbit race to grow to adulthood in 4 months.

The wiki has the [CHILD] token take an integer.  Is there any way to have my rabbit people get to adult in less than a full year?  Otherwise I'll have ~40 children per mother by the time the first one reaches adulthood.

(Also, I guess this is relevant for the [BABY] token too...

----------------

While I am here: I realise I should probably use [RELSIZE] instead of a custom body plan for making rabbits have large legs compared to other grasping quadrupeds with necks.  I'm using [QUADRUPED_NECK_FRONT_GRASP], so I figure...

[RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:LEG_REAR:1300] (default was 900, so 1.3x increase)
[RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:FOOT_REAR:180] (default was 120, so same relative increase)

Does that work?  I have no idea how to tell in-game, other than, I guess, measuring kicks.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:29:21 am by Nil Athelion »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: April 09, 2015, 09:57:42 am »

Trying to get my rabbit race to grow to adulthood in 4 months.

The wiki has the [CHILD] token take an integer.  Is there any way to have my rabbit people get to adult in less than a full year?  Otherwise I'll have ~40 children per mother by the time the first one reaches adulthood.

(Also, I guess this is relevant for the [BABY] token too...

You can make them grow to full adult size at "day" precision, but it looks like baby-to-child and child-to-adult transitions occur only on birthdays.  Might be worth heading over to the Suggestions forum.

In the meantime, you could do something really complicated with interactions to transform them from a "child" caste to an "adult" caste at a certain time.

While I am here: I realise I should probably use [RELSIZE] instead of a custom body plan for making rabbits have large legs compared to other grasping quadrupeds with necks.  I'm using [QUADRUPED_NECK_FRONT_GRASP], so I figure...

[RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:LEG_REAR:1300] (default was 900, so 1.3x increase)
[RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:FOOT_REAR:180] (default was 120, so same relative increase)

Does that work?  I have no idea how to tell in-game, other than, I guess, measuring kicks.
This is the recommended way to do this.  The body part will take up RELSIZE/(sum of all RELSIZEs) of the creature's overall SIZE.  You can also play around with body appearance modifiers if you want to have individual variability for long legs, wide feet, etc.  There are a few hard-coded ranges to choose from, and just be aware that small-to-big is not among them.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: April 09, 2015, 03:39:17 pm »

Thanks Dirst!  Suggestion is away, and the rabbit creature type is more or less done.  Fired it up in the arena, and only got two errors! (One of which is a typo.)

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to have them only kick with their back legs, and never with their front legs.  Kicking also seems weak in general, as it appears to be based on the size of the foot, which leaves punches and kicks equal.  Fortunately, rabbits have big feet, if you count everything below the ankle (they are digitigrade), but still...

Ideally, I would have an attack-with-category attack that uses an entire leg, but not sure how to do that or if it is possible.

I have confirmed that [ATTACK:KICK:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:LEG] doesn't work, though...

Any way to have only the rear feet attack, not the front [stance] body parts as well?

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: April 10, 2015, 07:27:56 am »

Is there any way arround the issue of flying civilized creatures getting stuck in trees while being controled in fortress mode?
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: April 10, 2015, 10:35:33 am »

No, I don't think so.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 372